Does the iPad get hot during use?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by efyou, Mar 11, 2012.

1. efyou macrumors regular

Say you are watching a movie or gaming for a half hour, does it get hot to the touch? My iPhone gets pretty dang warm during heavy use so I'm wondering if it's similar..

2. ppfd macrumors regular

ppfd

Ipad 1 here, and never felt any heat with mine.

3. DS3 macrumors 6502a

Not for a movie or light gaming. Really intense games like Infinity Blade 2 will warm it up, but I wouldn't call it "hot to the touch" like a lot of laptops can get. Just a bit warm.

So really, no. This has a lot to do with there being no moving parts.

4. efyou thread starter macrumors regular

5. dgstan macrumors 6502a

My iPhone 4 will get quite warm when streaming videos. My iPad, never.

6. Gatecitybee macrumors member

Gatecitybee

I've never felt any heat from mine, and I put that thing through it's paces.

7. jsf721 macrumors 6502

8. Anlino macrumors member

I have spent the last 30 minutes playing Zuma's Revenge HD on my iPad 2, with the smart cover on the back, and I can hardly feel any heat from it. It stays cold to room temperature pretty much all the time. I really hope the iPad 3 stays the same.

9. pmau macrumors 65816

The black screen collects heat in the summer. Like crazy. Never let it lie in bright sunlight. You will certainly regret it... Just a comment.

It's not changing temperature during use, at least not for me.

10. gamecube117 macrumors 6502

Awesome. Another reason why I'm buying it to replace my Macbook Pro.

11. efyou thread starter macrumors regular

Why does the iPhone get so warm and not the iPad? Might be a dumb question but I dunno..

12. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

While it is true that the iPad is a hot item, mine has never been hot to the touch while using it. :)

13. dgstan macrumors 6502a

The iPhone guts are packed so much tighter. That alone will make it get hotter. Maybe the glass -vs- aluminium back dissipate heat differently.

14. DS3 macrumors 6502a

I'd imagine its because a good deal of the heat is generated by the CPU/GPU, who are similar/the same in a much smaller device.

edit: and what the guy above said...

15. foiden macrumors 6502a

Because the phone crams the electronics in a smaller space. Plus the phone gets hotter with the use of its cellular electronics more than anything.

16. HelveticaNeue macrumors 6502a

HelveticaNeue

My iPhone often gets warm from taking video, etc, but I've never felt my iPad be warm in the least.

17. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I have never noticed any heat when using my iPad 1...

18. efyou thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the tip. I've gotten my iPhone so hot once that it actually shut off with a message that it was too hot. I had left it in my vehicle in the sun for too long.

19. WLS macrumors 65816

The real question is will the new iPad get hot in your hand? It's got more leds for the display as well as a larger battery for the same amount of usage. I would guess that the new iPad will feel warm but not hot.

20. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

iPad 1 and 2 did not get hot for me. Under heavy Skype usage, my iPad 2 got a bit warm in my very warm room. However, I just noticed that the new iPad is noticeably warmer, without really having done anything on it. Assuming for now this is normal?

21. Badbermac macrumors newbie

My black iPhone shut itself down when I left it in my car in summer, very nice feature

22. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

I freaked out when I first got my ipad in the first 45 min it was a little hot. But now that I've used it longer, the heat went away. Which normally would be the other way around.

So maybe its first start up fluke??

23. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

My iPad 3 gets pretty warm, but that's to be expected. Apple doesn't care if their products get warm or even hot.

They like thin... & put form over function.

It doesn't matter to me cause I just get rid of them & upgrade each year anyway. That's what Apple counts on.

24. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

My White 4S will cook an egg on the back after i've used TomTom GPS for an hour or so.