Don't have applecare? This will convince you.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shamash, Feb 28, 2011.

1. shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

I absolutely ADORE Apple right now.

I have a late 2008 Macbook Pro that has had a bunch of issues recently. I've sent it in 2ce this month for a flickering on the display that won't go away, and they replaced the logic board I think? twice.

I called in again, since it is STILL going on (really freaking annoying) and was getting kind of annoyed with applecare, until he told me that he was going to replace it with the new MBP that came out last week.

I'm completely blown away and in shock. Applecare is the best investment you can ever buy. He's even having them refund the unused portion of my Applecare (a little bit less than a year left on it) to me. They're refunding me some money and giving me a new computer.

Applecare is 100% absolutely worth it. Apple is 100% absolutely worth it. Best company ever. End of story :p

2. Jhingha macrumors regular

Jhingha

3. ddoolin0 macrumors regular

Hrm? If that's meant to be taken how I think...why?

Anyway, I didn't order AppleCare with mine because of the $, but I will consider it within my year I have free. The student discount puts it at a nicer price point.

4. shamash thread starter macrumors 6502a

shamash

I don't get it either haha. If he thinks Apple is hiring people to post on forums saying how great Applecare is he's crazy.

They know the fanboys like me will do it for free ;)

I didn't order Applecare until actually a day after mine expired. I called up to order it, on Jan 6th 2010 when I ordered Jan 6th 2009. Its not 1 year its 365 days though, so mine had been expired for a day because of the leap year or something? I'm not sure. THANKFULLY the Senior Advisor I talked to put AppleCare on it anyways... I would have been in a world of pain instead of a world of joy right now.

Who cares about buying it right away, just make sure to get it before the 1 year is up.

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

lol noob.

People post success stories like this atleast 20x 50x a week.

6. sbb155 macrumors 6502

Applecare is a high margin item for apple
    Sure people post here all the time that it helps - but that implies by its very nature that apple makes UNRELIABLE products
    I know, from a manager, that applecare is one of their high margin items - never used.
    Congrats, glad it paid off for you, it doesnt for a lot of people (but it does buy peace of mind like a lot of warrantees)

7. shamash thread starter macrumors 6502a

shamash

I have actually had 3 macbook products (black macbook, 2008late mbp, the new ultimate 13" mba) and I used Applecare on all of them, except the new MBA since I just recently got it. Most people might just not care when their computers have issues, but I have had so many issues replaced, I can't ever imagine not getting Applecare

8. shamash thread starter macrumors 6502a

shamash

Didn't wanna make a thread for this so I'll post it here.

I also just recently bought a new MBA 13" ultimate, and I don't think I can afford to have 2 mac computers, but this new MBP is such an upgrade I think I'm gonna keep it and sell my MBA.

Will I notice a big difference not having an SSD? I can't really justify spending $1000 to upgrade the SSD, or $500 to upgrade to an SSD with half the memory. If someone can justify it for me, please do.

9. xxjudgmentxx macrumors member

In case anyone is wondering as well, replacement of a logic board on a 2007 MBP is $1200 (parts alone) or $900 (parts alone, provided you allow the service place to return your broken board to Apple).

So basically, while most parts are easily serviced/upgraded/repaired by the end user, a failed logic board and no Apple Care means you're buying yourself a new laptop.

PS: Cost is extra stupid because the CPU is directly soldered to the logic board, just FYI for those who were wondering.

10. trip1ex macrumors 68000

11. Awjvail macrumors 6502

Question:

When Apple gives you a whole new replacement Mac, does it come with the standard 1 year warranty as well? Can you purchase another 3 years Applecare on the replacement?

12. ddoolin0 macrumors regular

It makes sense if it does. The standard warranty is by machine, not customer (someone correct me if I'm wrong). If the machine is new, so is the warranty.

13. shamash thread starter macrumors 6502a

shamash

It comes with the standard 90 days of phone support and 1 year hardware support, you can buy new applecare with it. They are refunding my left over applecare and said that can go toward new applecare for my new machine :)

14. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

Yep, they send you a brand new, retail boxed macbook pro. It comes with a 1 year warrenty, and you can still buy applecare if you want it

15. Awjvail macrumors 6502

I was just asking because I know with iPhone, when they give you a replacment, you don't get a new warranty - you only get the remainder of the warranty that was on your original iPhone.

Although iPhone replacements are different, anyways... so...

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Also iPhone replacements are refurbished units; Mac replacements are new units (you get a retail box and everything).

17. gameface macrumors 6502

Same with ipod. Refurbished whitebox replacement and the warranty is only good as long as your original one was. I helped my niece get her ipod replaced (she lives too far from an Apple store and I live down the street) and when they gave me the new one, I asked this question and was surprised to know it effectively had a 15 day warranty left. Hope this one doesn't brak on her, haha :)

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not true.
    Not true.
    Not true.
    No.
    From the Apple Limited Warranty
    From AppleCare Protection Plan:

19. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

That is about replacement parts. People come to this forum all of the time and say that these replacements have new warranties and that you can buy AppleCare for them.

20. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, it's about replacement products or parts.
    You do not get a new warranty when you get a replacement notebook.

21. TonyDucks macrumors newbie

Dropped Notebook

While waiting in line one time, a rep watched my laptop slide underneath my hand breaking the screen and denting the body. They still took it in and did full level 4 body and LCD replacement. Crazy cool support. If you plan to keep your macbook for awhile i would definitely get it.

22. kettlecorn macrumors 6502

Its not just applecare, its every warranty for all manufacturers. That is how they make their money because it's a good chunk of money that isn't ever cashed in. In this case it was but for most products, cars, computers, what have you.. extended warranties are where they make the most money. Like you said high margin. But not just for apple. And doesn't necessarily equate to unreliable products. Every manufacturer has extended warranties.

In this particular case, apple has 1-upped standard extended warranty care by replacing the entire computer for free and refunding the prorated amount of the left over Applecare.

23. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Why do you think that Apple refunded the remaining balance on his old mac's AppleCare. It's clear that the old contract is being terminated, and that this is a new computer where warranty can be purchased.

24. trip1ex macrumors 68000

Are you saying no one at Apple has any discretion in dealing with consumers and their computer problems?