Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Miss Terri

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2010
US East Coast
I can't tell for sure if you are saying you would just be replacing a part of the hinge cover or the whole screen/lid. It seemed like you mentioned both.

If it's the whole screen, keep in mind that all screens are not created equal, and if you have one you like, good pixels, etc..... it might be best to keep it. I don't mean to make it sound like Apple parts are a cr@p shoot or anything, but .... they are mass produced and they are not all perfect.

Still, it's ultimately your choice.

MT

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
How long have you had it? ... the Genius may just tell you that it is wear and tear caused by yourself :cool:

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
Thank you everyone for your input.

To be really honest. Yes im being overly sensitive. Yes its very minor faith "dint". However i went out to an apple store today, and Yes i can see gaps on all MBPs, some being on the left some on the right some are even.
It just upset me when something new happens to be like that. .

Here s my point, none of those has damage/ small "dint" on the hinge cover. I even asked the repairer how much is to have that part replace and fix. He went we dont sell that particular part, they comes together with the display and its 1k+.

Then i told him i can source the part and if thats the case, how much would the labour cost. Under 100 bucks he says. He'll even let me sit beside him whilst hes doing it. (cause i was bitching about how bad the last job i had on my pb)

For ppl who doesnt care much about cosmetic. Its like, asif one of your hardware not working properly i.e. usb port or even down to speaker mic etc..
I bought this machine for its design and look. So that puts me off alot since i know where to look everytime.

Anyway, ive got an appointment with Apple tomorrow, one of the Genuis Bar thingy.

I would try to get it replace but dont think i can pretty much. I will also see if they are willing to replace that part free of charge.

Anyone of you have any experience with Apple Genuis Bar? Ive read some of them are pretty rude.

Well since you seem to like to waste money, why not just spend the money to get it fixed? I mean you even said you bought this computer just for cosmetic reasons and not functionality.

The geniuses will treat you how you treat them. I have had nothing but excellent service, but again I am very patient and polite when I am at "The Bar". I don't know where you are located, but most technicians won't let you sit in on the repairs, as they are done in the back in a part of the store dedicated to repairs not accessible to customers.

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
OP - have you heard of the term "normal wear and tear?" I presume you don't use this laptop only in a clean, sealed off environment - which means right now there are dust particles inside your MBP (should you choose to open it.)

But guess what, that doesn't warrant you to demand a replacement simply cause there is dust in the machine.

If you actually use your machine and do productive things with it, you won't notice problems like this.

Jmouse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
OP - have you heard of the term "normal wear and tear?" I presume you don't use this laptop only in a clean, sealed off environment - which means right now there are dust particles inside your MBP (should you choose to open it.)

But guess what, that doesn't warrant you to demand a replacement simply cause there is dust in the machine.

If you actually use your machine and do productive things with it, you won't notice problems like this.

Thanks Members of Macrumors.

Yes its very minor , and its not wear and tear.
like i said ive not been using this machine at all. only from time to tie to switch it on and updated the software. but yea its my fault not noticing this earlier and im the only one to blame.

i will update on how i go with the Bar. but yea if they have to repair that part, im not sure if i wanna do it. It might return with Problem A Fix but with a new problem B.

ive had looked at over 20 MBP ( in 3 diff stores ) none of those has the 3 "dints"

gap is perfectly normal.

The mbp is VERY IMMACULATE practically brand new. But i suppose that not the case.

Tech did said if i was to repair from Apple , its a whole top lcd replacement.
Unless i purchase the part off else where , and brg it to them for repair with a cost.

I will most likely get over this but i would like to try at least see if i can get it fixed or replace ( doubt it ).

I believe those 3 Dints are actually damaged. i tried very gently clean it with a microfiber cloth. Doesn't help. so its really dints.

Everyone who believe im being nonsense , i agree i am and yes its unhealthy.

But i saved up for a while to purchase this laptop and its going take alot for me to accept it rather staying true to myself. Specially with a Genuine problem like this.
p.s. the dints are permanent and i don't think i will ever have that area damaged.

TheFarmer

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2011
I believe those 3 Dints are actually damaged. i tried very gently clean it with a microfiber cloth. Doesn't help. so its really dints.

But i saved up for a while to purchase this laptop and its going take alot for me to accept it rather staying true to myself. Specially with a Genuine problem like this.
p.s. the dints are permanent and i don't think i will ever have that area damaged.

Dents ;)

deeesea

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2010
Thanks Members of Macrumors.

