Does AT&T allow yearly iPhone upgrade

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spiderman0616, Oct 4, 2011.

1. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I have always been able to do yearly phone upgrades at AT&T if I sign a new 2 year contract. Do they also allow this on the iPhone? I was just told by a co-worker that if I want to buy the new iPhone that I would have to pay full price because AT&T will not allow me to upgrade.

Any truth to that? I have friends who have had every iPhone on AT&T and I'm pretty sure they didn't pay full price.

2. zmulleni macrumors regular

zmulleni

Dial *639# right from your iPhone. It will send you a message pertaining to your upgrade eligibility. I would also check a couple days before preorder starts as the upgrade date may be changed.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Typically AT&T will push up your upgrade date. You must log into your account and see what they say. Often the amount you pay and the length of time you've been a customer (and your payment history) has a lot to do with how generous they are with your contract.

In the end, you signed this funny legal document called a contract that expired 2 years after the date of execution. If you don't get the upgrade then just remember, they're not obligated to give you an upgrade but you are obligated to live out the term of your contract.

4. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

If you spend over $100 a month on the line in question, yes, you get upgrades every 12 months at fully subsidized pricing.

5. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

Not true anymore. I've been a customer since 07 pay via autopay and have a $152 per month bill. And I am not due for an upgrade until 11/25 and I bought it on the first day.

6. spiderman0616 thread starter macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Thanks for this--I did it and I am allowed to upgrade to a new phone in March, or I can pay a little extra and upgrade now with a new 2 year contract. If it's a 4S, I will not do it. If it's a 5, I am totally on board. I will pay whatever extra fee they want.

7. auxsend macrumors regular

8. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

You are living in the past!

Today is quite different!:eek:

9. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

Yes, your bill is $152. How many lines to get to that total?

----------

As of when? I upgraded on iPhone 4 day and was eligible one year later. Same as every other time.
    Actually, I was even eligible from one year of when I preordered, not even activation/delivery day.

10. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I can vouch for that in my case, bought the iPhone4 in November 2010 and my subsidized upgrade date is currently shown as Nov 6, 2011. The iPhone portion of my bill is exactly $100 before taxes.

11. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

It's been reported on here that going forward the yearly upgrades will be done away with once upgrades are done from the previous year and everyone will be on the 18-22 month upgrade cycle. Rather it's true or not remains to be seen, but it wouldn't shock me at this point.

----------

I purchased mine on 12/4/2010 and I'm eligible to upgrade on 12/4/11 as well, but it's being reported that after we upgrade on this yearly cycle that will cease to exist.

12. OMGbrandon macrumors 6502

OMGbrandon

13. -Ozzy- macrumors member

At&t used to allow an 18 month upgrade after upgrading for a 2 year contract, but they no longer do so. Now it does not matter whether you spend more than $100 or are the primary line on the contract. you must wait the full 24 months of your contract in order to upgrade again. so choose well my friends.

14. jman240 macrumors 6502a

I'm on a family plan, over $200 a month spent, iPhone 4 bought the day right after launch day and my upgrade date is in Feb so about 18 months. Maybe they changed it so that the over $200 mark now gets you 18 instead of it being the over $100 mark. (thanks unlimited texting =)

15. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

I have two iPhones on a family plan.

16. -Ozzy- macrumors member

If you got your iphone 4 near its launch date (16 months ago?) then your 18 month status remains the same. Regardless of your bill. Now if you try to upgrade NOW, then AT&T will notify you that the 18 month rule no longer applies and you'll have to wait 24 months after THIS upgrade. It's a new company rule.

17. Mazda 3s macrumors 6502

Mazda 3s

Not true. I bought an iPhone 3GS on day one, and was eligible to upgrade to an iPhone 4 on launch day.

I just checked the upgrade status of my launch day iPhone 4 and it says I can upgrade next month. I pay roughly $124 a month after employee discount for two iPhones, 700 shared minutes, no texting, and unlimited data for both phones.

[​IMG]

18. -Ozzy- macrumors member

Again, read my post again. This is a new company rule. In other words, it's somewhat like the new att data plan. If you've had the unlimited data plan, then it'll be grandfathered to your new plan, however if you left att for any other carrier and then comeback, then you'll get a big fat NO from then and you'll have to settle for a 2-5 GB internet data plan.
    Same thing for the upgrade, if you upgraded a year ago or so, you still can upgrade after 18 months. Now AFTER this upgrade, you'll have to wait the full 24 month of your 2 year contract.

I just went there YESTERDAY, and the manager explained this to me.

19. marci65 macrumors newbie

That's a helpful explanation. When was this new rule effective, with the 24-month upgrade timeframe?

We have a fam plan from March 2010. We are eligible for the new iPhones at the 20-month point, in late November. The primary line was eligible earlier, but we like to upgrade all phones at the same time.

20. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Depends on your monthly bill. Normally, if you bill is always above $100/month on a single line, then, your upgrade cycle is almost always yearly.

21. mikepro macrumors 6502

Uh... did you read your text? They are telling you that you can upgrade next month if you pay an extra $250 on top of the upgrade price. So, the minimum you will have to pay is $449 ($199 + $250) if you want to upgrade early.

22. Type X macrumors regular

This man is correct.

----------

The Iphone 4 was a special exception, Apple/At&T knew taht the verizon one was dropping & they were losing the "exclusivity" & anyone that in the ENTIRE year of 2010 was bumped up to the 4's launch date.

23. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Not true as of February or so. AT&T has said they'll honor the remaining upgrade, but after that it'll be every 20 months regardless of the bill. Another reason I'm very hesitant to upgrade - sure it'd cost me very little to upgrade to the 4s right now, but that may screw me out of getting the 5 (or 6 or whatever the hell they call it) at the no commitment price.

24. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

This is EXACTLY what my AT&T rep just told me.:p

Like I said, it is not like it used to be.

25. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I did a check and AT&T listed the 64GB at $649 with the lower pricing available in February. It looks like they're not doing anything special for iPhone owners anymore. I'm betting that most of us IPhone owners got their phones around the same time and will wait until February, if at all, to get the 4S.