Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
I like my 9.7 iPad Pro so much that I might buy a few as stocking stuffers this Christmas. :D

tom504

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2009
Ipad Air 2 is still a great device and should be usable for a long time. I got the Pro 9.7 because I bought a Tmobile Air 2 the day of the release and all they had was a 16gb and for me that was a huge mistake and after that was always pulling apps off to get others on.

If I would have gotten a Air 2 64gb I most likely would have passed on the Pro 9.7 for now.

sdugoten

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2010
Have told all my friends and family who wanted to buy an ipad recently to buy the ipad Air 2 instead of ipad Pro 9.7.

I see no reason buying the ipad pro if you just want a simple tablet, not a tablet with a keyboard + pen. iPad air 2 comes with the same 2G ram , close enough CPU performance, BETTER video playback battery life , and 32G more storage space for $100 bucks less.

For people who just want to have a simple tablet, this is no brainer.

Last edited:

tom504

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2009
If I had an older Ipad including an Air I would have upgraded to a Pro. Really at $599 for a 32gb Pro, that is what Apple charges for that storage size anyway, even though I ended up with a 128gb.

Of course it would seem that it's not worth it if you're upgrading from an Air 2, but it is a rational upgrade from an iPad 2/3 etc.

TheMustacheBandit

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2016
I disagree. I purchased the iPad Pro 9.7 and also own an iPad Air 2. I think the screen is so much better, that when I use my Air 2 now, it looks very dim and not as colorful. The screens are no comparison. I don't think I can go back to the Air 2.

Wow, you either are a shill or you have convinced yourself something that isn't true just to justify your purchase. There is almost no difference between the air 2 and the iPad Pro outside of pencil support and true tone. Stop misguiding people just because you wasted money on an unnecessary "upgrade".

Reactions: trifid

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
I'm actually currently testing both. I'm trying to get rid of my 16gb air2 due to space issues. My upgrade options are refurb 64gb air 2 with lte (wanted gray so had to upgrade to lte) for $519 or 128gb pro for $749. I feel like the biggest thing is the fact that pro doesn't offer the sweet spot of 64gb. Realistically for "pro" users the comparison is with the $499 64gb air 2 and the $749 128gb pro, a $250 price difference

tom504

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2009
That was my thought process when justifying on a good deal on a bigger Air 2 or a Pro. I felt the upgrade was worth the price and went with the Pro.

I'm actually currently testing both. I'm trying to get rid of my 16gb air2 due to space issues. My upgrade options are refurb 64gb air 2 with lte (wanted gray so had to upgrade to lte) for $519 or 128gb pro for $749. I feel like the biggest thing is the fact that pro doesn't offer the sweet spot of 64gb. Realistically for "pro" users the comparison is with the $499 64gb air 2 and the $749 128gb pro, a $250 price difference

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
Tell that to the 1st 64-bit CPU folks with the iPad Air 1

I've no idea what makes you thing there was/is anything wrong with the Air1 and its processor.
It was my iPad until I bough the Pro and it is now still used by my wife.
It runs absolutely fine with iOS 9.

Much better than its predecessor (iPad 4) yet surpassed by its successor (Air 2)
Isn't this true of all iPads?

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Wow, you either are a shill or you have convinced yourself something that isn't true just to justify your purchase. There is almost no difference between the air 2 and the iPad Pro outside of pencil support and true tone. Stop misguiding people just because you wasted money on an unnecessary "upgrade".
And the sound, and the processor, and the smart connector, and......ugh, never mind. I wish people that don't feel like they want to spend money on the Pro (which is totally fine) would stop trying to convince everyone else that THEY shouldn't. Why can't people just live and let live?

Reactions: HiItsMe

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
Wow - you sure must be a sensitive, mean person. I only posted my thoughts, as I actually have the iPad Pro 9.7 and iPad Air 2. Trust me if was not so much better, I wold not keep it. And yes there is a big difference in brightness and color. I have shown both devices to many friends and family and they all agree. So, no misguiding going on here, only honest opinions. The keyboard is another good reason to upgrade. Definitely not an unnecessary upgrade, but maybe it is to someone like you who many not have the monetary means to upgrade? If so, keep telling yourself there is no difference. :)

Maybe your eyes are really bad that you can't notice the difference in the screen? Looks like you just joined here, so guessing you are a troll.

joscejrod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 16, 2015
Wow - you sure must be a sensitive, mean person. I only posted my thoughts, as I actually have the iPad Pro 9.7 and iPad Air 2. Trust me if was not so much better, I wold not keep it. And yes there is a big difference in brightness and color. I have shown both devices to many friends and family and they all agree. So, no misguiding going on here, only honest opinions. The keyboard is another good reason to upgrade. Definitely not an unnecessary upgrade, but maybe it is to someone like you who many not have the monetary means to upgrade? If so, keep telling yourself there is no difference. :)

Maybe your eyes are really bad that you can't notice the difference in the screen? Looks like you just joined here, so guessing you are a troll.

