Does the smart cover eventually scratch the side?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by btownguy, Apr 30, 2011.

1. btownguy macrumors 6502

All that clicking on the video makes me think it might eventually. I have an iPad 2 but didn't get the cover yet because that worries me.

2. bmat macrumors 6502

3. ShortCutMan macrumors member

I have also had mine since launch (Australia) and no permanent marks. I just did notice some black marks but they just wiped off with no issue.

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I've had mine since Mar. 17. I have the cover off and on all day. When I'm just sitting on couch, I don't like holding the iPad with the cover flopping around in back, so when I settle in, the cover comes off. When I get up, I usually put it back on for Justin (you know - Justin Case?).

Anyway - no marks. I have to admit, I do check from time-to-time.

5. MrMac'n'Cheese macrumors 6502a

MrMac'n'Cheese

In my case it did scratch.

However, it was nothing some spit and rubbing the affected area could not solve =)

No more smart covers for me.

6. TheyCallMeSaint macrumors regular

Um, I'm fairly sure that if it comes off when you rub it, it's not a scratch.

7. ConnorTurnbull macrumors 6502

I've experienced some very small marks where the two main magnetic parts of the Smart Cover attach. However, certainly not to a massive extent or anything that you'll be ashamed of when you pull your iPad out.

8. Uln4321 macrumors regular

I've noticed this too. Very minimal and can only see when very close

9. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

i'll bet over time you'll start seeing complaints about smartcover marks. i would also, most definitely, get a screen protector when using those slick smartcovers. you can guarantee dust and grit will get between those and your screen and really screw it up.

10. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

I have a carbon fiber looking skin on the back. The smart cover never touches the iPad. I never have to worry about scratches.

11. App Downloader macrumors member

Mine doesn't

I have a leather smart cover, and so far I haven't seen any sign of scratches from it.

12. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

If you're that worried about it, I would say get an Invisible Shield or or some other wrap-around skin for your iPad 2, so that cover is rubbing against the skin and not the outer casing directly.

In any case, the scratches that unprotected iPad back will end up getting over time will probably be worse than any marks the smart cover makes.

13. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

Scratching is permanent damage to the finish that cannot be wiped off with spit :cool:

14. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Had my iPad 2 and black leather smart cover since release day. Had it on and off several times just mostly to show people how it works. But other that that it's been on since day 1. I just took it off and had a look, ZERO scratches. :apple:

15. Noisemaker Guest

:rolleyes:

You guys realize that the metal of the smart cover never touches the iPad, right?

As long as your smart cover is undamaged and not bent, the thin rubber/plastic parts of the smart cover (on the rail and the two main magnets) are all that will ever touch it. And they can't scratch the aluminum.

16. sparkie1984 macrumors 68000

I too was worried about this due to having my iphone 4 ruined by a stupid crappy apple bumper!!!!

But it seems that apple have made something thats a better design here

17. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I decided to go with a back cover on mine (like the Grip Vue I have on my iPhone 4). It then goes in a zip up folio style hard case when I travel with it. There is no screen protector as the one I had on there annoyed the crap out of me.

I skipped the smart cover because I was worried about scratches--I feel I came up with a solution that will protect my iPad infinitely better than those things. The screen is always covered but there is nothing touching it or rubbing on it. The back is covered constantly so I can take it out of the case and not worry about scratches (came in handy when my wife was sliding it on the table the other day). I feel that all that is better than a single smart cover--the display unit I saw at Best Buy definitely had scratches from those little magnetic hinges, but they may have been there because someone put the stupid thing on backwards. I just don't want to risk it.

18. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

The magnetic strip which attaches the cover to the iPad is quite strong so it gets a firm grip on the edge and doesn't slip easily. Little chance of getting anything under that. Also the hinges don't really touch the device (clever design) so the chances of rubbing against the edge there are small.

I'm still a little wary though and I check for scratches often. So far there have been none :)

19. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Is the magnetic hinge entirely covered in rubber? I thought I remembered that there is just a little rubber strip on the inside that doesn't even go all the way to the edge. So if you hit the iPad off center with the hinge (most of the time, you're not going to hit it dead on), isn't there a chance it will start to get marked up?

I'm just asking because I'm curious--I thought I remembered this being the case.

20. Uln4321 macrumors regular

Here are some pictures of the scratches. I usually only take the smart cover off and put it back on twice a week. The first picture is a picture of the scratch itself and the second picture is of the scratch with the smart cover on. There is also a scratch on the smart cover too. Ive tried plenty of scrubbing and its for sure a scratch. I also have the Zagg invisible shield on which does not cover this area

Attached Files:

21. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

It's really odd--

Apple designs their own cases to preserve the good looks of the design, but then the cases cause scratches. They should have made that entire hinge some kind of rubber or maybe even felt lined. Problem solved.

Or they are just not as OCD as a lot of us. I would prefer to keep my iPad as spotless as possible.

22. Roofy. macrumors 6502a

There is not a single case on the market that wont scratch your iphone or ipad eventually. All that needs to happen is dust getting between the case and device and scratches will eventually form.

Who seriously cares about a few small scratches? Who actually thinks anything they own is going to be 100% mint condition forever?

23. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

This is true--that's why I put the back cover on my iPad 2 on day 1 and will never take it off again. I don't want to see what happens to it under the cover.

HOWEVER--I've been using a Belkin Grip Vue on my iPhone 4 for several months and never had it put one mark on my iPhone. I swear by Belkin stuff now. Unfortunately I still don't think they have a Grip Vue out for iPad 2, but I bought one that is very much like a Grip Vue.

24. incongruity macrumors member

That's exactly what happened with mine. It eventually wore down to bare metal.

Apple replaced both the iPad and smart cover. I've added moleskin to the part of the cover that touches the iPad just to be safe.

Out of curiosity, how do you carry it with you? I'm starting to wonder if it's not an effect of the case I use - a cheap neoprene sleeve that holds it fairly tightly - I figure it might allow enough flexing/rubbing in my bag to cause the wear.

25. specialk0449 macrumors member

No scratches on mine and I have had a smart cover on mine since launch day.