Doubts and Speculation Surround Apple's Onstage Face ID 'Fail' During iPhone X Keynote [Updated]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 13, 2017.

1. AJ5790 macrumors regular

You lucky dog!!! You’ve had a review unit for days. How did you get your hands on one?!?! /s

2. Jaybrwn macrumors newbie

Jaybrwn

No panic they got a good Month to iron out the kinks. *Positive Thinking

3. anticipate macrumors regular

Either a few misreads or rebooted phone. Just like Touch ID.

4. AJ5790 macrumors regular

And he did it 5 times after that and it worked perfectly. Likely a fluke.

5. morcutt11 macrumors 6502

morcutt11

Wait - what? Better than what? Face ID? Have you tried Face ID? How would you know? Where did you get sufficient information about Face ID to draw an educated conclusion?

6. tomaustin44 macrumors regular

This looked bad and certainly shouldn't have happened but I don't think it was a failure of FaceID. As previously mentioned, I am most worried however that FaceID does look very slow in comparison to TouchID. Most of the demo area videos and Craig's demo appeared to require the user to really lift the phone in front of the face to activate the unlock. Add the time required to swipe up once unlocked and I think we're talking considerably slower than TouchID.

I'm sure it'll be something that we quickly get used though.

7. StarDal macrumors newbie

There's been plenty of times that Touch ID hasn't worked the first time (and I use it 100s of times a day) due to a variety of reasons. I would think similar variances would apply to Face ID. I'm not seeing anything different.

8. chachawpi macrumors member

The stock also fell pretty sharply after the iPhone X announcement.

9. imran5720 macrumors regular

imran5720

They should not have removed Touch ID, Look how slow face id was to unlock the phone even when it finally worked

10. WBRacing, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

WBRacing macrumors 6502a

WBRacing

The text there can relatively easily be read:

"Your passcode is required to enable Face ID"

Certainly a fresh reboot / security timeout issue then.

One of my many concerns is how directly I need to be looking at it in order for it to unlock. My 6S lays down on the desk most of the working day. If I needed to pick it up or lean across in order to get it to unlock then that would make for an awful user experience for me.

11. snowboarder macrumors 6502

they needed a distraction from the horrible black notch on one side of the "amazing" screen
    and this distraction failed... What else is new in in the "new" system?
    Apple watch got the heart attack warning, that's new. We will be using it all the time it seems...

12. ozthegweat macrumors regular

Yes it was not the same message you get on today's iPhones when you restart them, because it wasn't the reason it required a passcode. It required one because you have to enter the passcode from time to time even when not restarting it, just like with every other Touch ID device.

13. M.PaulCezanne macrumors 6502

M.PaulCezanne

14. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Definitely not. The language is entirely different when it needs your password after reboot. 'Touch ID requires your passcode when iPhone restarts."

Try it yourself.

15. cardfan macrumors 65816

Just a hiccup. I think was more amazed at the lengths they've went to get around the lack of touch ID. Instead of a low cost proven touch ID button, let's pour money into this face ID. Cook said more than once, this is the future..the next 10 years of iphone so I don't think they are simply going to find a way to put a home button in next year. That's a step backwards.

Can this get better or improved? Sure it can as well as improving that notch. Just like the first touch ID was slow. But they've incorporated this face ID into apple pay and everything else now. This is their way forward. And you have to admit, there are some cool things it enables although animated emojis isn't high up on my list.

You know next year will have a bigger iphone X perhaps with pencil.

16. Smartass macrumors 6502a

Even when it worked, it was slow, cumbersome and awkward.

17. Cinetagonist, Sep 13, 2017

Cinetagonist macrumors newbie

Cinetagonist

Looks like they changed it to 8 hours. But I recall they wanted to set the time frame to 5 hours. I guess, it was just an intention and the didn't. Any way, right now the Touch ID (and Face ID, I presume) tokens are valid for 48 hours if you didn't unlock the phone in that period, or 8 hours if passcode unlock wasn’t used during the last 6 days. Just google it
    P.S.: there's still no update for Face ID, so there might be some changes that could explain what happen. In any case, the security tokens are valid only for some time under some conditions and I wonder why author didn't mention that fact.

18. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Still a $999.99 for a phone that is in it's 1st generation? Will they continue this going forward or is this just an aniversary special ?

I'll stick with my 6 plus.

19. leman macrumors 604

I also think that this I the most likely explanation.

20. HardRain macrumors regular

I'm sure face id will work fine, but that was one major embarrassing moment!

21. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68000

I have seen some YouTube early reviews after the event. Where they try to get the person to unlock the phone with their face. Only to have to swipe up on the phone after a while since it wasn’t working. And the reviewer will say something like well that is how it was “supposed” to work and move on. Or it takes quite a few attempts in the demo to make it work.

22. meaning-matters, Sep 13, 2017

meaning-matters macrumors 6502

meaning-matters

As software designer: Seems minor issue.
    Understand the attention, but no need to worry.

Update: With MR's update referring to iOS documentation, I'm retracting above claim.

23. golten macrumors newbie

"multiple neural networks built into the iPhone X's dual-core A11 bionic neural engine" I doubt this is true as it would require virtualizing a hierarchy of processors

24. nortonandreev macrumors 6502

nortonandreev

I'm sure that Face ID will work fine. The reasons why Face ID failed during the presentation can be many. I laughed at it, too, but I realise that this can happen, especially with a technology that new. People were afraid of how Touch ID will work. Eventually, everyone loves it and wants it back. I'm sure that Apple is putting all efforts to make the usage of the new Face ID as effortlessly as possible. What's more, by the time iPhone X will be released, iOS 11.1 should be due to be released, too. And I'm sure that it'll bring improvements to the Face ID. Just give it some time. We'll all get used to it.

25. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

That was bad, but the real embarrassment was wasting so much Keynote time on cringeworthy emojis.