Does the Retina Macbook Pro To Buy now? or Should wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Slys, May 11, 2014.

  1. Slys macrumors newbie

    Slys

    Joined:
    May 11, 2014
    #1
    I want to buy 2.3Ghz Retina Macbook Pro..

    but I am worried about upgrade MID 2014 RMBP

    what do you think apple's an update on events in June revenue?

    Processor or Graphics Card could be a change ? or Retina display upgrade to new type screen ? ..

    I have confusion...

    If this is no disadvantage to get the current version I will buy in a few days
     
  2. Saint.Icon macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 11, 2014
    #2
    Any update will likely just be a bump to the updated Haswell processors. To me, the wait wasn't worth it and I got my rMBP about a month ago.

    I'm happy with my decision, and I'm not worried about any potential upgrade.
     
  3. Meister Suspended

    Meister

    Joined:
    Oct 10, 2013
    #3
    No upgrade to the rmbp in june. Buy now. Enjoy :)
     
  4. Slys thread starter macrumors newbie

    Slys

    Joined:
    May 11, 2014
    #4
    Are you sure ?

    Introduction date

    2.3Ghz 4850HQ June 2, 2013 (it look old)

    2.6Ghz 4960HQ September 1, 2013

    you can see on picture..
     

    Attached Files:

    • aaaa.PNG
      aaaa.PNG
      File size:
      23.5 KB
      Views:
      445
  5. Meister Suspended

    Meister

    Joined:
    Oct 10, 2013
    #5
    Thats not exactly a huge update.
    If it makes you happy, then wait. I would buy what I need now.
     
  6. HyperliteG4 macrumors regular

    HyperliteG4

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2002
    Location:
    Southern California
    #6
    I'm also considering an update. I currently have a 15" 2.3GHz Early 2011 MBP but have been wanting to upgrade. I will be in the market to get one sometime late summer/ early fall (sept-oct) but after reading about the Broadwell delay into 2015, I'm considering waiting but not sure how the change will affect me and what I use it for. I primarily do web development, some graphic and UI design, some video editing (FCP) and LOTS of multi-tasking. Whatever I end up getting, I'll probably get it fully decked out (16gb ram, 1TB SSD, better graphics chipset, etc)
     
  7. Slys thread starter macrumors newbie

    Slys

    Joined:
    May 11, 2014
    #7
    I know..it will not huge update but it can be last generations products..

    I want to use my money in a sensible way..15" models not cheap.. ;) if I pay this price I deserve use to the latest technology..


    you are right about Broadwell delaying..
    apple can be use upper model of cpu's..

    I hope june will come with good news..
     
  8. Saint.Icon macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 11, 2014
    #8
    The moment you buy a piece of technology, it's outdated. Plain and simple. There's always something better in the pipeline. The day that the MBP is updated with slightly faster Haswell processors is just one day closer until it's updated with Broadwell processors. Over and over.

    If being on the bleeding edge is that important to you, wait. You've gotten sensible opinions, but seem to want to argue in favor of waiting. So wait.

    Meanwhile, I'm going to enjoy my rMBP, and will continue doing so as you twiddle your thumbs waiting for the latest update. ;)
     
  9. Slys thread starter macrumors newbie

    Slys

    Joined:
    May 11, 2014
    #9
    Which model do you have ? When did you buy it ?

    I wish pleasure minutes with RMacbook ;)
     
  10. Ktdhc, May 11, 2014
    Last edited: May 11, 2014

    Ktdhc macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2010
    #10
    Are there any expected/rumored changes to the video card? I couldn't seem to find any information on it.

    Other laptops at this price range come with GTX 870M now so..

    Just to see the difference: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html -- huge difference between 750M and 870M. I'd even be happy with a 860M.
     
  11. Saint.Icon macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 11, 2014
    #11
    I picked up a 13" model about a month ago - I've loved every minute with it, and use it more than my desktop setup now.

    I got a refurb model, and saved an extra $200 or so. Well worth the price, and I'm quite happy with the purchase - update on the way or not.
     
