Dongle thread for the new Macbook Pro's

udontno

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
VA, USA
I just decided to order it. Hopefully it will come soon, as I doubt I will invest in a temp solution. I've already broke the bank, so no need to get something that I won't use in a few weeks.
If y'all remember, I ordered the Hyperdrive from the Kickstarter campaign. You had to go through IndieGoGo to place the order. I ordered April 24th. It is May 17th and we were told to expect a May delivery. I checked the web page to see if there was any updates and nothing... But a lot of comments from people who had ordered around the same time I did, asking for an update. After seeing a comment where someone said they got an email from Best Buy advertising that exact product for sale at Best Buy, I decided to comment as well. That was last night. Today I got an email with tracking information. The package is coming from Hong Kong, so they said it could take two weeks.

scott_donald

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2016
Just bought the Lacie thunderbolt rugged raid drive.

Have a 2016 MacBook Pro.

Need advice on what adapter to get... smaller the better as this is my portable drive for video editing on the go....

So far the apple one seems the best bet....

Sinochick

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2010
Vancouver, BC
If y'all remember, I ordered the Hyperdrive from the Kickstarter campaign. You had to go through IndieGoGo to place the order. I ordered April 24th. It is May 17th and we were told to expect a May delivery. I checked the web page to see if there was any updates and nothing... But a lot of comments from people who had ordered around the same time I did, asking for an update. After seeing a comment where someone said they got an email from Best Buy advertising that exact product for sale at Best Buy, I decided to comment as well. That was last night. Today I got an email with tracking information. The package is coming from Hong Kong, so they said it could take two weeks.
I just bought the Hyperdrive from Best Buy a few days ago....tried it today with my new MBP w TB and......it didn't work! I have no idea if I wasn't doing something I needed to do. I basically just plug it in the 2 ports?

udontno

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
VA, USA
I just bought the Hyperdrive from Best Buy a few days ago....tried it today with my new MBP w TB and......it didn't work! I have no idea if I wasn't doing something I needed to do. I basically just plug it in the 2 ports?
I got mine like a week or so ago. The postal service didn't put it on my porch but instead I had to go and get it from the post office. Which annoyed me as I paid to have it come to my house, not to have to go fetch it during my lunch hour.

I plugged it in and was able to use one of the USB ports. Both of the pieces need to be plugged in. I had to like push it in and make sure it was in good. The house I am renting lacks a lot of space so most of my computing is done on my bed or a couch. Definitely wanna use this at a table since it seems it didn't like me moving around and shifting positions.

I wish I had something to plug in all the ports to ensure they work. Haven't had too much time to play with it. Of course it didn't come before my summer class started.

drill423

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2009
Houston
Any of you with the hyperdrive having issues with the USB ports not recognizing anything after the computer has been sleeping? Half the time, the hyperdrive doesn't recognize either my printer or external hard drives, but these devices are recognized by other computers. Sadly disappointed with this product. I've contacted customer support but their responses have been highly disappointing thus far. I'm using the 2017 MacBook Pro, 15 inch.

udontno

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
VA, USA
Any of you with the hyperdrive having issues with the USB ports not recognizing anything after the computer has been sleeping? Half the time, the hyperdrive doesn't recognize either my printer or external hard drives, but these devices are recognized by other computers. Sadly disappointed with this product. I've contacted customer support but their responses have been highly disappointing thus far. I'm using the 2017 MacBook Pro, 15 inch.
Actually, I have this problem too. Another thing I noticed--when I put the hyperdrive on the left side of the computer it is even with the computer body. I hope that makes sense. When on the right side the hyper drive is not even with the computer body. It does feel more securely in on the right side, but I hate that it isn't flush with the computer. Is that normal? I really ought to write them myself. Doubt I will get anything out of it.

drill423

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2009
Houston
Actually, I have this problem too. Another thing I noticed--when I put the hyperdrive on the left side of the computer it is even with the computer body. I hope that makes sense. When on the right side the hyper drive is not even with the computer body. It does feel more securely in on the right side, but I hate that it isn't flush with the computer. Is that normal? I really ought to write them myself. Doubt I will get anything out of it.

