Doodle Jump Makes the Leap to iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by MacRumors, Sep 1, 2011.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Doodle Jump, one of the best selling games ever on the iPhone, is finally making the leap to the iPad. The Pusenjak brothers have sold more than 10 million copies of Doodle Jump for iPhone, and hope to sell just as many copies on the iPad. The iPad version will be slightly more expensive, as is typical for iPhone to iPad transitions, selling for $2.99.

All the graphics have been redone specifically for the iPad, but All Things Digital's Peter Kafka noted there weren't any big changes made to the game and he didn't notice any big differences between the iPhone and iPad versions. "Still plenty of fun, though."

[​IMG]

Doodle Jump for iPad costs $2.99 on the App Store [iTunes], and $0.99 for the iPhone [iTunes].

Article Link: Doodle Jump Makes the Leap to iPad

2. RossMc, Sep 1, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2011

RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

3. Slix macrumors 6502a

Slix

4. 7o7munoz7o7 macrumors regular

7o7munoz7o7

One of the best selling....and i never heard of it! hmmm

5. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Doodle Jump was Angry Birds before Angry Birds

6. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

I'm not paying for the same thing twice
    Retinapad it is.

7. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

Been playing it for years on my iPad. !! looks ok x2!

8. DJHonda84 macrumors member

9. pixelshaders macrumors member

10. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Must be nice living under a rock? Jk :) Doodle Jump is addictive and awesome. I remember it being top of the charts all the time

11. Corban987 macrumors member

I hate having to pay for an app twice or three times.
    Once for mac, once for ipad and once for phone. Apple needs to set some rules about this, if you pay the highest price app (mac store most likely) you should get the others free on the mobile devices or if you buy the ipad version at the high price it should have the iphone/ipod version built in. The iphone version should be the cheapest wi9th an upgrade to pay the difference to go to ipad.

This is a great app, but I will not pay for it on the iPad.

12. YeahBuddy macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Finally Apple can include this in their iPad ads! :D

13. arashamedani macrumors member

14. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I never seem to have enough time to spend more than 30 minutes or so, with a game. So I really like Doodle Jump, and Angry Birds. They're perfect for short sessions.

15. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

No, because they want those who bought it a year or two ago for the iPhone when it came out to fork out again. (out of nolstalgia or what ever.)

My 6 year old plays the iPhone version on my iPad at 2x zoom, and it does the job just fine. (I think his high score is >120,000, not bad for a 6 y.o)

16. ironsword macrumors newbie

I've always wanted Apple/Developers to do this. It was only yesterday that I was looking at Contre Jour on the app store. There's a HD version which also happens to be a universal app for $2.99 and an iphone version for $0.99. I don't have an iPad, so if I was going to buy it I'd buy the $0.99 version, but if later on I bought an iPad I would have to buy the $2.99 version rendering the $0.99 version useless. It'd be good if Apple/Developers were able to refund the cheaper version once the more expensive universal app is purchased. (or alternatively provide an upgrade option to a universal Ipad version as you suggested, which would be better as no refunds would need to be issued).

I can already envision the message that pops up when I attempt to purchase the iPad version of an app I've already purchased for the iPhone: "You've already purchased this app for the iPhone. Would you like to upgrade to the iPad version for $x.xx?" lol

17. allmanbrother macrumors member

I've been playing it 2X for quite some time. Now they want $2.99 for the same thing slightly bigger? The whole idea of these "HD" apps is a pretty low move from developers. As a web developer, I wouldn't charge more if a client wanted me to resize some elements on his page. Most of the time it's simply changing dimensions, worst case you may have to remake a graphic which takes all of ten minutes. I'd rather have satisfied, loyal clients than make a quick buck.

18. batchtaster macrumors 65816

Tried the demo. Never got the appeal, wasn't "insanely addict[ed]". Deleted.

19. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i thought i was over doodle jump, but i found myself getting addicted all over again this summer. happy to see an ipad version. :)

20. B J M macrumors member

B J M

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

This. Like blu ray DVD combo packs that include blu ray disc, DVD disk, and a avi file for the computer. If it's for one user then there should be one price unless there are differences, even minor, between the games, which their isn't.

21. bushido Suspended

bushido

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

how do u play it with a "surfboard" in ur hands tho?

22. Mochi Hana macrumors 6502a

Mochi Hana

Agreed. Too many games make you pay twice if you don't want to play the iPhone version blown up to 2x. :mad:

23. Fotek2001 macrumors regular

So you can afford an iPad but not $2.99 for an iPad version of the game? :rolleyes:

----------

Why does this make you mad? Why do you feel you should get the iPad version for free if you have the iPhone version?

I can't believe the number of people who moan about the pricing of apps that only cost a couple of dollars when they run on devices that cost literally hundreds of dollars. Get a sense of perspective and drop the misplaced sense of entitlement that app developers owe you some kind of free ride...

24. lars666 macrumors 6502a

Already paid for "Call Of Duty" on my Xbox. No way I will pay again for the PS3 version. Rip-Off!!!

25. asrai macrumors member

I hear you -- quite the opposite actually and in all honesty found it 'insanely' boring. With all of the hype, I tried it for while thinking I must be missing the appeal. Nope, can't stand it...just not for me I guess.