Does your bank charge fees for remote check deposits?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tzhu07, Apr 16, 2013.

1. tzhu07 macrumors regular

tzhu07

I found out my bank, US Bank, charges a 50 cent fee if you want to scan your check and submit it online.

Does your bank charge you anything?

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Nope! Very convenient too, I love it. Although for 50 cents, I'd probably just go in person.

3. Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

4. eric/ Guest

eric/

5. tzhu07 thread starter macrumors regular

tzhu07

Unfortunately I don't have a bank location that is part of any of my regular travel routes.

I sent an email to US Bank telling them that they should stay competitive with other banks and remove the fee. They responded by saying that they'll forward my concern to the QA department.

It's too bad that the fee is only 50 cents, which is something that many people will tolerate and will not speak up about it. It's not like that Bank of America $5 monthly fee for using debit cards. The community got together and shot it down.

6. 2ndchancephones macrumors regular

7. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Me, too. My little bank would never do it, but for $.50 I would save the trip to the bank...no question.

My time is worth more than the $.50, not to mention the gas used to get there.

8. tzhu07 thread starter macrumors regular

tzhu07

Yeah, but I don't want to send the wrong message to US Bank. Plus checks are usually good for many months, so I guess if I stumble upon a US Bank, I'll just go in and deposit it.

9. tzhu07 thread starter macrumors regular

tzhu07

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I don't get charged for depositing checks via my smartphone, however, I believe there is a limit to how much I can deposit remotely per month. So I'd end up having to go to the bank for bigger things.

No fee though.

11. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I left US Bank due to fees, primarily the $.50 for the mobile deposit. Much happier now as a credit union member.

12. maxosx macrumors 68020

Using Bank Of The West... free everything as long as you keep X amount of money in your accounts.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I have never tried it so I don't know if my bank charges for it.

What do you do with the check after you scan/photo it?

14. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I bank with PNC and they don't charge a fee for using mobile deposits. Charging for the mobile deposits seems counterproductive...the whole point is supposed to be convenience yet they charge you for it. That's not right if you ask me. Though I suppose it is a bit cheaper than using gas driving to the bank.

My bank recommends holding on to the check for 2 weeks after deposit (to make sure the funds are there/stay there) and then destroy the check.

15. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I have an "electronic" account with my bank which charges $3 for any non-electronic transaction (withdrawing cash is an exception). Having said that, I've only used three cheques in my entire life...

16. samiwas macrumors 65816

I bank with SunTrust and can do deposits from my phone using their app. Just take a picture of the front and back and hit submit. To date, I haven't seen extra fee tacked on to do so. I don't think I'd be too keen on it, especially since they only do one check at a time in the app.

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Nope, mine doesn't. Credit unions are awesome.

18. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

wells fargo does not but I found you don't get the first 100 in your account if you do it that way. so I just put them through the atm it is about as easy and seems faster.

19. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

I prefer a bank with a local branch near me so I can storm in there to rant and complain about their "service" when necessary

20. malman89 macrumors 68000

Chase doesn't because they're awesome.

Been with Chase since Bank One days and have no need to ever leave.

21. gsugolfer macrumors 6502a

gsugolfer

I'm a WF customer - and they don't. Never been charged a fee by them for anything, except once. I made over six transfers from/to a savings account, violating the transaction limits of Regulation D. They charged a fee (can't remember the amount), as any bank would. Called them and they refunded half of it.

If it ever comes up that my accounts are no longer free, I'll leave Wells Fargo. As long as I'm not paying anything, I'm happy.

To clarify - I think that banks MOST DEFINITELY should be able to charge fees to customers however they want, but I'm not paying them :cool:

22. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I have Chase Bank, they don't charge me a fee.

23. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Why can't u switch to another bank and make sure you tell them when you close your account why u did. I cash checks using my phone into my BoA account. No fee.

24. snberk103 macrumors 603

Who do you get cheques from? I'm in Canada - and far as I know we don't have this remote scan of cheques thing... or at least not wide spread. But I don't use cheques either much. I've still got cheques with my last address printed - and we moved 3.5 years ago... and they were old even back then.

Interesting idea....

25. malman89 macrumors 68000

The only checks I've received in recent years were from old relatives (grandparents), selling a couple gift cards to Cardpool.com, and then a mail in rebate from Ford.

Even with ATM deposit, it's still much more convenient to just snap a pic of the front and back and deposit with my smartphone.