Nothing of that justifies the incremental expense. 9'7 ipad pro should have been priced at 499$ (it's only an ipad air 3 with pencil support). The ipad market is shrink, and apple increases the prince tag...we'll see the results of sales in next months.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
Today at the Apple store I saw exactly this scenario a Mother of her adult son and his 13 year old daughter. Buying this 80+ year old lady an iPad Pro with keyboard and Printer. The Big iPad Pro so She could see things Bigger. And watch Movies in bed. The old lady could not even Lift the iPad Pro, she had a walker also. 100% shes gonna drop it.

I bet that old lady is really going to enjoy her new iPad Pro and won't be on here complaining that she wished they had bought her an Air 2 instead.

Last edited:

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
I like my 9.7 iPad Pro so much that I might buy a few as stocking stuffers this Christmas. :D

What???! No chocolate pennies and a satsuma. Instead just a stinking tablet? Pffft, ruining Christmas so it is you Scrooge :D
[doublepost=1460320661][/doublepost]
These kinds of threads really amaze me!

Silver threads and golden needles. That amazes me.

....... A shiny penny to the first person who has even a clue what that's about :D

Reactions: seadragon

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
(it's only an ipad air 3 with pencil support).

I shouldn't but this type of statements is starting to get on my nerves.

What is an "air 3" exactly, in your opinion?
How should this imaginary "air 3" differ from what a "Pro", in your opinion, ought to be?
..and please, don't make this all be about 2gb of memory.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
I bet that old lady is really going to enjoy her new iPad Pad and won't be on here complaining that she wished they had bought her an Air 2 instead.
If this old lady really couldnt see that well...I would have bought her the Samsung View 18.4 inch....that thing is huge and looks like something suitable for nearly blind people who wanna use a few apps.

joscejrod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 16, 2015
I shouldn't but this type of statements is starting to get on my nerves.

What is an "air 3" exactly, in your opinion?
How should this imaginary "air 3" differ from what a "Pro", in your opinion, ought to be?
..and please, don't make this all be about 2gb of memory.

Please, don't be irritated. We're only sharing our thougths here. When I've said it's only an ipad air 3, I wanted to say it's only an incremental update like iphone 6 to 6s was, like ipad air to air 2 was, like ipad 3 to ipad 4 was, like iphone 4s to 5 was...and, in all cases, the updated version conserved the original price tag. So what this time is different? Smart keyboard port and pencil support (and for that the name of the thread). I have collected some reviews that support that idea:

-Alphr: "It's a much better iPad than the iPad Air 2, thanks to support for the Pencil and the Smart Keyboard"
-Zdnet: "It's still very expensive -- a full £150/$200 more than the starting price of the iPad Air 2 -- and we imagine that most professional users would want to upgrade to the even more expensive 128GB and 256GB models too. It should sell well to Apple's loyal creative users, but the iPad Air 2 still represents better value for general use at home or for business users who simply need to run Microsoft Office"
-Cnet: "But if I already had an iPad Air 2, I'd hold off unless I really needed the drawing features enabled by Apple's excellent Pencil stylus (sold separately for $99, £79 and AU$165)."

So, a very good tablet. The best ever! But "pro" moniker it's only because apple it's going to remove "air" name to all of their products in the near future .And this incremental update don't justify much higher costs.
[doublepost=1460324784][/doublepost]And I want to say something more...apple has raised the bar very high with hardware. It's near perfect now, but the true problem with ipads and their limitations are not the hardware. They need to add "pro" things to iOs, more than split view, smart connector or pencils...If they really want ipad replacing laptops, they need to develop the software much more. Now, it's the bottleneck. But June is near, and maybe ios 10 surprise us...:)

Last edited:

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
The screen is amazing, True Tone is amazing, the speakers sound magnificent, the camera is beyond what I expected, the pencil is the best stylus I've ever used and it's very snappy and will continue to be for a few years I hope. Well worth the price gap between the Air 2 in my opinion.
This iPad is my favourite, overall all the others that I've owned previously.

joscejrod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 16, 2015
There's a whole other world of iPad owners other than those who own Air 2s. For those of us who had older models we have upgraded to Apple's finest offering to date and we're loving our decision.

Yep, but all of them can update their ipads to ipad air 2(great change), without paying 250€ more...
[doublepost=1460327705][/doublepost]
iPad Air and iPad Pro are two separate models, don't get them confused.

Of course, ipad pro supports pencil and it has smart connector. The ipad air line doesn't

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.