Does auto-correct piss you off?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iRabbit, Jun 5, 2010.

1. iRabbit macrumors 6502

The only time I really find myself cursing at the iPad is when I do a lot of typing, like now, and the auto-correct can't keep up.

So often I have to go back and fix the letter "I" because it's lowercase. I think because I can type pretty fast, it just cant keep up and misses things, like auto-capitalizing a stand-alone "I".

What's with correcting correct words? Occasionally it randomly just corrects a word that is already correct, changing it to some completely different word!

And often, the suggestions are so off-base it's laughable. A good example is the word "I've"... I type ive and it wants to correct it to vie, not I've.

The random capitalization in the middle of a sentence drives me nuts... It seems to occur most when you try to go back and correct something...

Am i alone? Does it drive anyone else just a little bit crazy?

2. pondie84 macrumors 6502a

Yes it is a little annoying but I live with it. I think it's better than having no autocorrect but I'm sure there are those who'd disagree.

3. $MacUser$ macrumors 6502

Autocorrect can be turned off, right? I was never fond of that feature.

4. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Yes, I'm with you on this. Sometimes the little standalone "i" gets capitalized, but more often than not it doesn't. That drives me insane because it slows down the entire typing process. I also agree that it's a pain in the ass that it doesn't recognize that Ive should be I've or Thats should be That's. Seems like a software fix would take care of it ...

5. ukyo229 Guest

Yes it does piss me off. It isn't needed, and turns the younger generation into dribbling morons who don't know how to spell common words.

Many times I have witnessed native English speakers with English skills below that of a second language student from China ect. :(

6. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

It's usually pretty good and probably fixes more typos than it introduces, but it does need refining. I like the replace feature, but it misses a lot of common errors that should be presented as options.

And I hate and cannot believe the fact that it doesn't think 'its' is ever a word without an apostrophe.

The horror.

/englishteacher

7. Doju macrumors 68000

I was pretty annoyed when I wrote "eith" meaning to write "with" (one key off) when I tapped and hit "Replace" the word "with" wasn't even an option!

8. btrav13 macrumors 6502

One of the keys to stopping some auto-correct frustration is to avoid conjunctions. I have begun doing that for a while now and life is just easier. However, this does nothing for your "i" problem :)

9. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

Sometimes I mistype a word and the auto correction picks such a random word I have no idea why it did that. But better than none I guess.

10. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

And when I spell hell, it gives me he'll every time.

11. iRabbit thread starter macrumors 6502

The same shorthand that's on the iPhone should be on the iPad... For example:

If you type weree the auto correct makes it we're...
    If you type Illl the auto correct makes it I'll...
    Shelll become she'll...
    There's more of them too that I can't think of right now.

I don't know why the iPad auto correct doesn't have these too!

12. CarboysDesire macrumors 6502a

CarboysDesire

DING DING DING DING DING!!!!!!!!!

I use the F-word in my vocabulary more than I should but online I try to be decent and tone it down to hell but sonofabitch it comes out as he'll EVERY TIME. That just gets my potty mouth going big time.

Really, Steve? We can't type hell????? :rolleyes:

13. iZac macrumors 68000

iZac

I wish I could override specific errors it gives me, which keep appearing. For some reason, by accident I once typed someones name and hit the caps for the last letter. Now EVERY time I write their name, it autocorrects it to that. I don't want to erase everything its learnt - just get rid of that one anomaly.

Damn thing.

very glad OS 4 is bringing a more full featured spelling correction system though, including that embarrassing red marker :rolleyes:

14. KandyKane macrumors 6502

I wish there was a way I could go in and add specific words and delete specific words. Samething with my iPhone, whenever I write 'me' it autocorrects it to 'mr', like WTF?
    I don't think I've added any stupid words in the ipad yet, huh... it didn't auto correct iPad just then... :( and then it just did, very inconsistent.

15. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Same here.

16. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

17. paulisme macrumors 6502

It's "etc." People in glass houses...

18. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

Yes . . .

. . . so I turned if off. I agree it's kind of annoying.

19. mrcc macrumors regular

Sometimes the correct spelling comes out as a misspelled word. That part pisses me of.

20. ijen0311 macrumors 65816

ijen0311

Glad it's not just me. My iPad autocorrect is much less intuitive than my iPhone is :confused: I've reset the dictionary but it hasn't helped.

21. DisneyRicky macrumors regular

DisneyRicky

I've had a few times where I was typing really fast and clicked send...luckily it fixed it for me (how embarrassing!) But more often then not, it changes words to something completely different! I type in haha, and it changes it to taco. lol

22. spectre51 macrumors 6502

spectre51

There are some minor annoyances but for the most part its great. I find myself wishing OS X had the same auto-correct as the iphone/ipad.

23. paulisme macrumors 6502

Doesn't anyone proofread these days? We can't be in that much of a hurry.

24. Peter Harrison macrumors 6502a

Peter Harrison

I actually quite like it as it fixes more mistakes than it causes and you learn what words to watch for. And remember you can always turn it off if you don't want it.

25. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Yep, that bothers the he'll out of me!:mad: