Does the new unibody MacBook suffer from the cracking issues?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by adamlbiscuit, Feb 25, 2010.

1. adamlbiscuit macrumors regular

I was just wondering because my current MacBook is cracking left right and centre and I haven't even done anything to it. Cracks on the palm rest, the sides, the bottom, the bezel and now even the hinge, pretty bad.

I am looking for a new laptop for various other reasons and I was going to get the 13" pro because I really don't like the white MacBooks anymore, but I'm really strapped for cash and I was wondering if I should maybe get the white unibody, only problem is I would hate to buy it and then have it crack just like this one has.

2. deraj090 macrumors regular

I don't think the unibody suffers from this issue -- especially if you carry it properly (i.e. not grabbing it by a corner when moving it).

3. fluffyx macrumors 6502

The unibodies don't crack.

But Apple will fix your cracked MacBook free of charge. Call 800-APL-CARE; or visit the Apple Store Genius Bar with a Genius Bar appointment.

4. sml238 macrumors regular

sml238

i have the new unibody and i love it. i looked into the cracking issue as well. and what i found out was the white unibody is made of a softer polycarbonate that doesn't crack because of its slightly softer and redesigned formula.

if u get one i recommend getting the moshi palm guard. because the glossy white gets sticky on your hands and scratches. but the guard is nice it matches the macbook perfectly, u cant even tell its there. and the texture is slightly rough which feels a lot better on the palms.

5. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

no they don't suffer from the cracking problem ata ll, although they are rev A and therefore do have some other issues.

If you need more info, you will probably find my review pretty helpful.

6. firemedicmark macrumors 6502

the uni's don't do that...that was the old white mb's.

7. kikedeolivos macrumors member

My "old" refurb (October 08) white Macbook has zero cracks, nor big, nor hairline size:nothing.

8. mrboult macrumors 6502

mrboult

Well being realistic, is it not too early to tell yet?
    My old Macbook didn't crack until it was a year or so old. Similar with others i know of.

But to be honest this was such a big and widespread problem with those old MBs that if Apple haven't got it right this time they are idiots.

9. sml238 macrumors regular

sml238

they have trust me. the polycarbonate is a new formula. its actually made a bit softer. if u tap the sharp edge of ur macbook on anything pointy you will notice as it goudges a little bit.

you can tell its considerably softer, but it seems like a durable compound that won't crack under heat/pressure.

the plastic can look a little rough if you beat it up but in no way will it crack or be dysfunctional.

10. franciscohorta macrumors newbie

The unibody macbook does crack!

I have a unibody macbook and it has cracked!
    In 3 different places! I'll post pictures later!
    I would like to know what can i do now? if will apple fix it or not.

Attached Files:

11. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Whoops... How did that happen? The second two images look like identical cracks on either side of the hinge, did you drop the laptop?

12. franciscohorta macrumors newbie

Never dropped it.. it just appeared.. It's so weird! How will apple treat this issue?? is anyone alse having the same problem??

13. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

The unibody MacBook is suppose to solve the cracking issue (I remember reading an article on Engadget, I believe they go into this issue). Your issue is the first I've heard with the new MacBook. I'd take it in to Apple and have them deal with it, I don't think there will be an issue.

14. bryanc28 macrumors 6502

bryanc28

15. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Not quite, 2 people post pics and it's an epidemic? Ummm my unibody is fine, no cracks....

16. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

It is worrying though. Since it's only been 5 months since the update, there probably won't be too many that have cracked yet. But then again, my non-unibody hasn't started cracking yet, and it's almost a year old, so if my old design is outliving the new design that was supposed to eradicated the cracking issue, perhaps this is the start of a lot of these cases... :rolleyes:

17. sml238 macrumors regular

sml238

all of those cracks shown look force induced...either from a drop or someone accidentally pushing the screen past it's opening point.

the new poly carbonate design is made differently and also a little softer, but more solid. it's said to be free from any random cracks showing up. anything plastic can crack, it's all in how you treat them.

18. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

And perhaps tomorrow will be the end of the world. We dont live in a world of "if's" or "perhaps" to me, to people who have an issues I've never seen on this board until now, doesn't mean its and issue. I'm not trying to argue so I hope you dont take it that way. It's just I know maybe 5 people with these new late 09 Macs and they mostly beat the hell out of them, have seen their unibodies fall from desks at work, and theres no crack....just my 2 cents worth is all. :)

19. TheNorthWaves macrumors 6502

I bought my white macbook in November 08, so that makes it about 1.5 years old. Yesterday, the right side palm rest had a piece crack off. Granted, I use this thing heavily so I'm really not surprised.

20. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Get that replaced. Heavy use or not, it shouldn't chip off like that. Apple will/should take care of that for you.

21. Jigsawjammer macrumors regular

I'm scared it might start to be one though. My sister showed me her unibody white- and she has identical cracks on the hinges as the pictures above. It is a few months old and never left the house.
    I was coming on here to see if others had this problem and it seems people are having identical cracks.

22. Skippy440 macrumors member

Skippy440

Bought mine last November and no problems with mine.

As long as you're not rough or drop the laptop, I don't think that there are
    any major issues with cracking.:apple:

23. lyons238 macrumors 6502

yeah and also it looks like those cracks are from either dropping the laptop, extending the screen too far, or viciously moving the screen.

24. Aadhil macrumors regular

I don't baby my poly-unibody and I routinely carry it from the corner when the screen is open. No cracks that I can see thus far.