Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oesoto

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2016
Medellín, Colombia
Picked this up from Monoprice...Didn't realized that they had a dongle that had a 4th USB hub, instead of a Ethernet port, smh. Oh well. Hoping it works well.
152502.jpg

I'm also considering that adapter but since I've read so many bad experiences with 3rd party ethernet adapters I haven't wanted to get one yet. Please tell us later how it works for you.

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
I'm also considering that adapter but since I've read so many bad experiences with 3rd party ethernet adapters I haven't wanted to get one yet. Please tell us later how it works for you.

The Anker usb-c eathernet adaptor works fine. I have had no issues with it.

Fozzybadfeet

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2009
Will do.

I've ordered and used mono price in the past. Hoping this is another quality product of theirs.

Reactions: Oesoto

latestmonkey

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2002
hi guys, i need to connect to a monitor that doesn't have hdmi. it does have DVI and displayport though. Can anyone recommend a cable? thanks

Fozzybadfeet

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2009
Picked this up from Monoprice...Didn't realized that they had a dongle that had a 4th USB hub, instead of a Ethernet port, smh. Oh well. Hoping it works well.
152502.jpg
Update:

Received the dongle in the mail and began using it during a Lightroom session. Plugged in my USB Receiver for my MX Master and my external HD and everything ran smoothly. I did notice the dongle feeling warm to the touch. But, the build quality is legit. I wish I purchased the dongle with the 4 USB ports instead...But maybe the ethernet port will come in handy in the future.

qCzar

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
SFBA, CA
Hey guys, looking for a new hub. I currently have a USB-C hub that has an SD card slot 3 USB3 ports and 1 HDMI that I use quite a bit. My issue is that I use my laptop for photo editing and my photos are on a NAS and I get incredibly low read and write speeds over WiFi, 2-3MB/s. When my devices are plugged in over ethernet I can easily reach speeds of 240MB/s.

I'm waiting on the Vertical Dock from HengeDocks so I have some time to find the right adapter. My plan is to dock my laptop and connect to an external monitor. At the bare minimum I need an HDMI, a power in/87w, 1 USB and, ethernet. The monitor I'll be connecting up to has a USB hub built-in so I'll be keeping my current hub in my laptop travel bag. I'd really love the hub to Thunderbolt 3 instead of USB3.1/C but USB3.1 will provide more than enough bandwidth. Bonus points if the dongle has two ethernet ports since my NAS supports link aggregation and that's the only way I can achieve 240MBps (The NAS only supports 1Gbps per ethernet port and it has two) but I can likely just get a second dongle purely for RJ45 to USB-C.

I'll be checking the pages of this topic in the meantime.
Again: 1xHDMI, 1xUSB3, 1-2xEthernet, 1x87w Pass Through

Edit: Found this on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MREK4RS; has 1xEthernet and currently unavailable.

#2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KYVKFDQ/

Last edited:

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
152502.jpg

I have owned this dongle for several months now. I can verify it works perfectly. No issues. In fact, I recommended this dongle a long time ago. It was perfect for the fact it is one of the few that includes an ethernet connection.

And, yes, the dongle gets a tiny bit warm. Nothing to be concerned about. I would say, without a doubt, buy this. Monoprice stands behind all their purchases. I buy from them all the time.

Fozzybadfeet

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2009
I have owned this dongle for several months now. I can verify it works perfectly. No issues. In fact, I recommended this dongle a long time ago. It was perfect for the fact it is one of the few that includes an ethernet connection.

And, yes, the dongle gets a tiny bit warm. Nothing to be concerned about. I would say, without a doubt, buy this. Monoprice stands behind all their purchases. I buy from them all the time.
Nice! I've been very happy with my purchase so far. Definitely will look to buying from Monoprice moving forward.

Fozzybadfeet

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2009
Two questions:

1 - Have you tested the Ethernet port?

2 - Can you please post a picture of the dongle so I can have an idea of how big it is?

Thank you
1. Yes, I have. Works just fine.

2. Sure, I'll take a picture of it when I get home.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
If Fozzy doesn't upload a photo, I will.

I tested the dongle and I am getting proper ethernet speeds.

The dongle is not big at all.

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012

Tjmckay4

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2014
Perth, West Aus
I've got the 13" MBP TB and I'm having a few issues. I'm trying to connect to a projector using a USB C to HDMI adapter. The video works fine but the audio (in sys pref > sound) comes up with Displayport so I have to use the MB speakers. I've tried with the Moshi USB C to HDMI and the HOOTOO shuttle adapter, both with same result. I've included a screen shot of trying to connect to my TV.

I tried Apple support and they just said to use the Apple adapter....

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 10.12.48 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 10.12.48 pm.png
    47.1 KB · Views: 240

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
What I've learned is that USB-C is really complicated and you can't trust dongles with multiple ports from 3rd party manufacturers. You're better off saving time and money by getting the Apple multi adapter.

The exception to this rule would be OWC or maybe Caldigit, everyone else, I wouldn't trust. If you do go 3rd party, get simple adapters that does 1 or 2 things and replace your USB-A cables with USB-C

AriGold

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2010

svendobbelaere

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2012
Belgium
So far, Apple's USB-C to lightning cable and Apple's USB-C to USB-A cable work fine on my 13" Touch Bar MacBook Pro. In All four of the ports.

Next steps are to use a powered USB-A hub with the USB-A cable, and to use the Apple USB-C to Thunderbolt 2 cable with our remaining Thunderbolt Display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.