Yes its very minor , and its not wear and tear.
like i said ive not been using this machine at all. only from time to tie to switch it on and updated the software. but yea its my fault not noticing this earlier and im the only one to blame.

i will update on how i go with the Bar. but yea if they have to repair that part, im not sure if i wanna do it. It might return with Problem A Fix but with a new problem B.

ive had looked at over 20 MBP ( in 3 diff stores ) none of those has the 3 "dints"

gap is perfectly normal.

The mbp is VERY IMMACULATE practically brand new. But i suppose that not the case.

Tech did said if i was to repair from Apple , its a whole top lcd replacement.
Unless i purchase the part off else where , and brg it to them for repair with a cost.

I will most likely get over this but i would like to try at least see if i can get it fixed or replace ( doubt it ).

Yo, you know if you get it repaired, it shows up when they input the serial number right?
It's like a car that's had an accident, though it looks new with the new parts and all, it shows up in it's VIN when you look it up a la carfax and etc.

That's saying now that your IMMACULATE MBP isn't IMMACULATE anymore =O. Cos it's profile on the apple computers shows that it's had a repair, and if you ever sell it, people wil know it's been repaired =O. oh noes!

Jmouse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Yo, you know if you get it repaired, it shows up when they input the serial number right?
It's like a car that's had an accident, though it looks new with the new parts and all, it shows up in it's VIN when you look it up a la carfax and etc.

That's saying now that your IMMACULATE MBP isn't IMMACULATE anymore =O. Cos it's profile on the apple computers shows that it's had a repair, and if you ever sell it, people wil know it's been repaired =O. oh noes!

I dont plan on selling it, so that wont worry me.

Does anyone of you has those dents on their hinge? :confused: I dont think so.

For all those who have said im being Anal. Does your mbp has any signs of defects cosmetic wise.

Thanks

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA

For all those who have said im being Anal. Does your mbp has any signs of defects cosmetic wise.

Thanks

I skipped over the responses since the first, however the black peice is called the clutch cover.
After a battery replacement on my old 13" Pro, mine was loose, and slid back and forth, and I had them fix it.
After numerous reseats, it still was the same and lived with it. I think this part is the "weakest link" in the display assembly, as on almost every model i've seen, I've been able to slide it back and fourth.
Maybe they should make it out of aluminum? Like the older MacBook Pros, and PowerBooks...

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2008

Thanks

I have had a few MBP paltops, and all of them have had cosmetic "defects". It sucks, but unfortunately, manufacturing, and quality control, are not perfect.

As a fellow person who looks for perfection, and since it's not a factory fresh item, I suggest that you try to live with it. In the long run, I think you may be happier.

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2008
I skipped over the responses since the first, however the black peice is called the clutch cover.
After a battery replacement on my old 13" Pro, mine was loose, and slid back and forth, and I had them fix it.
After numerous reseats, it still was the same and lived with it. I think this part is the "weakest link" in the display assembly, as on almost every model i've seen, I've been able to slide it back and fourth.
Maybe they should make it out of aluminum? Like the older MacBook Pros, and PowerBooks...

Agreed. The hinges on the current MBP is not a hearty design. It is easily broken, and doesn't always hold the screen in the proper position. Additionally, if the hinge breaks, the entire LCD has to be replaced...

Jmouse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Haha funny stuff! lol.

Appointment for The bar is today , looks like im gonna stress more .

mikeytwice

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2005
OP, you're being absolutely irrational. If they can fix your "damage", great, but just go ahead and use your laptop! You saved up for it for months, and now you just turn it on once in a while for software updates? Are you even using it to make these posts, or what?

Jmouse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
OP, you're being absolutely irrational. If they can fix your "damage", great, but just go ahead and use your laptop! You saved up for it for months, and now you just turn it on once in a while for software updates? Are you even using it to make these posts, or what?

no i m using my desktop lol.
i havent even touch the keyboard once, still has that while foam paper thingy from day1.

yes im being stupid i know. if today results are bad ill start using it. if they can repair it bonus i guess. but my point is why do i have to pay something thats different from the guy behind me, with the same price?

deeesea

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2010
no i m using my desktop lol.
i havent even touch the keyboard once, still has that while foam paper thingy from day1.

yes im being stupid i know. if today results are bad ill start using it. if they can repair it bonus i guess. but my point is why do i have to pay something thats different from the guy behind me, with the same price?

and if the results are good you're not gonna use it? buddy, seriously, by the time you actually want to use it, it'll be out of date, then you'll have another anxiety attack and panic about how you didn't get to use your laptop lol

and yes my laptop came with defects, i had a weird dark spot on my laptop (got that replaced cos it actually affected use), and the replacement had a small mark on the top of the lid, and screws that keep falling out...lol but i love this machine. more beat up it is, the more "mine" it is :)

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
I dont think the issue warrants any form of outright replacement, they may repair it under warranty out of good faith as its not confirmed from day 1 as being a manufacture defect.

