Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uwdude

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2014
Was it the included remote that wouldn't connect to it or the iPhone? I know with mine I put the iPhone to sleep and woke it up to toggle the bluetooth to turn on again, and then it connected.

tomekosiowy

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2013
Poland
I am not getting any newer Apple TV untill they made just TV with iOS.

All new 4K TVs (and not Samsung only) comes with Android now. And this is the real reason why it is crazy to buy Apple TV.

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Dang it, I read the post too late, and I bought it! To make matters worse, setup was a breeze, and it's working well, and since I like it, I don't feel comfortable returning it. I'm stuck! ;)

Reactions: Mr.C and DNichter

netdoc66

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
New Jersey
Just returned my ATV4!
Completely unable to set up. This is just not acceptable for any Apple product.
Would not connect to device via bluetooth for set up and on manual failed every time on date and time.
This happened on both wifi and ethernet.
So not fit for purpose suggest no one buys it until it does work.
Who do you work for and why are you here?!?!?

Hordak

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2015
Kansas City
I too had no luck whatsoever even getting any of the three iPhones or two iPads in my house recognizing the Apple TV when trying the Bluetooth setup. Of the iPhone 5, 5S and 6S Plus the 5 was the only one that it even showed up on but it would not connect in any way. I assume I should exchange it for another unit?

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I too had no luck whatsoever even getting any of the three iPhones or two iPads in my house recognizing the Apple TV when trying the Bluetooth setup. Of the iPhone 5, 5S and 6S Plus the 5 was the only one that it even showed up on but it would not connect in any way. I assume I should exchange it for another unit?

Yes, absolutely. I had no issues with both of mine. Try placing the phone directly on top of the ATV4 first though. That's what worked for me.

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
Some people have had issues with the initial activation. I was one of them and Apple got me activated. We believe the issue is Comcast or my Moto modem since we plugged the ATV right into the modem and still could not activate.

Solution: Shutdown wifi network, create a HotSpot with your phone. Activated in seconds. After that worked fine on the network, both wifi and Ethernet.

Returning it without calling Apple is something I don't understand.

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
OP joined, dropped this thread, then disappeared. On other forums I belong to, this is known as a seagull post.

Reactions: imanidiot

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
Just returned my ATV4!
Completely unable to set up. This is just not acceptable for any Apple product.
Would not connect to device via bluetooth for set up and on manual failed every time on date and time.
This happened on both wifi and ethernet.
So not fit for purpose suggest no one buys it until it does work.
Hello Jeff Bezos. Nice to see you on the forums.

Drakenvlucht

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2015
Florida
Don't listen to any one person's rant... especially when his is obviously broken and we've seen 100 threads of it working for other people, with thousands of comments of using apps, watching shows, etc. Whitie54 just needs to use the return policy to get a working unit. Such a post on a forum not even managed by Apple can't do a thing for him... other than getting him pounded by 100 members of the ADF who would defend it even if their own :apple:TV wasn't working, along with a 1000 other people who are having no such problem.

Fine, on the other hand he has a point that the product has its flaws. To be honest I am experience the same issues including a nice Chinese menu to walk through. Compared to all other Apple products I bought so far (approx. 20) this is by far the worst experience. On the other hand, your remarks on the response he can expect is so true.... :)

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
32gb wired and wouldn't complete the set up.
64gb wireless set up was successful
64gb wired set up unsuccessful, disconnected from the lan and wireless set up was successful

Agent2015

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2015
Sonoran Desert
I am not getting any newer Apple TV untill they made just TV with iOS.

All new 4K TVs (and not Samsung only) comes with Android now. And this is the real reason why it is crazy to buy Apple TV.
Good luck with that bulletproof Android security! There seems to be a new major vulnerability exposed everyday. Having used the new Apple TV 4 for almost a week (having had several Apple TV 3s that are still in service and several of those other thingies that are now safely in a drawer) I am absolutely thrilled with it! So unless you've actually tried one don't even begin with comparisons and blanket statements of not buying one. My new Samsung's "smart" TV's onboard OS is a disaster and not even a consideration in my home theater setup. In fact I had to make sure that I was able to disable the creepy eavesdropping feature...even so I not fully confident it's not relaying heaven knows what back to the Samsung mothership. I do believe the Apple TV 4 is going to be a runaway success!

Agent2015

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2015
Sonoran Desert
Absolutely no problem with my setup of a new Apple TV 4 via an iPhone 6 running iOS 9.1. Slick!

Agent2015

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2015
Sonoran Desert
Fine, on the other hand he has a point that the product has its flaws. To be honest I am experience the same issues including a nice Chinese menu to walk through. Compared to all other Apple products I bought so far (approx. 20) this is by far the worst experience. On the other hand, your remarks on the response he can expect is so true.... :)
I too have owned many many Apple products including the full line of Apple TVs. My new Apple TV 4 is by far the easiest and smoothest setup of them all. The new app store with the Plex app in particular, is only one of the many advancements and I suspect with the ongoing maturity of tvOS, we can expect many more improvements around the corner.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5

What? I responded to the original post. That guy's :apple:TV4 is broken. He needs to return it and get another, not advise all consumers everywhere to not buy one because they don't work. Based on countless other posts about :apple:TV4 just in this forum, I'm pretty sure it does work for hundreds or thousands. OP just got a dud unit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.