Done with Macs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mmarcus178, Oct 27, 2016.

1. mmarcus178 macrumors newbie

Our whole house is Apple ecosystem. We've used nothing but Apple pc's for well over a decade and I've been waiting to see what the MBP offerings would look like. What Apple put out there today is simply insulting.

I use my laptop for work, as does my wife. I don't need a silly emoji bar, though it doesn't really bother me. What I need is functionality (power/speed, battery life, portability, longevity, comfort) and a price that makes sense as a value proposition. The combination of fewer ports, a crappier keyboard, and price gauging for minor upgrades (RAM, HD) is not acceptable.

We'll be just fine using iphones and Windows laptops from now on and I'll be giving a serious look to dumping my Apple stock at some point. They've abandoned what made them a company and brand I attached to.

2. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

I'm totally with you on this. I was always willing to pay the apple tax. I could always justify it. But there is a point where apple just pushes too far. This doesn't make any damn sense. I think a lot of us are in a state of shock because this was so unexpected and we are having the same reaction in real time : the realization that we are done with mac. And it's a mixed feeling of sad and angry

What's a good pc laptop? I never even look

3. macTW Suspended

You do realize there are cheaper macs than top-spec' don't, latest release ones, right...?

Still more expensive than competition, but not the absurdity you seem to think.

4. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

The Dell XPS 13 and 15 are really nice, HP's Spectre laptops are pretty good and even Asus and Acer are putting out some decent laptops these days.

5. leman macrumors G3

Bye, have fun with your $2400 Microsoft laptop with inferior specs ;)

6. huckg macrumors member

Any promising new pc laptops comparable to the 15 macbook pro on the horizon? The current ones I'm not too thrilled about.

7. mabaker macrumors 65816

mabaker

Apple will not win people over with prices. Never has.

8. Meister Suspended

Meister

I'm shocked too.

The problem is the alternative: windows :mad:

I'm just going to stick to my current mbp and see how this develops.

I'm usually a huge apple fanboy but this is really stupid.

9. Ceviche Lover macrumors regular

My $1200 Dell XPS 15 comes with the following

i7 Skylake
    512GB SSD
    16GB RAM
    4k UHD
    NVidia GTX960 Graphics
    Edge to Edge display

The same configuration for Apple's new Macbook is $2800.

Have fun with your overpriced Macbook.

10. vlug macrumors 6502

People don't mind paying a premium if its a premium worth paying for! These new MacBook Pro's are not.

11. Mr_Killjoy Suspended

Mr_Killjoy

Stuff it.

Take a break from sipping the kool aid and actually take a look at the competition. Then realize that Apple has dropped the ball on the new MBP, and has truly gouged the prices even more than usual.

$2400 gets you the BASE MODEL 15". Top spec is $4300 in the US. If you don't think that's insanity, let me know who your supplier is, because whatever you're smoking must be top shelf.

12. leman macrumors G3

The fact is that 13" Dell XPS with inferior specs is $200 less. Is a wide color screen, much faster storage, faster GPU and CPU etc. worth $200? I'd say yes.

If we look at the 15" model, yes, the price is a bit on the high end. My last MBP was 2700 swiss franks. The new one is 2900. That includes a rebate we get. Yes, the price has increased. Is that additional price of 200 franks worth it to me for a laptop which is lighter, more ergonomic and vastly superior in its technical characteristics? You bet it.

P.S. Which competition? Who ships a wide gamut screen on a laptop right now? Who even ships a Polaris-equipped laptop? We don't know the exact specs yet, but at any rate, its gaming laptop level performance. In terms of GPU (what people are complaining about), this is the most significant update the MBP has received EVER. I wouldn't be surprised if the 15" MBP is going to be the fastest sub 2.2kg laptop on the market - in all parameters.

13. timothevs macrumors 6502

timothevs

Well evidently so, since he/she can afford the new MBP.

14. OceanView macrumors 65816

I feel the same way as the OP.
    I was waiting to buy a 15" MacBook Pro but for what you get, it's really not worth it. These prices are just insane.
    I think I can get by just fine with my 2014 13"rMBP and just get an external monitor.
    Was looking at the lenovo Thinkpad series which are just gorgeous. Their prices are a bargain compared to these new MBPs.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I've got a 2015 13" MBP. I can't wait to see where this line has gone when I buy a new one in 2020. :)

16. xaqt93 macrumors 6502

xaqt93

I love this whole thread. I am also done with Macs. This is ridiculous. I love my iPhone and iPad. But I am done with buying Macs. Windows it is!

17. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

All the laptops went up in price, even at the base model. Kind of ridiculous.

18. al_bundy, Oct 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2016

al_bundy macrumors newbie

This is the day I decide after so many years to return to Windows, an OS I can't ****ing stand. I actually don't HATE the new macbook pro's. Yet I'm insulted by the pricing structure. There is NOT enough value here.

19. leman macrumors G3

Again, as a cutting end tech comparison, look at the new MS Surface. Its slower than the new Macs, with worse specs, and yet its more expensive. Cutting edge costs money people. If you don't need it, thats ok. But I just don't understand this complaining about Apple being behind, and then if they are not behind anymore, then suddenly its ridiculous because its apparently too expensive.

20. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

This.

Have fun with Winblows. Windows 10, like all other versions before it, absolutely sucks. And yes I've used it extensively. If you don't find the Apple tax worth paying, that's cool bruh, but don't act like the difference ends with the hardware spec list. Software counts too, and in this case more than swamps the price difference for the hardware.

21. Ryan1524 macrumors 68000

Ryan1524

Have fun with Windows. I looked at Windows10, and while it's very good, it's still not enough to bring me back to that side. I value my time and the massively less stressful work environment on the macOS side.

22. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

Windows is atrocious and I only use it for gaming, but the fact does remain that Macs are overpriced ... and they are now even more overpriced than before. You can't argue price-to-spec ratio in regards to Macs and PCs. Anyone that does is delusional. The only thing that Apple consistently takes a fatty dump on the competition is the SSDs. The new Pros have a bandwidth of 3+ GB/sec, which is insane.

23. Kognito, Oct 27, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2016

Kognito macrumors regular

Kognito

This. On top of the student discount dropping from 15% to 10% and the decrease in the GBP exchange rate putting the price up 25% on top of the Touch Bar tax, I'm priced way, WAY out of the market. Guess I'll have to look for one of those 'job' things before I can consider an MBP.

24. Ryan1524 macrumors 68000

Ryan1524

I won't deny that the price gap for macOS and design is widening. For me, it's easier to accept the price increase than going back to Windows.

YMMV.

25. Mr_Killjoy Suspended

Mr_Killjoy

Personally I've just reaffirmed my decision to go iPad/iPhone only. At least I won't take a hit on my 15" MBP when I sell it, since it's still "current gen" and still $2000.