Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

symphara

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2013
I agree USB-C may have been a better option to go with on the iPhone 7/7+. That way everything could be consistent and universal. It seems like Apple was scared to make too big of a change to the iPhone. Remember when Apple first switched to the lightning port on the iPhone 5. Many people were super upset about that. It would have been a double whammy if Apple removed the headphone jack and lighting port.
Yes, of course USB-C would have been better. But their greed is constantly pushing them into vendor-proprietary connectors and non-standard solutions in general, and usually it works out (for them). It keeps their customers locked in, be that with peripherals, applications, iMessage, FaceTime, whatever.

This time it's biting them in the *** and they rightfully look like fools selling the latest iPhone and the latest Macbook (Pro or otherwise) with no out-of-the-box connectivity solution.

By the way, while you might be right that a lightning port on the Macbook, with the appropriate 3.5mm dongle (supplied or sold separately) wouldn't technically impact the average user, this move would had virtually guaranteed that Apple would become a laughing stock on forums, reviews, etc. That's not cool, and cool is important when selling stuff based on perceived coolness. And this would impact their average user, who pays the Apple tax to look cool.

Rkuda

macrumors regular
May 23, 2016
I agree with your lightning port on Mac comment BUT....................

Apple, apple, apple... Why, why, why?

IF Apple is so committed to USB C then why do their new offerings NOT ship with USB C other than the Mac? If USB C is it, then axe the lightning connection all together.. The iPhone 7 should have USB C and the just released AirPods and Apple Watch (series 1 and 2) should be USB C.. They are not!

Because they already have other strategies for the future of their iOS devices?

For their accessories they could have gone with USB-C, but chose to stick with Lightning. It could have been as simple as they calculated the majority of users would find more value being able to charge their iPad, iPhone, AirPods, Apple Remote, Magic Keyboard and Magic Trackpad with their existing Lightning cables.

Honestly I doubt we will see USB-C on any of their accessories or future iOS devices. Apple obviously sees the future for those kinds of things as being wireless.

Once we get wireless charging the lightning port will probably be dropped not long after. Maybe replaced with the smart connector on the iPhone. Then their accessories after that will also switch to wireless charging.

USB-C/TB3 is put to much better use driving 5K displays, eGPUs and other powerful hardware.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
Because they already have other strategies for the future of their iOS devices?

Perhaps. Only Apple knows the answer and I guess time will tell.

It could have been as simple as they calculated the majority of users would find more value being able to charge their iPad, iPhone, AirPods, Apple Remote, Magic Keyboard and Magic Trackpad with their existing Lightning cables.

Yes but none of them can connect to a 2016 MacBook without a dongle... It's odd if you ask me. Some people use the MacBook to charge their devices and some want to connect iPhone to MacBook for whatever reason...

I honestly don't care either way and I am fine with using a dongle but it's still an odd choice on Apple's part..

Rkuda

macrumors regular
May 23, 2016
Perhaps. Only Apple knows the answer and I guess time will tell.

Yes but none of them can connect to a 2016 MacBook without a dongle... It's odd if you ask me. Some people use the MacBook to charge their devices and some want to connect iPhone to MacBook for whatever reason...

I honestly don't care either way and I am fine with using a dongle but it's still an odd choice on Apple's part..

It's very slightly inconvenient to have this problem. I guess I don't really care at all since I knew what I was getting into when i bought my MBP and I also knew full well that I would be somewhat of an early adopter when it came to USB-C

What I wonder is why so many people just now are complaining so much. People who are ostensibly Pros and should know the situation without any surprises.

Retina MacBook owners had a nearly 2 year head start on us, and it sells to Joe and Jane user a lot more than the new MBPs do and there was nary a peep from them comparatively about this issue.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
Yes but none of them can connect to a 2016 MacBook without a dongle...
That's so not true at all because they all can connect to the new MacBook Pro and MacBook without using a single dongle. Apple has a Lightning to USB-C cable which works absolutely fine. My iPad not only connects but also charges. Duet Display works fine with it too.

Reactions: HenryDJP

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
That's so not true at all because they all can connect to the new MacBook Pro and MacBook without using a single dongle. Apple has a Lightning to USB-C cable which works absolutely fine. My iPad not only connects but also charges. Duet Display works fine with it too.

