Does your 15inch MBP looks like this?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jmouse, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Jmouse macrumors 6502

Last thread fails.
    Story is i found out a tiny gap and 3 small dints on the left side of the hinge where the body and screen meets.

Here are some pix.

[​IMG]
    THE GOOD SIDE
    [​IMG]
    THE BAD SIDE
    [​IMG]

Thinking of taking it in for repairs, but not sure how would it came back.

Or im jsut being over sensitive about this. I have use this mbp for less than 2 hours since day 1 and plan on using it alot more now, and found out this which upset me a bit.

What would you do if this happens to you.

Thanks and appreciate for your time.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

The gap is normal. There is a slightly larger gap on the left side of the hinge than the right. I wouldn't worry about the very small dents. Chances are if you demanded a new one (don't think they would give it to you), it would end up with more dents within a week, so that's a bust.

No need to worry, just enjoy your machine. :)

3. Jmouse thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your input.

in addition, Ive actually rang up Apple and theyve approved this and offered me a repair at Genius Bar in Apple store.

Now do i repair it and take the risk of being worse after. or just live with this please help i cant really decide.
    Its moment when i see another MBP which doesn't has this problem that upsets me. :(

4. Jmouse thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry just wanted to add , does anyone on here with their new mbp comes with any cosmetic defects? anything at all?

Thanks

5. ale500 macrumors regular

At least it doesn't look like the P-p-p-powerbook :p

6. skasol macrumors 6502

why can't you just exchange it for a new one? you said it's 2 hours old and it has a defect or something that you aren't happy with, why not just exchange, not repair, exchange for a new one?

7. /user/me macrumors 6502

After I touched the screen, there was a fingerprint. That's the only problem i've had with mine so far.

8. children macrumors regular

Hey, that happened to me too once.
    It's the strangest thing..

9. Exana macrumors regular

Yes, my MacBook Pro 2011 looks the same. My old 2009 MacBook Pro also looks like that. So, I think you don't have to worry about it. I check some pictures from online review, this seems to be on all models.

10. Jmouse thread starter macrumors 6502

Its because its been 2 months since purchased.

I barely use it, cuz im always babying it.

Exana : are you refering to the gap or dints?

11. DarkestWall macrumors newbie

12. Horney macrumors newbie

Same gap on my 2010 13". Never noticed it before either. Not that it bothers, what bothers me is the dent in the top case I put in it the other day after my xbox controller fell off the arm of the sofa. Doh!

Nick

13. Jmouse thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay im happy with the gap now, what about those 3 faint dints oon it? i doubt most of you will have it.

question is will apple repair the hinge for me? and whats the risk of having a brand new machine open and such. Thanks

14. mike2732 macrumors member

To be clear... is that a '11 MBP, or what?

15. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I'm trying really hard to see some dents on your laptop, but I don't see anything.

16. Jmouse thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry forgot to mention , its a Late 2010 MBP unibody.

The Dints are really pissing me off. and im mad on myself didnt notice this until now. which gives me the feeling of apple would not do anything for me.:mad:

Its on the left side of the hinge cover. if you click on the picture and see it in large you can see it.

17. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Yea, I'm with underwear dude up there. Looks pretty flawless to me. :confused:

18. Jmouse thread starter macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

this pic should be more clear.

19. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

That's ludicrous.

Go enjoy your flawless laptop.

20. deeesea macrumors 6502

Is OP serious? WTF?

21. terzinator macrumors 6502

You'll bring it to the Genius, and the Genius will have to stick his head reaaaallly down close to the hinge, because the "dints" are pretty much invisible, and then you're going to snap the Macbook closed on the Genius's head like those crazy people who stick their heads in lions and crocodiles.

22. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

If they really bother you, use a fine-tip Sharpie and color over them. How in the world you managed to notice that is just... wow.

23. Miss Terri macrumors 6502

If it were new, I would say take it back and exchange it because it's obviously bothering you.

Since it's month's old, there's no way for Apple (or maybe even you) to know for sure whether it came that way or happened later. Nonetheless, it sounds as though Apple have offered to take care of it for you. That's pretty good customer service.

If it were me though, I probably wouldn't take it in. That's just because I'm super-anal, and those dents/marks are small enough that I would actually worry about it somehow coming back worse. Not because Apple is sloppy, but because no-one but the super-caring owner probably wears kid gloves around the computer.

But, it's your choice.

MT

24. Jmouse thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you everyone for your input.

To be really honest. Yes im being overly sensitive. Yes its very minor faith "dint". However i went out to an apple store today, and Yes i can see gaps on all MBPs, some being on the left some on the right some are even.
    It just upset me when something new happens to be like that. .

Here s my point, none of those has damage/ small "dint" on the hinge cover. I even asked the repairer how much is to have that part replace and fix. He went we dont sell that particular part, they comes together with the display and its 1k+.

Then i told him i can source the part and if thats the case, how much would the labour cost. Under 100 bucks he says. He'll even let me sit beside him whilst hes doing it. (cause i was bitching about how bad the last job i had on my pb)

For ppl who doesnt care much about cosmetic. Its like, asif one of your hardware not working properly i.e. usb port or even down to speaker mic etc..
    I bought this machine for its design and look. So that puts me off alot since i know where to look everytime.

Anyway, ive got an appointment with Apple tomorrow, one of the Genuis Bar thingy.

I would try to get it replace but dont think i can pretty much. I will also see if they are willing to replace that part free of charge.

Anyone of you have any experience with Apple Genuis Bar? Ive read some of them are pretty rude.

25. brentsg macrumors 68030

You bought this presumably to use. You said you've had it for a while (2 months?) but only have used it 2 hours due to worry over this type of thing.

Honestly I would just sell it if you cannot use it.

Also, I am not going to get all internet doctor on you.. but worrying over something this amazingly trivial is incredibly unhealthy.

Regarding the Genius appointment, and what their reaction might be.. I recall my dad managing a car dealership. He had a customer that would come in periodically with some type of calipers. They would walk all around each car measuring the gaps around the closed car doors, measuring the left side to compare with the right side, etc. Basically they'd come in when new stock arrived, going over each vehicle in hopes of scoring the perfect specimen. Needless to say, NOBODY wanted to actually sell this person anything.