It's not flush on the right for me, either. Customer service is replacing mine. Worth contacting them. Sometimes the hyperdrive works, sometimes it doesn't. Even using. USBC to USB dongle in the USBC slot doesn't work like they mentioned it would. Maybe mine is just defective.

udontno

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
VA, USA
It's not flush on the right for me, either. Customer service is replacing mine. Worth contacting them. Sometimes the hyperdrive works, sometimes it doesn't. Even using. USBC to USB dongle in the USBC slot doesn't work like they mentioned it would. Maybe mine is just defective.
I will get in touch with them. I had a terrible experience with the indiegogo. No updates, behind schedule, lots of complaints online, and it was available in stores before I got mine. So I am not hopeful.

Amindunraveled

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2017
Hey everyone, I just purchased a new 2017 macbook pro non-touch an i have two LG external monitors i want to connect the macbook pro too and also be able to have it run in extended mode. Can anyone point me in the right direction of cables or dongles I need to buy to make this happen. The only ports on the monitors are hdmi. Thank you in advance.

narin

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2006
Looking for a hub that can provide passthrough charging, at least 2 USB A ports, and ability to connect to a 4k display at 60hz (via HDMI, mDP, or USB-C). Most I have found only support up to 30hz, or do not allow for pass through charging and connection to the display at the same time. Ideally this isn't one of those $200+ thunderbolt docks. Does such a device exist? Thanks in advance!

joevt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2012
Looking for a hub that can provide passthrough charging, at least 2 USB A ports, and ability to connect to a 4k display at 60hz (via HDMI, mDP, or USB-C). Most I have found only support up to 30hz, or do not allow for pass through charging and connection to the display at the same time. Ideally this isn't one of those $200+ thunderbolt docks. Does such a device exist? Thanks in advance!
You need a Thunderbolt dock.

A USB-C dock is limited to 4K@30Hz because two lanes of the USB-C port are used for USB transmit and receive. The other two lanes are for DisplayPort 1.2 transmit. A 4K@60Hz display requires all 4 lanes for DisplayPort 1.2.

MBPnoob

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2010
So, I've bought my first Macbook Pro in a long time, thanks to tax free weekend and a couple of stacking edu coupons...

In any case, I severely underestimated my need for dongles... Just off the top of my head:

- USB for my favorite mechanical keyboard
- USB for my favorite ergo mouse
- USB for my headset
- 10/100/1000 ethernet as our campus wifi is simply terrible
- HDMI to a 1080p monitor (preferable 4K compatible for when I get one)
- Charge passthrough

Just doing a quick look on Amazon, it looks like there are a few options, but none of which seem to hit ALL of the wishlist items.

joevt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2012
So, I've bought my first Macbook Pro in a long time, thanks to tax free weekend and a couple of stacking edu coupons...

In any case, I severely underestimated my need for dongles... Just off the top of my head:

- USB for my favorite mechanical keyboard
- USB for my favorite ergo mouse
- USB for my headset
- 10/100/1000 ethernet as our campus wifi is simply terrible
- HDMI to a 1080p monitor (preferable 4K compatible for when I get one)
- Charge passthrough

Just doing a quick look on Amazon, it looks like there are a few options, but none of which seem to hit ALL of the wishlist items.
Google the following "ethernet HDMI USB usb-c". You'll find more products than going through Amazon. If you're keyboard or display has a USB port or two, then you can plug your mouse and/or headset into that and use a device with fewer USB ports. You could get a USB-C dock, but if you have Thunderbolt 3, then a Thunderbolt 3 dock would have more capabilities (4K@60 Hz instead of just 4K@30 Hz, and one USB 3.1 gen 2 port, instead of just USB 3.1 gen 1 ports).

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
Why haven't you been using a docking station? Those are meant for connecting all that stuff in 1 go to whatever notebook you have. I had a setup like that and the TB2-TB3 dongle was the only one I needed to get all that stuff working again.

ledamon

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2017
I just bought the new MacBook Pro with the touch bar. I've been looking at a hub and it seems like the most popular ones are the satechi and the hyperdrive. Especially the satechi seems to have tons of poor reviews reporting issues of dropping connections and poor performance. I just want to be able to a) charge my iPhone and b) occasionally use hdmi. What is the best option for me?
[doublepost=1502827846][/doublepost]
I just bought the new MacBook Pro with the touch bar. I've been looking at a hub and it seems like the most popular ones are the satechi and the hyperdrive. Especially the satechi seems to have tons of poor reviews reporting issues of dropping connections and poor performance. I just want to be able to a) charge my iPhone and b) occasionally use hdmi. What is the best option for me?
I'm leaning towards the Satechi now, this one:
https://satechi.net/collections/usb-type-c/products/aluminum-type-c-pro-hub-adapter-for-2016-macbook-pro-13-and-15-40gbs-thunderbolt-3-4k-hdmi-pass-through-charging-sd-micro-card-reader-and-2-usb-3-0-ports?variant=34900214729

Would love to hera objections if people have had bad experiences with this one, before i buy one

irontiger82

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2011
What up guys. Seems like some people are in the same boat as me and trying to find an all-in-one solution.

