Does your 4G AT&T indicate when in LTE coverage?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by aka777, Mar 16, 2012.

1. aka777, Mar 16, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2012

aka777 macrumors 6502a

Can anyone confirm that the AT&T model illustrates that they are in LTE mode?

2. itsjared macrumors regular

itsjared

I'm on mine right now and I live in Dallas (LTE central for AT&T). Nothing to indicate I'm on LTE.

Of course I have AT&T.

3. aka777 thread starter macrumors 6502a

You're kidding me. Tell me these idiots didn't have Apple merge HSPA+ with LTE under the same 4G indicator.

VZ model it is then.

4. clborden macrumors regular

clborden

Well, my Verizon model shows LTE now, and when I switch it back off, it goes to 3G. Hope it helps.

5. aka777 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yep thanks. So the VZ definitely indicates when on LTE, while the AT&T does not seem to.

6. aka777 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Anyone with a AT&T 4G device out there in an LTE covered city?

7. AFPoster macrumors 65816

can you do a speed test and share the pic?

8. pogiboi macrumors regular

I have both here in Houston. Verizon is showing LTE, speeds are decent 8/2. AT&T is only showing a 4G icon, pulling speeds of 3/1. Sounds like my ATT is still on HSPA+ and not LTE.

9. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

I'm in Boston, we've got LTE. My iPad said 4G initially, but after a second or two, it says LTE in the status bar. The AT&T iPad does indeed differentiate between HSPA+ and LTE.

10. aypues macrumors regular

Attached Files:

• lte.JPG
      lte.JPG
      File size:
      21 KB
      Views:
  11. aka777 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah okay, very good.

I was just wondering, considering AT&T has a knack for pulling tricks like this off.

12. pogiboi macrumors regular

Retested. AT&T definitely showing LTE. Here in a low signal area....
    Houston, TX
    Verizon 8/3
    AT&T 9/9

13. christof macrumors 6502

After I migrated unlimited AT&T 3G pre-paid iPad monthly data to the new iPad (3rd generation March 2012), only 4G showed. I called AT&T iPad support to confirm that the plan was now LTE and the appropriate IMEI/ICCID were registered; the idiots there said that the 4G indicator means LTE (which is wrong). I decided to restart iPad, and after, LTE appeared. Maybe I'm in a poor coverage area (of San Francisco), but now LTE shows all of the time.

14. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Tricks like what? :confused:

15. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

If it doesn't show LTE you're not getting LTE in your current location.

16. KPOM macrumors G5

Calling HSPA+ "4G."

In the end, I think it's counterproductive. People in Midtown Manhattan sees the 4G indicator, experience the slow download speeds (1Mbps, if that), and wonder what's so great about "4G."

They are starting to advertise "4G LTE" here and how great it is, but to me that makes it even more confusing.

17. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

So, the standards organization says it's ok to call HSPA+ "4G" and that somehow is a trick by AT&T?

http://www.itu.int/net/pressoffice/press_releases/2010/48.aspx

"As the most advanced technologies currently defined for global wireless mobile broadband communications, IMT-Advanced is considered as '4G,' although it is recognized that this term, while undefined, may also be applied to the forerunners of these technologies, LTE and WiMAX, and to other evolved 3G technologies providing a substantial level of improvement in performance and capabilities with respect to the initial third generation systems now deployed," the standards body said. (December 2011)

18. pdawg macrumors regular

Me! Charlotte, NC is a market, and it says LTE right now.

19. KPOM macrumors G5

They changed the rules only after petitioning by T-Mobile, which lacked LTE. Anyway, in Europe HSPA+ is called 3G, because that's the underlying technology. Witness the whole debate about the "4G" status in Europe last week. While I think Apple was in the clear, they did modify their websites.

There's a substantial difference between LTE and HSPA+. The surface-to-air interface is entirely different (as different as GSM/EDGE was to UMTS/HSPA). That, to me, is a much better place to divide "3G" from "4G." The practice in the EU makes more sense. Yes, theoretically some HSPA+ protocols are capable of similar download speeds, but that was also the case with EDGE vs. early implementations of UMTS.

Anyway, it's interesting that when the iPhone 4S first came out, it called the HSPA+ network 3G, but then with the latest update decided to magically rebrand it 4G. That was at AT&T's bidding, and I don't like it.

20. m13 macrumors newbie

You need to use the new sim, not just put the old sim in the new iPad. Go to settings, cellular usage, log in, follow the steps to migrate the account to 4G.

iPad 2 old sim only shows "4G" rather than "LTE".

21. Digidesign macrumors 6502

My ATT iPad is showing 4G only when I turn off wifi. I'm in the South Bay Area by Cupertino, and ATT's "map" (rolleyes) shows that this area is deeply blanketed in LTE.

Is it because I haven't bought a data plan? Or, whether you have bought a data plan or not it should show LTE?

If I can't get LTE in Silicon Valley, it's yet another reason to go Verizon....

22. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

If you haven't signed up for data via AT&T, most times it will show 4G because LTE is reserved for paying customers.

23. kingalien macrumors regular

kingalien

24. Digidesign, Mar 17, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2012

Digidesign macrumors 6502

Thanks for the clarification. That makes a difference whther to keep this ATT iPad or not.

Can those of you who see LTE on your ATT iPads confirm that you paid for a data plan vs. seeing LTE without a plan?

[edit] Just saw this other thread that confirms LTE appearing after purchase of a plan:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1343136

25. mikejfrd macrumors regular

Mine is showing LTE too in the Charlotte/lake Norman area. It has dropped to 4G in a few areas too so there is a difference.