Does the camera need an upgrade for you to buy the next iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Z8beema, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Z8beema macrumors 6502

Z8beema

Question is in the title

For me, it may be a deal breaker and I may go 5s if it isn't greatly improved. I don't feel the cameras are awful, but compared to some cameras on other phones, there's a lot to be desired.

2. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

Not in the least, the camera is more than adequate for what I use it for

3. cynics macrumors G4

It's more then adequate enough for me now. I wouldn't mind improvements though.

4. Kaylor macrumors regular

Kaylor

Definitely not a deal breaker for what I use it for, but improvements are always welcome.

5. Z8beema thread starter macrumors 6502

Z8beema

I just feel, although there has been some
    Improvements throughout each generation, I find androids in general take better pictures (talking of course about premium devices that are comparable)

6. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

All reviews I've read around iPhone 5S release and the rest of 2013 have stated iPhone has the best camera compared to the top-end Androids. Having said that, I would want more improvements on the iPhone 6's camera.

I bet iPhone 6 will have a more open aperture (to help with low-light photos), some sort of optical stabilization, and "improved slow-motion".

7. RiddlaBronc macrumors 6502a

RiddlaBronc

I just hope we get at least a 10mp camera (i know mp is the end of all) but it will be nice.

I suspect we will be able to record slo mo in 1080p or at least we will be able to record in more frames per second.

8. Z8beema thread starter macrumors 6502

Z8beema

I've never used the iPhones slow motion before... Is it bad or just needs improvement?

9. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

Nope. For my needs, which aren't much, the current camera is more than good enough. I do welcome improvements though, but I won't pass up the next iPhone I get due to the camera.

10. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

It's nice and very useful...but the quality isn't the best. It's "720p HD" but definitely doesn't look it. If you compared iPhone 4's 720p HD video to the iPhone 5S' slow-motion HD video (also 720p), the iPhone 4 has better quality video.

See this article (which may or not be 100% true but points out the subpar video quality):

http://blog.gsmarena.com/the-apple-iphone-5s-is-not-actually-recording-720p-slo-mo-video/

11. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

But the camera is always upgraded. But to your question. No. Even if it had the same camera as the 5s I'd get it.

12. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

The only deal breaker for me is battery life. If the battery is no significantly better, I won't buy.

13. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

This is also my understanding as well... the current iPhone 5S has the better camera lens and better quality picture than any Samsung or competitor phones on the market. By the way the 5S camera is much better than the 5 camera as well. It also appears that with every update on the iPhone there has been improvements to the camera lens. So I don't understand this thread..

14. Z8beema thread starter macrumors 6502

Z8beema

It's cool... You don't need to understand... It'll still be here for you to freely agree with comments and question it's existence

15. I7guy macrumors G5

This. That said:
    - more megapixels
    - ois
    - f/2
    - more dynamic range

Would always be welcome.

16. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

Absolutely not. I have a DSLR and mirrorless camera, so if I know I'm going somewhere where quality is of importance, I'll take my DSLR or mirrorless camera. I really only use my iPhone camera for quick or fun snaps.

17. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I wouldn't say it's a deal breaker, but I would expect a better camera just so it can keep up with top of the line android cameras like the G3 and S5.

I prefer the iPhone's camera because it's simple and does everything well. Really has no glaring weaknesses except not having a lot of megapixels.

They could throw in OIS and maybe go to 10 MP. Maybe refine dual flash so it's a little quicker. That would be more than enough IMO.

18. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

Nope.

I have an iPhone 4...barely working. I remember when i first got it, the photos were really great. decent video too.

My wife has a 5, great video and pictures.
    I had a 5S for a brief while for work...better photos and video
    I tested a Samsung Galaxy S4 last year. Sometimes the photos were better than the 4 but other times they weren't.

My hope is the camera is better, along with a bunch of other things, otherwise me waiting on the iPhone 6 instead of getting a 5S won't seem as worth it.

All the rumors of a larger screen seem interesting but really, I am fine with the 5S, but feel at this point I may as well wait. Anything will be an improvement

19. joshkhaos1 macrumors 6502

Whenever I took pictures on Android phones (note 3, galaxy S4) they came out sort of grainy a lot of times...sometimes it would stall for a second when I clicked the shutter button before the picture actually would take.

I've never seen these issues on the iphone cameras.

20. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

Yes, but I don't care about megapixels. Heck, they could drop to six megapixels and I wouldn't care, as long as the photo quality improved. In my non-expert opinion, the single most important things they could do is increase the aperture size to f/2.0 or f/1.8 (if this is even possible on a camera so small), and increase sensor size (or, keep the same sensor size and reduce megapixel count).

21. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

My camera is a DSLR. I'm pretty sure whatever happens to the iPhone camera it won't beat my current set up (see signature).
    Will I upgrade to the iPhone 6?
    I'll decide when it's announced.

22. Z8beema thread starter macrumors 6502

Z8beema

To my understanding the 5 & 5s use the same screen correct? So the quality of the picture would have nothing to do with that right? Meaning that the camera on the 5s is solely the reason? Is all of this right?

23. gbkrip macrumors member

Increasing screen size in the upcoming iPhone is enough for me! A better camera would be awesome, but it isn't an area that I consider weak on the current generation.

24. I7guy macrumors G5

They will not reduce megapixels. Mega-pixels are the holy grail of phone cameras. Even though photographers know megapixels are largely independent of IQ.

25. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

For what is supposedly a higher end device it would be nice to have a real xenon flash like my much older much cheaper phone.