  12. Slys thread starter macrumors newbie

    Slys

    Joined:
    May 11, 2014
    #12
  13. Saint.Icon macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 11, 2014
    #13
  14. Slys thread starter macrumors newbie

    Slys

    Joined:
    May 11, 2014
    #14

    I'm into consideration the possibilities..

    I respect your decisions and ideas..

    All company manipulating people.. Before issue new products..
     
  15. mtneer macrumors 68020

    mtneer

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2012
    #15
    If you need this much convincing; then you obviously don't need one now. So, just wait out WWDC and see what happens..
     
  16. yjchua95 macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2011
    Location:
    GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
    #16
    The 2.6GHz i7-4960HQ is also used in the current rMBPs (I have one in my BTO 2.6/16/1TB/750M model).
     
  17. Quu macrumors 68020

    Quu

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2007
    #17
    I'm in the same boat and I'm waiting. I'm hoping for a change to the display panel used, perhaps a bump to 4K so we can get an effective 1920x1200 desktop space instead of 1440x900.

    I'm expecting them to bump the graphics as-well to an 860m which appears to have replaced the 750m and 650m in power draw so if Apple intends to keep the power consumption the same the faster 860m will make an appearance in the next refresh.

    They may also bump the SSD from 1TB to 1.25TB if past revisions are any indication (2012 = 750GB, 2013 = 1TB). 1TB is more than enough for me but as the sizes increase the previous top end SSD decreases in price.

    And those are the only three things I expect to be changed. If I could only pick one of those I'd go with the 4K panel. Toshiba has just launched a 4K 15.6" laptop and other manufacturers are catching up. To be clear this isn't me saying "oh I need a 4K panel in my laptop!" this is me saying having 1440x900 with the best Retina setting (native 4x pixel scaling) isn't good enough. The working area needs to be 1920x1200 in my opinion and if they put a 4K panel in there we can get a native 4x pixel perfect doubling of 1920x1200.

    Just to add, I know that the current rMBP has a scaling option to offer a 1920x1200 desktop but it's not pixel perfect and I've owned five (!) of the rMBP 15" notebooks and when you use that scaling applications are blurry. The scaling isn't perfect which is why it must be pixel doubled to look good.
     
  18. bobcan macrumors 6502a

    bobcan

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2007
    Location:
    Sunny but Cold.. Canada
    #18
    Always seems simple, but ..

    I suspect that ^ this ^ is the correct answer for you, most likely.. as well, if you DO wait, the prices on 'old models' will of course go down, ESP so with Refurbs, which always seem like good deals to me.. Good Luck!! :apple:

    Need It > Buy It
    Don't > Don't
     
  19. Slys thread starter macrumors newbie

    Slys

    Joined:
    May 11, 2014
  20. SCOLANATOR macrumors 6502a

    SCOLANATOR

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2013
    Location:
    UK
    #20
    If you can notice a difference with this rumour of the rMBP getting an updated Haswell chip then I'll be astonished.
    I don't believe the rMBP will receive an upgrade until Broadwell and even in the small chance it did the upgrade would be tiny and nothing more than a 100MHz clock bump.
     
  21. citivolus macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2008
    #21
    If it really is just a tiny 100Mhz speed bump in the CPU and nothing more, then would Apple do this without also dropping the price like they did with the Air? Otherwise why would they bother?
     
  22. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2009
    #22
    These threads usually come down to people who bought the current model wishfully saying that there won't be an update, and the people who are waiting to buy wishfully saying that there will.

    The 100MHz CPU bump update will also improve battery life by a bit, and a "mid 2014" MacBook Pro will probably fetch a bit of a higher price when it comes to reselling.

    That's why I'm waiting until WWDC to see if there's an update. If not, I'll buy a 2013. I waited like 9 months to buy an iMac when the redesign happened, and it sucked.
     
  23. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #23
    No real upgrades will come until Broadwell comes end of the year.
     
  24. marddin macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2009
    #24
    My guess is that they will release new retinas (re-designed + spec bump) later in the fall. I'm going to hold off on upgrading from my original 15" rMBP until right before the new ones are released to cash in on selling my mac for top dollar
     
  25. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2009
    #25
    The unibody design lasted for at least 4 years. The retina design has been out for less than 2. There's absolutely no basis to assume that they'll be redesigned.
     

Share This Page