Does the iPad get hot during use?

efyou

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Say you are watching a movie or gaming for a half hour, does it get hot to the touch? My iPhone gets pretty dang warm during heavy use so I'm wondering if it's similar..

DS3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2011
Say you are watching a movie or gaming for a half hour, does it get hot to the touch? My iPhone gets pretty dang warm during heavy use so I'm wondering if it's similar..
Not for a movie or light gaming. Really intense games like Infinity Blade 2 will warm it up, but I wouldn't call it "hot to the touch" like a lot of laptops can get. Just a bit warm.

So really, no. This has a lot to do with there being no moving parts.

Anlino

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2012
I have spent the last 30 minutes playing Zuma's Revenge HD on my iPad 2, with the smart cover on the back, and I can hardly feel any heat from it. It stays cold to room temperature pretty much all the time. I really hope the iPad 3 stays the same.

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
The black screen collects heat in the summer. Like crazy. Never let it lie in bright sunlight. You will certainly regret it... Just a comment.

It's not changing temperature during use, at least not for me.

efyou

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Why does the iPhone get so warm and not the iPad? Might be a dumb question but I dunno..

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
While it is true that the iPad is a hot item, mine has never been hot to the touch while using it. :)

dgstan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Why does the iPhone get so warm and not the iPad? Might be a dumb question but I dunno..
The iPhone guts are packed so much tighter. That alone will make it get hotter. Maybe the glass -vs- aluminium back dissipate heat differently.

DS3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2011
I'd imagine its because a good deal of the heat is generated by the CPU/GPU, who are similar/the same in a much smaller device.

edit: and what the guy above said...

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
Because the phone crams the electronics in a smaller space. Plus the phone gets hotter with the use of its cellular electronics more than anything.

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
My iPhone often gets warm from taking video, etc, but I've never felt my iPad be warm in the least.

efyou

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
The black screen collects heat in the summer. Like crazy. Never let it lie in bright sunlight. You will certainly regret it... Just a comment.

Thanks for the tip. I've gotten my iPhone so hot once that it actually shut off with a message that it was too hot. I had left it in my vehicle in the sun for too long.

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
The real question is will the new iPad get hot in your hand? It's got more leds for the display as well as a larger battery for the same amount of usage. I would guess that the new iPad will feel warm but not hot.

darwinian

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
In R4, more or less
iPad 1 and 2 did not get hot for me. Under heavy Skype usage, my iPad 2 got a bit warm in my very warm room. However, I just noticed that the new iPad is noticeably warmer, without really having done anything on it. Assuming for now this is normal?

Badbermac

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2012

My black iPhone shut itself down when I left it in my car in summer, very nice feature

iHeartsteve

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2012
I freaked out when I first got my ipad in the first 45 min it was a little hot. But now that I've used it longer, the heat went away. Which normally would be the other way around.

So maybe its first start up fluke??

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
My iPad 3 gets pretty warm, but that's to be expected. Apple doesn't care if their products get warm or even hot.

They like thin... & put form over function.

It doesn't matter to me cause I just get rid of them & upgrade each year anyway. That's what Apple counts on.