I didn't feel like writing a 47 page dissertation on the topic to cover every response someone would have and I assumed most people reading the statement would understand what was meant..

But yes you are correct... You either need a dongle OR a different cable... Chose your poison.....

The point was that NOTHING Apple sells will connect directly to a 2016 MacBook Pro with the cable that ships in their respective box(s)...

Last edited:

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
The point was that people are being obsessive with the USB-C ports and dongles. No you don't need dongles, no it is not the end of Apple or your life. There are far worse things in life. Do what normal people do: find a solution and move on.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
The point was that people are being obsessive with the USB-C ports and dongles. No you don't need dongles, no it is not the end of Apple or your life. There are far worse things in life. Do what normal people do: find a solution and move on.

Maybe you should read what I wrote....

The point is that Apple's direction at the moment is a bit odd....

Reactions: Kjung7

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
Maybe you should read what I wrote....
Anyone reading what you wrote can see you only say these things after someone pointed something out to you. Stop backtracking and just admit you're wrong, it doesn't hurt you.

I wouldn't call it odd, there are perfectly sound reasons for doing it this way. They simplified the amount of different connections they had previously to only 3: Lightning for smartphones and tablets, USB-C + headphone jack for desktops and notebooks. That used to be: Lightning, Thunderbolt, USB, MagSafe, HDMI etc. Apple is also known for migrating to new tech by doing it in steps. Obviously the first step was using it on Macs. They didn't have any choice because they invested in Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt now uses USB-C as its connector. The next step is probably tablets and after that the smartphones. It is inevitable and it saves them whatever investments they need to make for the entire MFi project.

Reactions: HenryDJP

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
Anyone reading what you wrote can see you only say these things after someone pointed something out to you. Stop backtracking and just admit you're wrong, it doesn't hurt you.

Odd, my comment reads pretty clear to me...

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
Then please point out to us where it says:

After having satisfied your trolling needs, can we go back to topic? You know: being serious about dongles.

darkloki

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2012
Orange County California
I own the 15" 2016 Macbook Pro and I can definitely say that the touchbar is more or less like Siri, you either use it and like it or you just simply never use it. I'm not really upset about the dongles but the Lack of an HDMI port is upsetting. Not everyone has Apple TV and now every where you go with your mobile laptop has an Apple TV to hook up to.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
I'm not really upset about the dongles but the Lack of an HDMI port is upsetting. Not everyone has Apple TV and now every where you go with your mobile laptop has an Apple TV to hook up to.
I also don't mind dongles and adapters but I can see where some might be upset.. For me, the loss of the SD card slot was the biggest bummer..

After having satisfied your trolling needs, can we go back to topic? You know: being serious about dongles.

I'm still waiting for you to show an Apple device that can directly plug into a 2016 MacBook Pro with the cable that ships in it's box.. I'll wait, no rush....

And just because someone does not agree with you, that means they are trolling? Seriously? I think I've been pretty clear in my thoughts on the matter so I'll leave it at that.. Have a nice day and relax, it's New Years Eve...

Last edited:

vatter69

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
Not only loss of SD card but still cannot find a real good usb-c sd card reader thats in spacegrey and not getting 2/5 stars in Amazon ratings.

Reactions: raqball

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
Not only loss of SD card but still cannot find a real good usb-c sd card reader thats in spacegrey and not getting 2/5 stars in Amazon ratings.

Yeah.. I am currently using a contraption of sorts.. I use a small microSD card reader with USB A on the end then that goes into a USB A to USB C cable. For my fulll sized SD cards I have another adapter..

I am hoping someone makes a decent SD --> USB C reader soon..

Not optimal:

IMG_0073.JPG

IMG_0074.JPG

Last edited:

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
Removing the headphone jack wasn't for any of the publicly pronounced reasons. It was $. The wanted to make the iPhone water resistant and removing it eliminated a relatively expensive component. Water resistant headphone jack is more expensive than a regular one. Introduces another water entry point for failure. Save money and be more water resistant. Water resistant is the advertising point they wanted.
Awww. I have my own troll fan! I am touched, and enjoy the avatar. I went back to see why you have butthurt and apparently it was from this very thread! Enjoy the read if you didn't read it weeks ago.
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/24003974/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.