The reason the hinge is black plastic is for better reception for the AirPort card and Bluetooth module.
Before they were having issues under the aluminum casing of the previous unibody models.
generally all they have to do to get the hinge cover solid, is tighten the screws holding the display in place

Jmouse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
I dont think the issue warrants any form of outright replacement, they may repair it under warranty out of good faith as its not confirmed from day 1 as being a manufacture defect.

The reason the hinge is black plastic is for better reception for the AirPort card and Bluetooth module.
Before they were having issues under the aluminum casing of the previous unibody models.
generally all they have to do to get the hinge cover solid, is tighten the screws holding the display in place

UPDATES!

Just came back from Apple store, Verdict is. Initially the Genuis told me exactly what i expected. Cosmetic part blahblahblah, they are mass produced parts, and sometimes they are like that.

So i keep myself claim, and replied. Oh yea? But the person that ive spoken with over the phone said Apple will repair that particular part for me Free of charge.

He then look at his mbp to check some notes. ( shouldn't he be doing that prior my existence ? ) Anyhow, he checked and said ok yes we will replace that part for you, went in and check for parts. As expected , part is not in stock. Have to order it in and have me take my mbp back and wait for their calls.

Now , He did mention a few times saying that even tho they are replacing that with a brand new genuine part. Because its been mass produced, we cannot guarantee that after repair itll look 100% perfect. So im like are you saying this for " just in case" and im not likely to have a repaired mbp that id be upset about again. He's like , yea we just don't guarantee that itll look BRAND NEW with no damage.

i.e. it might get scratched or dents while tech is putting my laptop back together.

That brought to my question.

-Should i fix it now?
-Should i take the risk of opening the laptop by Apple tech and risking a perfect working laptop that hasn't been open at all.
-Should i get over it and be grateful of my mbp as its not actually noticeable and lucky its not anything else.
-Blame myself on not noticing the small dents within 14 days.
-USE IT and buy a new one next year.
-Sell it ( reluctant to do so )
-Buy a 2011 new one and give this to my gf lol.

Thats about it guys sorry for much non sense.
Generally speaking , how the Genius go in regards of service.
Here is what i think, if they "think" you know what your talking about, and being relatively polite. They will try to help you.
If you do not know much about what your whinging about, and being arrogant, they can care less. They did mention at the end , wanted customers to have positive feedback.

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2008
UPDATES!

Just came back from Apple store, Verdict is. Initially the Genuis told me exactly what i expected. Cosmetic part blahblahblah, they are mass produced parts, and sometimes they are like that.

So i keep myself claim, and replied. Oh yea? But the person that ive spoken with over the phone said Apple will repair that particular part for me Free of charge.

He then look at his mbp to check some notes. ( shouldn't he be doing that prior my existence ? ) Anyhow, he checked and said ok yes we will replace that part for you, went in and check for parts. As expected , part is not in stock. Have to order it in and have me take my mbp back and wait for their calls.

Now , He did mention a few times saying that even tho they are replacing that with a brand new genuine part. Because its been mass produced, we cannot guarantee that after repair itll look 100% perfect. So im like are you saying this for " just in case" and im not likely to have a repaired mbp that id be upset about again. He's like , yea we just don't guarantee that itll look BRAND NEW with no damage.

i.e. it might get scratched or dents while tech is putting my laptop back together.

That brought to my question.

-Should i fix it now?
-Should i take the risk of opening the laptop by Apple tech and risking a perfect working laptop that hasn't been open at all.
-Should i get over it and be grateful of my mbp as its not actually noticeable and lucky its not anything else.
-Blame myself on not noticing the small dents within 14 days.
-USE IT and buy a new one next year.
-Sell it ( reluctant to do so )
-Buy a 2011 new one and give this to my gf lol.

Thats about it guys sorry for much non sense.
Generally speaking , how the Genius go in regards of service.
Here is what i think, if they "think" you know what your talking about, and being relatively polite. They will try to help you.
If you do not know much about what your whinging about, and being arrogant, they can care less. They did mention at the end , wanted customers to have positive feedback.

I'm going to assume that your post is 100% genuine, and you are really asking for people's advice. With that said...

The healthiest thing for you to do is to "...get over it and be grateful of my mbp as its not actually noticeable and lucky its not anything else."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.