Doesn't anyone worry about texting one handed with 6+??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dmillar74, Sep 12, 2014.

1. dmillar74 macrumors regular

After downloading and printing out the drawings, I immediately knew the 4.7 would be better. In addition, the last few days I've been paying closer attention to my one-handed texting and phone operating habits. It was astonishing to learn how much functionality I would be giving up going all the way up to 5.5. 4.7 is a comfortable jump while still having one handed functionality. Everyone keeps thinking about how it will fit into pockets. What about one handed operation?? Does it matter to anyone?

2. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

Only time I see myself needing to text on handed is while driving (which I never do for obvious reasons). Not too worried.

3. Kealohilani macrumors 6502

Even with the 5 and the 5s I always texted using 2 hands. It's just faster for me that way. So no I'm not worried about that.

4. dmillar74 thread starter macrumors regular

I was all on board for the 6+ until I just paid attention to my one handed operating habits. I guess I never really thought about it until I was paying closer attention to how I used my phone. Maybe it is me, but I would be severely changing my phone habits with the 5.5

5. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

That's what Siri is for. "Siri, send a message to Steve."

6. InternetDude08, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2014

InternetDude08 macrumors regular

I did the cardboard cutout thing and that's how I realized just how big the 6+ is. I actually do use my phone one-handed so I got the 6. Tapatalk = one handed most of the time. Texting = one-handed most of the time, etc.

I also discovered the 6+ doesn't fit in my car's cupholder so that doesn't help either.

7. tigerfan41 macrumors regular

Much faster to text two handed. I've done that on every iPhone I've owned, and every other phone, too.

8. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

An average adult thumb is 2 inches from V to the tip of the finger. If you look at the keyboard layout, you'll find that it's about 2 inches from the right side of the phone to the 1, Q, A, and Z keys. All of the others are redundant on the right side, so if it's typing that's the concern, there's no concern for the average adult. There's a shift key on the right if you need it.

9. Infinitewisdom macrumors 6502a

See, my thing is my usage habits can be tailored to the device. Yeah, I do use one hand a lot now. But if I have a bigger phone, all it will take is for me to adjust my usage to using two hands instead. Then I also can take advantage of the bigger screen and all the other goodies. It seems backwards to not go for what's probably the "better" product because of a preference that can be changed.

10. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

It's funny how everyone here was making fun of the 5.5 android phones and now everyone is getting a 6+.

11. King Shady macrumors 6502

King Shady

I'm pretty sure Swype is coming to iPhone...just use that for 1-handed texting. Problem solved.

12. HXGuyAZ macrumors 6502

I think the question is will you be able to reach all the keys on the keyboard to use Swype?

13. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I'm not worried. I have two hands and am willing to use em!

14. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I did the cardboard cutout thing too. I discovered that I can still drive with both hands on the steering wheel while the cat texts with both paws from the passenger seat.

15. BJabs macrumors newbie

Evidently everyone in this thread never has only one hand available to use their phone. Aight

16. Alarian macrumors newbie

I very rarely do 1 handed texting. I mainly use voice to text or both hands.

17. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

Of course not, we're all iPhone 6+ purchasers and need to justify it dammit. ;)

18. -Knight- macrumors 6502a

-Knight-

For myself, I think i need to get the 5.5 and just try it out. I've been so sick of the small screen on the iphone for a long time now so I want to get the 5.5 and get it out of my system lol. If it's too big then i can go back to the 4.7 without ever wondering if I should of gotten the bigger screen.

19. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

If I had any worries about it, I wouldn't have ordered it

20. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Neither statement is accurate. Lots of people here OWN Android phones and lots of people are getting a 6 or aren't upgrading at all.

There is always a contingent that criticize everything Apple chooses not to do. There's another contingent that criticizes everything they choose to do. There's still another that assumes their preferences are universal and Apple should build the products they want despite it being painfully clear they'd never sell.

In short there's a wide variety of opinion. There's no everyone here.

21. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

And how does your car steering wheel feel about that? :p

22. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

I won't be able to sleep for months worrying about it.

23. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

Honestly, the 5.5" is ridiculous for a PHONE but many, like me, use it less as a phone and more as a mobile computer where it makes more sense.

24. MichaelWR90 macrumors member

The 6 Plus will help me stop texting and driving.. I can't complain. It's saving my life! +++ Apple!

25. Deguello macrumors 6502

My only one-handed texts are "ok" and the like. I think I can still manage that on the 6+. Anything longer and I use both hands/thumbs in landscape already.