Doubts and Speculation Surround Apple's Onstage Face ID 'Fail' During iPhone X Keynote [Updated]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 13, 2017.

1. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

This happens to me all the time. My iPhone asked for my passcode when I don't use it for a certain period of time.

TouchID is flawless for me so I never use a passcode until I get a prompt

2. sunny2k1 macrumors regular

The interesting thing regarding FaceID is for me the authorisation for ApplePay. The banks have to approve this method. If it fails like in the keynote or you are able to unlock your device with a biometric picture (e.g. for passports), the banks will go crazy.

This has to work at least on a level that TouchID is currently working.

3. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Posted this in another thread.

1. The iPhone X says "Swipe up to unlock" above the gesture bar on the bottom of the screen.
    2. Craig tries to unlock the iPhone X with a swipe up gesture and gets a bounce animation which means you can scroll no further in iPhones.
    3. Immediately he gets prompted with "Your passcode is required to enable Face ID"

If the biometric failed it would have said "try again" and the lock would have jittered from left to right indicating the biometric unlock was not recognized. The same lock jitter from left to right is present when passcode failure takes place.

The phone just needed Face ID enabled with a passcode. Face ID did not fail.

4. mcclorryevan macrumors newbie

mcclorryevan

I agree with you on this, but I am 99% sure its 24 hours.. I use my iPhone EVERYDAY, so I never hit that mark, but on my iPad, sometimes I go a day or two without touching it, and the message actually says "after 24 hours of inactivity your passcode is required to unlock the device/Touch ID" kinda thing.

5. wikiverse, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

wikiverse macrumors 6502a

IF that is the case, then Face ID is point. You wont be able to carry your phone on public transport, for example, without it trying to unlock with everyone's faces - only to lock you out and force you back onto a passcode. You may as just use a passcode all the time. Touch ID works.

6. nviz22 macrumors 68040

nviz22

7. ozthegweat macrumors regular

Proof: compare this screenshot of a Touch ID device from this Macrumors article with the screen from yesterday's keynote: exactly the same message (expect for "Touch ID" instead of "Face ID"):

[​IMG]

8. ghostface147 macrumors 68020

ghostface147

I still wonder if they will integrate touchID next year if they get the tech down.

9. Smartass macrumors 6502a

I think that impersonation of animal voices was the lowest point for Apple. Like some god damn Disney show and not a presentation for number one product from the world's most valuable company.

[​IMG]

10. votdfak macrumors regular

Ok, let's quote Apple on this, it's not Face ID, it's Touch ID, but it'll do.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204587

To start using Touch ID, you must first set up a passcode on your iPhone or iPad (or a password on your Mac). You must enter your passcode or password for additional security validation:

• after you restart your iPhone, iPad, or Mac;
    • when more than 48 hours have passed from the last time you unlocked your device;
    • to add or delete a fingerprint to use with Touch ID;
    • to change the iPhone or iPad passcode or Mac system password, and for other security settings like FileVault on your Mac;
    • when there have been more than five unrecognized Touch ID authorization attempts in a row; and
    • after you log out of your Mac.

When you restart your iPhone you're greeted with the following message: "Touch ID requires your passcode when iPhone restarts"

When you don't use your iPhone over 48h you get the following message: "Touch ID requires your passcode after 48 hours"

When you fail to authenticate with your Touch ID and in this case with your Face ID multiple times the message is: "Your passcode is required to enable Touch ID" - This one is the winner

11. joesixgig macrumors regular

joesixgig

Most concerning to me is the way he wiped his cheeks after the Face ID fail, almost as if being a little too 'shiny' could be a problem. I guess we'll all find out in about seven weeks.

12. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Nah, I think that was just a bit of anxiety perspiration.
    Personally I'd have been sweating buckets. :)

13. Iconoclysm macrumors 68000

Iconoclysm

It's ok to feel this way but don't you think it should actually be in the wild and maybe even try it before making that statement?

14. bsamcash macrumors regular

All I'll say is I don't think it's any coincidence that they're waiting until after Halloween to release it.

15. archvile macrumors regular

archvile

This is why I'm going to give Face ID a few generations to get better, as you know they are going to tout improvements to it almost year over year as they slowly phase Touch ID devices out.

I bet the iPhone 9 next year is the last "NEW" iPhone with Touch ID, then they will keep the 7, 8, 9 around a few years while slowly killing them off in favor of the new Face ID models. I bet by 2022, 2024 at the latest, all they make is Face ID phones. Which is fine, but the tech has room to grow. So I'll be getting an 8+ next Friday, will be a nice jump from the SE size.

16. legacyb4 macrumors 6502

48 hours, actually.

17. Pbrutto macrumors 6502a

Pbrutto

Am I delusional? He used it several times after that and it worked perfectly

18. KeithJenner macrumors 6502a

I regularly have to type the in the passcode in the morning. Not every day, but fairly regularly.

I couldn't have said exactly what circumstances it happens in, but would believe what is stated a few posts after yours (after a set number of hours if the passcode hasn't been entered for a few days).

That could possibly explain what happened onstage, if the demo phone hadn't been used for a while.

19. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

[​IMG]

20. stanleyRoper macrumors member

"You must enter your passcode or password for additional security validation: ...

• when more than 48 hours have passed from the last time you unlocked your device;"

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204587

48 hours, not 5.

21. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

Worst part of any keynote for me is when they talk about gaming

22. djcerla macrumors 65816

djcerla

TouchID indeed deactivates when I sleep just a little more than usual, and I have to enter the passcode.

23. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

24. Naaaaak macrumors 6502

Came here to say this. He handled it pretty well, all things considered.

25. Cinetagonist macrumors newbie

Cinetagonist