iPad mini Don't buy a Retina Mini not worth It.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Robster3, Jun 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Probably should of titled this don't buy a retina mini if you own a iPad Air or have used one.
    In comparison whites are not white and colours are washed out and have about 50% less colour than the Air. Even just the apps look crap in comparison.
    If you are happy with your mini you either don't care, are colour blind, the size is more important, or have never used a Air.
    This version is not worth the $$.

Bring on the mini fans but you can't argue against the facts.

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Should have stopped right there. People who are happy with the retina mini obviously don't care about the color difference. Surely nothing wrong wth that.

3. Robster3 thread starter macrumors 68000

Didn't say there was anything wrong with it just saying they are not worth it, have been using both for 2 weeks so can compare.
    Maybe the next one will be as good as the Air. It's not now.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

It's not worth it TO YOU. For people who don't care about the colors, it is totally worth it.

5. Lostanddamned macrumors 6502a

Lostanddamned

I’m achromatopsic. I am entirely happy with my retina mini.

6. Robster3, Jun 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2014

Robster3 thread starter macrumors 68000

Isn't this a opinion website. Guess if you are that big a Apple fan there is no complaining.

White is not even white.

Also slower.

No difference in battery usage.

7. allthatjazz macrumors regular

Don't know what you're talking about. Retina mini is totally worth it for the size.

8. JackieInCo Suspended

I have been extremely happy with my a Retina Mini and it along with my iPad Air are my most used devices. Highly recommend the Mini. The mini is not slower than the air in any way.

9. Robster3 thread starter macrumors 68000

So you don't see any difference in colours and whites?

10. JackieInCo Suspended

Not as bad as people make it out to be. I use them both daily and the Retina Mini is probably my favorite. I take it with me. I bought the Air to use at home.

For the record, I have the 128GB LTE Retina Mini. A lot of money spent on something if I thought it was inferior, which it isn't.

11. Robster3 thread starter macrumors 68000

Not talking about size. Its colours and whites. Air is way better.

12. JackieInCo Suspended

I'll say it again. This is not as big of a problem as people make it out as.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't need to argue facts, you see, I like my rMini its a great tablet and I have no problems with the color.

Because you do, does not mean that everyone has to stop buying the rMini. You like the Air better, great, one size does not fit all. As for me, I'm enjoying my rMini :)

14. Robster3 thread starter macrumors 68000

Maybe not for some, but it's very noticeable to me. I am glad I only bought a 16gb wifi on sale. Maybe if I had of got rid of the air i might be able to live with it but having both going between the 2 the mini is sub par.

----------

Not talking about size, for the big difference in colours I don't think it's with it.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nor was I. The comment "One size doesn't fit all" is a quote that is used to imply that one product will not satisfy all consumers.

My argument is that the rMini is a great tablet and many people prefer it. While you are not liking the color reproduction other have not had a problem with.

As I already stated, just because you don't like it, means that every other consumer should stop buying it.

16. iPhysicist macrumors 65816

iPhysicist

Breath...

Bad day? No sex? 50% less color? I know your Problem... Don't even start a thread about your issues it's not worth the time. :D

17. ron7624 macrumors 68020

ron7624

Facts? On paper or is written that it is slower, but I can't see the difference.
    Who, has a need to use the 2 side by side? Not me.
    I've got both. I use the rMini. The one time I put them together (and I only did that because of posts like yours) I pulled up a beautiful, colorful sunset. There was so little difference that I now scoff at claims like this.
    But you are certainly entitled to YOUR personal opinion.
    Submitted on my magical iPad rMini. :cool:

18. Robster3 thread starter macrumors 68000

:p:p

----------

Ok, Have a look at the apps on the home page side by side and tell me what you see? Or a book with white background?

Maybe i have a dud??

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's the bottom line, its the OP's personal opinion and he's certainly entitled too it.

The issue is the OP thinks since he's right and we all are wrong and its a mistake for anyone to purchase the mini and we all should have bought an iPad air.

20. ron7624 macrumors 68020

ron7624

Again, why put them side by side? I'm not going to play that game. Next you will have me setting the brightness slider to a certain percentage to maximize the differences.:rolleyes: Why don't you turn off the Air and look at the page you are asking me to compare. Now, on the mini, is that page useable and readable or is there so much degradation of quality that it can't be used?

21. Robster3 thread starter macrumors 68000

I use them side by side all the time, sorry to upset your little iPad world but i wouldn't mind knowing if i have a dud or not, seeing everyone so up in arms about the thread.

I just counted 14 apple products in my house guess i know nothing:eek:

22. SandboxGeneral, Jun 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2014

SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

Perhaps it is a fact that there is a color difference between them, but it doesn't bother me in the least. I'm not so picky as to allow it to affect my enjoyment of the rMini. I don't even notice it and completely forgot about the 'issue' from when it was first released last year. Frankly, I don't even see the point of bringing it up.

23. ron7624 macrumors 68020

ron7624

If you have 14 Apple products, then you know if it is a dud or not. My little Apple world is just peachy...or appley.
    If you have a dud, then get it exchanged. If you have a dud though, and you're comparing it to the Air and you have to ask .. I'm at a loss of what to advise:confused:

24. David58117 macrumors 65816

The problem is - you use them side by side!

The tint and contrast is a little bit different between my gf's iPad mini retina and my Air - but who cares? Hers also fits in a pocket and is easier to read books on than mine.

Yes, I can display an imagine on each one and say "See? Mine looks more vibrant!" But - who really cares? We don't do photography nor do we feel the need to sit and analyze photos, as we would rather use the apps themselves rather than spend time worrying about "This red could be more red.."

Besides, I've used some full body cases that degrade the screen quality just as much if not more.

I'm happy, she's happy.

You being unhappy won't affect me in the least.

25. Robster3 thread starter macrumors 68000

I must of missed that memo seeing as i got the air back then and only just got the mini 2 weeks ago.

I Must of hit a nerve if the mods are chiming in:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.