I've been using CharJenPro's Hub at home and their MacStick in my bag and they have been great so far, but they just announced a MacBar edition.

I was holding off until I some some initial reviews but it seems like it's looking real good, esp. looking at the video reviews.

Seem like it is similar to the Hyperdrive and Saetechi with better quality but it even cost less.

I'm going to give it a go.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0746381W6

Attachments

PortableLover

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2012
england
Hi guys, any good ethernet gigabit adaptors out there? Seen a few on amazon but would like some advice. Will connect directly to a gigabit NAS.

zeebo1

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2017
I feel like this should have a straightforward answer, but I haven't find it.

What cable/dongle/adapter will work with displayport to usb-c at 4k/60fps?

Sovon Halder

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2016
India
Juiced Systems BizHUB : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JD9GN6I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Having the following issue on my MBP 2017 TB 13" (High Sierra). If I disconnect the charging cable from the pass through usb-c charging port, all the other devices connected that that time (a thumb drive, a SD card), they disconnect and connect - macOS sends a notification that 'devices not ejected properly'.

Similar thing happens if for disconnecting a 512G self powered external HDD also.

I've tried checking the above by connecting the dongle on both the left and right side of the laptop.

Anybody else experiencing this ?

djnigelchung

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2015
Silicon Valley
Been looking for a few months, can't find a solution. Hoping you guys can help me out.
I'm looking for an all-in-one device.. Needs 4k 60 through HDMI, 3 USB ports, SD card slot.. I cannot find a dongle that will give me 4k@60, plenty of 4k@30 but I've tried that and it's a pain. I guess I shouldn't have gotten a 4K TV to use as my monitor, but here I am.

If I am unable to find a single solution, I'll have to get a USB-C to HDMI 2.0 adaptor, and then a USB-C to USB 3.0 and SD card slot adaptor.. still wouldn't be too bad having two things plugged in (power going through the second dongle hopefully)

Thanks to anyone that can help!

Edit: would like to add, I also use Windows (through Bootcamp) quite a bit, so the 4k60 would need to work in both environments.

joevt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2012
What cable/dongle/adapter will work with displayport to usb-c at 4k/60fps?
You could try a USB-C to DisplayPort cable. I think they can work in reverse as DisplayPort to USB-C (if the USB-C connector of the other device is female). If you have a computer that doesn't have USB-C, and you want to connect a display that uses USB-C with DisplayPort alt mode, then you could use a PCIe card that includes a USB controller, a DisplayPort input, and a USB-C output, such as the SUNIX UPD2018, or Delock 89582. A Thunderbolt add-in card can also be used such as the GC-ALPINE RIDGE which can not only convert DisplayPort to USB-C with DisplayPort alt mode, but can also convert DisplayPort and dual DisplayPort to Thunderbolt and has two USB-C outputs. The cards don't need to be connected to your computer to allow DisplayPort conversion, but they need power from a PCIe slot. You can use an enclosure like the "ADP-099-31" for that.

I'm looking for an all-in-one device.. Needs 4k 60 through HDMI, 3 USB ports, SD card slot.. I cannot find a dongle that will give me 4k@60, plenty of 4k@30 but I've tried that and it's a pain. I guess I shouldn't have gotten a 4K TV to use as my monitor, but here I am.

If I am unable to find a single solution, I'll have to get a USB-C to HDMI 2.0 adaptor, and then a USB-C to USB 3.0 and SD card slot adaptor.. still wouldn't be too bad having two things plugged in (power going through the second dongle hopefully)

Thanks to anyone that can help!

Edit: would like to add, I also use Windows (through Bootcamp) quite a bit, so the 4k60 would need to work in both environments.
You need a Thunderbolt 3 dock to allow both 4K @ 60 Hz and USB 3.0 gen 1 ports (see #838 above). They usually also provide a single USB 3.1 gen 2 port if it's the last Thunderbolt device in the chain. Your computer must support Thunderbolt to use any of the non-display ports.