Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jodie1987

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2016
if I wipe the back of my jet black iphone 7 plus with a soft cloth will this scratch the iphone 7 plus?

Talkingtoaster

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2014
UK
Run it under the tap. If any particles are on it your essentially just rubbing them into the surface. Don't press down too hard obviously

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
if I wipe the back of my jet black iphone 7 plus with a soft cloth will this scratch the iphone 7 plus?
Only if your cloth and/or the phone already has something like a sand particle on it.

Don't worry too much about it. If you're feeling really paranoid, shake out the cloth, run your finger down the back of the phone, and wipe away. I'm still using my shirt and the leg of my jeans.

Sunny1990

Suspended
Feb 13, 2015
All the phones are prone to micro-abrasions. The jet black's finish makes them easiest to see. Just like a black car shows swirl marks, but the lighter color cars have just as many. It is what it is, no big deal.
IMG_0018.PNG

They are clearly stating about the jet black color on their website that it will get micro abrasions with normal usage and recommend a case to protect it from scratches unlike other colors

Last edited:

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
View attachment 660381
They are clearly stating about the jet black color on their website that it will get micro abrasions with normal usage and recommend a case to protect it from scratches unlike other colors
Did you actually read what you quoted, because it says exactly what I said: the aluminum is just as hard, but the jet black will show micro abrasions more easily. The language is crystal clear. All the iPhones abrade the same, but the jet black's finish shows it more than the rest.

Attachments

• IMG_2153.PNG
    IMG_2153.PNG
    41.3 KB · Views: 133

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
How many threads do we need about this? If you get the JB either be super careful and use a case, or understand it's going to get a little nicked up. Who cares. It does not scratch any easy then the gold, rose gold, silver, or matte black. It's just that it shows scratches more. Good grief get over it. I love my JB 7, and if it get a few micro scratches who cares it's a freaking phone.

Sunny1990

Suspended
Feb 13, 2015
Did you actually read what you quoted, because it says exactly what I said: the aluminum is just as hard, but the jet black will show micro abrasions more easily. The language is crystal clear. All the iPhones abrade the same, but the jet black's finish shows it more than the rest.
I just said what i read on website and even in my first post and nor did say it's deal breaker just crystal clear

Reactions: BoneCollector

laurenbanjo

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014
Yep, I wipe mine on my shirt all the time. No scratches, even in full light.
I managed to scratch mine while wiping it before putting a skin on. Must've been something that was on the cloth. But the skin hides it so I can't see it anymore. Although it the bubbles in this skin don't go away in 48 hours I'm going to go crazy so I'll have to take it off lol

Reactions: Sunny1990

MacTechnics

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2014
I managed to scratch mine while wiping it before putting a skin on. Must've been something that was on the cloth. But the skin hides it so I can't see it anymore. Although it the bubbles in this skin don't go away in 48 hours I'm going to go crazy so I'll have to take it off lol

Amazing that something on a cloth can scratch it so easily. SMH.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I just said what i read on website and even in my first post and nor did say it's deal breaker just crystal clear

No, you wrote in your first post that it's prone to micro-scratches, as if JB actually gets more of them compared to matte aluminum. This is incorrect considering that it is equally hard, as stated in the disclaimer. It'll simply show them easier because it's a glossy black finish. Matte finishes hide them easier.

This is really no different from black cars, which show more scratches despite having the exact same scratches as lighter color cars. Black cars are not more "prone to scratches" either.

Reactions: Ntombi

MacTechnics

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2014
No, you wrote in your first post that it's prone to micro-scratches, as if JB actually gets more of them compared to matte aluminum. This is incorrect considering that it is equally hard, as stated in the disclaimer. It'll simply show them easier because it's a glossy black finish. Matte finishes hide them easier.

This is really no different from black cars, which show more scratches despite having the exact same scratches as lighter color cars. Black cars are not more "prone to scratches" either.

I wish people would stop comparing the finish on the JB phone to a finish on a black car. Cars have better paint jobs than this rushed, poorly designed and manufactured idea. It's a beautiful phone but please. Let's just admit Apple got this one wrong.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I wish people would stop comparing the finish on the JB phone to a finish on a black car. Cars have better paint jobs than this rushed, poorly designed and manufactured idea. It's a beautiful phone but please. Let's just admit Apple got this one wrong.

Huh, you clearly haven't been to a new car dealership and checked out the black cars. They arrive straight from factory full of swirl marks.

Reactions: vito and Ntombi

MacTechnics

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2014
Huh, you clearly haven't been to a new car dealership and checked out the black cars. They arrive straight from factory full of swirl marks.

Of course they do but the paint job/finish is still better than this crap on the Jet Black iPhone. That phone belongs in a museum, framed. I can't wait til they get it right tho next year, then I'll get it :)

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Of course they do but the paint job/finish is still better than this crap on the Jet Black iPhone. That phone belongs in a museum, framed. I can't wait til they get it right tho next year, then I'll get it :)

:rolleyes: You matte Black owners are trying very hard to put down JB.

The disclaimer says it's equally hard. Using logic and physics, what does that tell you about susceptibility to scratches?

You've admitted that black cars show swirl marks even when they arrive straight from factory. This is because of the glossy black surface. Nothing to do with paint job.

Jodie1987

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2016
going for rose gold, both blacks sound like they will show a lot of fingerprints/dust and scratches

MacTechnics

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2014
:rolleyes: You matte Black owners are trying very hard to put down JB.

The disclaimer says it's equally hard. Using logic and physics, what does that tell you about susceptibility to scratches?

You've admitted that black cars show swirl marks even when they arrive straight from factory. This is because of the glossy black surface. Nothing to do with paint job.

LOL I love the jet black, props to whoever has it. I just think they didn't get it right. Like I said, next year they will fix it. You can buff out and remove some scratches from black cars but the phone? Nope. So why are we still comparing cars to this phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.