Does your iPad have any dead pixels?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Caris, Apr 4, 2010.

?

Did your iPad arrive with any dead pixel's?

1. Yay

40 vote(s)
    15.3%
  2. Nay

221 vote(s)
    84.7%
  1. Caris macrumors 6502a

Caris

I'm from the UK and obviously the iPad is not out here quite yet. But something that is concerning me a slightly is a thread I read yesterday about someone who had to go through 4 iPads before they got one without any dead pixels.

I just want to know if this was a one off or if it's going to be a common problem.

So did your iPad come with any dead pixels?

2. SirReel macrumors newbie

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ A pixel stuck on a color is not technically a 'dead' pixel.....

4. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

I thunk I have dust under the glass but I said yes. It's going back tomorrow. For some reason I only get dead pixels on my apple products.

I had 3 cheap net books and never a dead pixel/dust. Now my iPhone, Mac, and iPad are another story :(

5. ijen0311 macrumors 65816

ijen0311

Mine is physically more perfect that any of the 9 iPhones I've ever had. No light leaks, crooked bezel, dead pixels... :apple:

6. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

7. lonman06 macrumors regular

My iPad had 2 dead pixels right in the center and about 10 pieces of dust under the screen. I couldn't believe it! My second one doesn't have any dead pixels but does have a few pieces of dust under the screen towards the edges. I think I will just kept this one as the dust issue doesn't really seem noticeable when the screen is on. Is any else having this dust issue as well?

8. bludodge macrumors 6502

My iPhone does that from time to time. It seems like a bad pixel to me....

9. bludodge macrumors 6502

Well what would it be called? It's not right and very distracting.

10. Caris thread starter macrumors 6502a

Caris

Stuck/Dead pixels, they are a fault all the same.

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

A dead pixel is that. Dead. No response. A stuck pixel is alive albeit stuck. To put it another way a person in a coma is not the same thing as a 'dead' person ;)

For many many manufacturers a stuck pixel is not classed as a dead pixel and can often fall under different pixel guideline / warranty circumstances than dead pixels.

For example my $2000 Cintiq display is eligible for replacement with 1 dead pixel. However it has to have more than 14 stuck pixels for it to be classed as faulty. Really annoying.

Whilst both are irritating and cause as much upset to owners suffering from them - they do 'technically' fall under different guidelines.

However some manufacturers are more lenient than Wacom and will replace displays with stuck pixels, but it still doesn't change the overall fact that the two are not 'the same' ;)

12. bludodge macrumors 6502

What is Apples stance?

13. Caris thread starter macrumors 6502a

Caris

Officially you need 5 but most of the time if it's dead/stuck straight out the box they will sort it for you.

14. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

Nope, my screen is perfect and looks brilliant.

15. nippyjun macrumors 65816

I have 2 specs in one corner. It doesn't really bother me.

16. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

17. stereoscott macrumors newbie

stereoscott

Stuck pixel

I have a stuck pixel (always green) in right near the center of the display, just slight up and to the left by a centimeter or two. Not sure if I will take it in or not. Will see if I can just forget about it.

18. 0101001 macrumors 6502

19. Jani-Appleseed macrumors member

That's definitely a 'bright pixel' burned pixel or whatever you want to call it ; I had exactly the same thing on my iPod touch and the genius(es) said it was the 'bright/burned etc. pixel' and they replaced the iPod without a problem, I suppose you could go back and switch it around ?

20. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

I'm 3 for 3 with pixel problems with each newer unit worse than the one it replaced. I figured it was a sign to wait for the 3g version so I am waiting.

21. qoqo macrumors newbie

qoqo

Three dead pixels

Two right in the middle of the screen and one near the edge. :( The latter seems to have died today. I'm keeping it until the lines die down at the local Apple store and returning it next week.

This certainly raises doubts as to how robust these new IPS displays are.

22. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

23. snowak macrumors newbie

Pixel Problems

Dead pixel. Stuck pixel. Drunk pixel. Whatever. It's a pixel not doing what I paid $600 for it to do. That's the point.

I barely had my iPad for a month. (Not to mention, I've hardly used it.) Noticed a dead pixel. Took it back to the Apple Store in Indy. Associate comes back with a new one and says, "You know what's funny? The first one I pulled off the shelf in back for you had two dead pixels. But I checked this one, and it's good." I didn't think it was very funny. He turned on the new one and I looked at it carefully. No dead pixels. "Fine," I thought. "Must have been a lemon."

Three days later and my new iPad has a dead/stuck/drunk pixel. I'm pissed. Guess I'll just keep going back for fresh new iPads every couple of weeks. I'm beginning to think this is a major problem. I didn't buy an iPad for it's touted "beautiful screen" only to have it riddled with pixel fatalities. Any product that brags about a stunning display should have no dead/stuck/drunk pixels to speak of.

24. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

My first iPad had a dead pixel. This one is perfect :)

25. PathVu macrumors member

PathVu