Does iPhone do these things yet?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bigddybn, Oct 16, 2010.

1. bigddybn macrumors member

1. Threaded SMS from email.

Previously when getting SMS that was sent via email each one would show as coming from a different sequential number instead of threading. I think this was ATT issue more than iPhone. Has this changed?

2. Per contact SMS tone.

Can this be done in any way? A jailbreak app would be fine also if it exists.

3. Antenna issue fixed?

Is this a non issue now if using a case?

4. Proximity sensor fixed?

Seen a few reports that 4.1 fixed this.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

3. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

2 can be done with the new version of bitesms. Probably the best JB app.

4. hcho3 macrumors 68030

You forgot to mention the question, "Does it print money?"

5. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

1. No

2. Not yet

3. There never was an antenna issue. People complained that if one gripped the phone with their left hand tightly, around the black line, which is the antenna area, then it will drop signal...duh

You tell me, does this sound like an issue, or people just not being rational?

I carry my iPhone 4 without a case, and have never dropped a call, even though I get about 1-2 bars

4. It is fixed, don't worry.

P.S.
    don't let people's overreaction to the iPhone 4 get to you.
    Do your own research, visit an Apple Store and see for yourself if the phone has the issues or not.

6. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

No, but if you want all those you need patience for Apple to continue adding features, fixes with future generations.

7. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

It does, if you buy the one with the bigger geebees.

8. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Let's wait and see if the iPhone 5 has a new redesign.

They didn't create the bumper "solution" at launch just because they thought they looked cool.

9. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

4. honestly, even though the proximity sensor is no issue to me due to the fact that i never touch the screen with my face because i consider that ... icky, i do not think that one can safely say the issue is 100% 'fixed'

doing hands-free phone-between-face-and-shoulder calling, which i aslo hardly ever do, i actually muted the call.

10. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

1) No
    2) BiteSMS
    3) No known changes were made to the antenna.
    4) It depends on your face.

11. Dias macrumors 6502

Antenna issue hasn't been fixed, and I doubt it will ever be.

12. shandyman Suspended

that's an ATT issue.

Yes, without jailbreaking in iOS 4.2 coming November

only a small percentage have this problem, i know 20 people that have gotten the iPhone 4 and not a single one can replicate this problem

yup it's pretty much fixed, i had this problem, 4.1 fixed it

13. lexvo macrumors 65816

3. Depends on the signal strength you have.
    In my house signal strength is quite weak. Here I can do the death grip very easy: if I hold it loosely at the black stripes I get a 'No service' in 20-30 seconds. Now I have a case and that solves this problem.
    In the city center however I have 5 bars signal and even when I try to death grip it, the 5 bars remain. On my work I have 4-5 bars signal and there I loose 1-2 bars when doing the death grip.

4. I don't have a problem at al with the proximity sensor. When the phone is 1-2 inches from my face, the screen switches off.

14. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

I'd say that's an issue. Fanbois fail really hard

15. bigddybn thread starter macrumors member

I guess I should have known better than to expect rational answers around here.

The antenna issue was widely demonstrated and easily replicated. No "death grip" needed. I was simply asking if it wasn't an issue with a case on. A monoprice TPU case would be first purchase. Put down your pitchforks.

Thanks for the BiteSMS tip. Didn't know it existed. Does this completely replace the stock app? Dual notifications would suck.

16. shandyman Suspended

actually there are some rational answers. Everyone i know with an iPhone 4 doesn't have an antenna issue, my neighbour did with his, we compared tested in various places, his had it, mine didn't, his was a launch day phone, mine was about a month after, he got his replaced, no antenna issue. it's a rarity to get one now that has it.

plus as i said, iOS 4.2 will do the sms tone per contact when it comes out in around a month, no need to jailbreak for BiteSMS.

17. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Yes, a case always fixes it, since thats probably what you're looking for. That said, you had to grip it pretty hard as long as you had more than one bar (at least, I did)

And as said, iOS 4.2 coming in November includes per contact SMS tones

18. samcraig macrumors P6

It's not even worth getting into a discussion about this. Ignorance is bliss - and if you feel that there was never an issue - fine. But once you start questioning people's rationality over the matter - you just look ignorant.

19. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

A case prevents the issue. I bought a 99 cent case (US) on ebay until I could get a better one for the office iPhone.

20. shandyman Suspended

it was an issue, as stated my neighbour had it on his, i didn't on mine we tested the phones in the same places and his had the issue, mine didn't. so its not an issue with every phone. out of 20 people i know with one, only one had the issue and the neighbour got his replaced, new on had no issue...

21. samcraig macrumors P6

Andy I agree. I see it as twofold. There is an overall issue with signal attenuation with all phones to varying degrees based on antenna placement and where the phone is held. AND there's the fact that some phones experience this greater than others which may or may not (undetermined) have anything to do with the 1st sccenario.

22. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

For the last time: It depends on where you are.

Taken this morning with 4.1 installed:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgY239padfA&fmt=22

Using a single finger:
    3 bars of 3G to zero 3G in 16 seconds.
    Then 1 bar of EDGE to 0 bars of EDGE in 18 seconds.

So no, you don't have to squeeze it. You clearly live in an area with better signal. Telling people that there's good signal like yours everywhere doesn't help anyone. You don't know where the OP lives.

That said, OP, any phone case fixes this if you have the problem. Also, you might not live in an area like this! My house and my work are the only places this happens. Everywhere else around town it's fine. So it REALLY depends on where you live.

23. samcraig macrumors P6

Stop being irrational! ;)

24. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I can't help it! It's just who I am! ;)

25. shandyman Suspended

no it does not, see my posts 2 iPhones, one with antenna issue, one without tested in exactly the same spots....