Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
I’m impressed with your slithery ability to change the topic from your idiotic post saying that YOU would be ok with having YOUR phone looked at.... if Nancy Pelosi & all her buddies would as well. That makes zero sense! Are you an important political figure? No? Then how tf does that equate??
Instead of replying, taking a high ground or anything... you get hyper insulting of me, whilst wrapping yourself tightly in some victim garb.

I live in Florida, btw.... & work outdoors- so your silly little attempt at a barb comes nowhere NEAR landing.
Sheesh- at least I only pointed out that your words make no sense. I didn’t go all aggro & go after you personally, by making some bizarre unsubstantiated wild guesses about your lifestyle, to sidestep the convo entirely!

...could you two maybe take this to DMs instead of polluting the thread? Thanks.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Just like sci-fi predicts the future, so do some nursery rhymes...

Trumpty Dumpty sat on his Wall.
Trumpty Dumpty had a great Fall...
(you know the rest)
[automerge]1579118854[/automerge]
Right. There are no back doors. :rolleyes:

So you think they are lying to the world when they say there are no back doors?

And this glass is half empty.

Reactions: DocMultimedia

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Unlocking the phone of a criminal in a "one off" situation...I agree.
But don't show the FBI how to do it.
Do it for them and let them look.
Telling them how to do it = slippery slope.

Once you do it and they know you can they effectively can request a court force you to do it agaon if you refuse. No need to show them how, just that you can.

This is childish. He is able to invite the CEO to the White House, but not get on the phone to have this conversation with him? Putting Apple on blast on Twitter for protecting privacy by making it seem like they're protecting murderers does absolutely nothing except for making him look like an ass for targeting business in America.

that's his MO. He will always paly to his base.

coachgq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Once you do it and they know you can they effectively can request a court force you to do it agaon if you refuse. No need to show them how, just that you can.

Can we set some parameters? Can we agree on the fact that getting information from a criminal's phone is a good thing? I think once a person has committed a crime, they lose the right to privacy. But I am confused as to why the FBI won't just use the 3rd party methods available to them.

that's his MO. He will always paly to his base.

buran-energia

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2017
Huh? Just call the Israeli company that can "miraculously" unlock any iphone, while "none of the US three-letter agencies can". It's actually hilarious to see this show where a company in a country pretends to be above government's orders and NDA (right, Snowden?).

Reactions: itsamacthing

Treq

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2009
Santa Monica, CA
"The Twitter rant..."

Biased much, Juli?

Having asked that, this issue is where Trump loses half his base.
Come on... there is no softer way to describe trump's twitter tirades. Tantrums, maybe... Hot takes? Adderall fueled verbal diarrhea... I don't know.

Reactions: 26139

PugMaster

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2019
Was this already posted somewhere?

The FBI unlocked an iPhone 11 Pro. They don't need Apple's help to unlock anything. All they want is their freaking golden master access key.

NMBob

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
Then why is DOJ, FBI, POTUS asking apple to unlock iPhone, they should just use theird party software/hardware to unlock iPhone.

Right. I guess everyone just needs to see their name in the newspaper. :)
Oh, now it looks like they do have a box that can get into IPhone 11's (GreyKey).

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
No, they are suspected criminals who died before they went to trial.
You haven’t officially committed a crime until you’ve been convicted of such, it’s all allegations.
[automerge]1579101964[/automerge]

What has Apple lied about in the past?
What expertise do you have that makes you certain a product can be reverse engineered by those who designed it?
So seems it’s been done without the help of Apple, (even though Apple didn’t have the ability to do it right?).

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Can we set some parameters? Can we agree on the fact that getting information from a criminal's phone is a good thing?

While it is, how it is done is a very different issue.

I think once a person has committed a crime, they lose the right to privacy.

That is a very dangerous path to take.

When do you stop forfeiting rights when accused of a crime? How about search and seizure? If you are suspected of a crime why not forfeit your right to have a warrant and just let authorities come in take whatever they want?

Or should the President be allowed to use executive privilege to withhold information, since he has been accused of crime?

But I am confused as to why the FBI won't just use the 3rd party methods available to them.

I would guess it would be to make it easier to argue Apple should do it in other cases as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 26139
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.