Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

If you buy a shiny new Vision Pro, be extra careful not to lose it. Unlike the iPhone and many other Apple devices, the headset lacks Find My location tracking.

Apple-Vision-Pro-Travel-Mode.jpg

In a new support document, Apple has confirmed that a Vision Pro's location cannot be viewed in the Find My app on another Apple device, or on iCloud.com. Of the Find My family of features, the Vision Pro only supports Activation Lock, which ensures that a thief cannot erase or freshly set up the headset unless they know the owner's Apple ID and password.

"When you turn on Find My, you protect your Vision Pro with Activation Lock — but you can't use another Apple device or the web to find Vision Pro on a map, play a sound to help find it, turn on Lost Mode, or remotely erase it," says Apple.

While it's nice to know that a thief cannot easily erase your Vision Pro and set it up with their own Apple ID, the inability to track its location in the Find My app is a noteworthy omission for a headset that starts at $3,499. It ultimately means that if you lose your Vision Pro, you could be simply out of luck beyond filing a police report. Unlike for the iPhone, there is no AppleCare+ theft and loss plan available for the Vision Pro at this time.

While many people will primarily use the Vision Pro at home as an entertainment device, which will greatly reduce the risk of the headset being stolen, Apple does promote using the Vision Pro on an airplane and other settings away from home. The headset could be especially attractive to thieves given how expensive it is.

It's unclear why the Vision Pro does not support Find My location tracking, but the headset lacking a built-in battery and GPS could be contributing factors.

Use an AirTag

vision-pro-case-feature.jpg

One option for tracking the location of your Vision Pro is to purchase Apple's travel case and place an AirTag in it, and it is likely that accessory makers will come up with solutions for attaching an AirTag directly to the headset.

Vision Pro owners can also ensure that Activation Lock is turned on by opening the Settings app, selecting Find My, and selecting Find My Vision Pro.

Article Link: Don't Lose Your $3,500 Apple Vision Pro, You Can't Track Its Location

Last edited:

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
That’s not really surprising considering the headset itself literally has not an ounce of power on its own. The thief could just unplug the battery and it’s „dead“
If it had Find My, that would lock the device from another iCloud account.

I don't know. Maybe it does have iCloud locking...

Will Co

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2021
United Kingdom
I see all these promo shots of the AVP being used in a plane. I wonder if there going to be any airlines objecting to its use. Obviously it won't be permitted during take off and landing, like most other devices and for good reason, but there was a time when laptops over a certain size were not permitted in the cabin. That was of course a battery issue, and the pack on the AVP isn't large enough to be a concern. Nevertheless....

woolypants

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2018
Did somebody mention this is first-gen hardware? :D

Honestly I think the only reason to buy one of these is to keep it unopened and then sell it in 20 years for a load of money. At that point people will be viewing the eBay auction through their AR spectacles.

iLuddite

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2023
I see all these promo shots of the AVP being used in a plane. I wonder if there going to be any airlines objecting to its use. Obviously it won't be permitted during take off and landing, like most other devices and for good reason, but there was a time when laptops over a certain size were not permitted in the cabin. That was of course a battery issue, and the pack on the AVP isn't large enough to be a concern. Nevertheless....
It (and some noise-cancelling AirPods) should really come in handy in the event of a crash, that’s for sure :)

Reactions: Fuzzball84

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
Imagine the injuries you could sustain while wearing one in the event of a situation on the aircraft… especially if you had AirPods in and in noise cancelling mode.…. Everyone else is in brace position but youre in your own world.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.