Doubts and Speculation Surround Apple's Onstage Face ID 'Fail' During iPhone X Keynote [Updated]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

You really think after taking it out and saying face detection is better Apple is going to add it back? Sorry unless Face ID is a complete failure, Touch ID is gone for good.

2. vertical smile macrumors 68000

vertical smile

I think this is believable.

If you would believe the rumors, Apple wanted both Face ID and Touch ID on the iPhone X, but Apple could not successfully put the Touch ID under the glass.

Apple only went with Face ID because they had to. If Face ID was as good as they claim it is, why have the inferior Touch ID on the phone also?

Of course, this is all based on the rumor being true.

3. adamr7 macrumors newbie

I think the whole Face ID is a significant risk for Apple to take. They should have rolled it out to Macbooks first, imo.

Touch ID works great. It is likely one of the most used feature of the iPhone. It is also important for Apple Pay adoption. Taking that away for a newer and unproven technology is a huge risk that Apple didn't have to take.

4. neuropsychguy macrumors 6502a

neuropsychguy

That's normal and happens more often than not after a Keynote.

5. gnipgnop macrumors 6502

Touch ID has never really been a fool-proof way to unlock an iOS device either. If your skin tends to dry out more easily, then you end up entering the passcode fairly often. That happened to me so much with the 5S and 12.9" iPad Pro that I stopped using Touch ID.

6. TomCat512 macrumors newbie

TomCat512

How can macrumors promote these theories?
    If it has rebooted it would immediately ask doe the passcode and not after 2 trials!
    The theory of a second face setup is equally laughable. It assumes that Apple was unprepared for this big demo. No way.

It just failed. Admit it. This article is only adding fuel to the die hard fans.

7. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

The one who forgot to add the Passcode is probably the same one who leaked everything and this was his ultimate revenge on Apple before resigning (or killing himself) :p

8. Iconoclysm macrumors 68000

Iconoclysm

Even if this were a failed attempt, one thing we learned is that the phone will get better at recognizing you. Perhaps stage makeup and bright lights were taxing on the phone...and that's if the problem wasn't something out of our purview.

9. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

10. Return Zero macrumors 6502

Return Zero

The first phone clearly never even made an attempt to authenticate using Face ID. After giving it a couple glances, he then tries to go ahead and swipe up, which prompts the passcode screen/message. Presentation fail, but not a technology fail.

11. votdfak macrumors regular

I am on iOS11, and no, I don't have to enter my passcode every morning.

12. GoodWheaties macrumors 6502

GoodWheaties

That "1 in 50000" number seems pretty bad for how secure they were telling us TouchID was. That means in the US alone there would be over 6000 people who could unlock my phone. That just seems preposterous as I haven't heard of a single story where someone was able to unlock someone else's iPhone. Are they trying to pump up FaceID?

13. TomCat512 macrumors newbie

TomCat512

Why didn't it require the passcode on the second attempt and not the first?

14. Greenmeenie macrumors regular

Greenmeenie

The backup iphone seemed to open just fine with facial ID. So i'm thinking it was just that the first one wasnt set up right causing it to ask for the passcode. Bet it turns out to be no big deal. But the iphone X won't be released until Nov 3rd, so i'm sure there'll be plenty of speculation until then.

15. horsebattery, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

horsebattery macrumors 6502

[Edit] Cinetagonist above posted about this as well

Regarding the hours, according to the security guide, there's a recent condition (as of iOS 9 I think?):

16. Eazy502E macrumors newbie

Eazy502E

They need to locate TouchID on the back, similar to the Google Nexus and Pixel units.

17. Mr Fusion macrumors 6502a

Mr Fusion

Yes. It failed. Avoid the iPhone X at all costs until I get my pre-orders in.

18. votdfak macrumors regular

I don't like the fact that you must swipe up after you authenticate with Face ID. Just give me my home screen...

19. Antoni Nygaard macrumors 6502a

Antoni Nygaard

Well it looks like he’s actually switching device and it worked instantly and he also says he got a backup.

20. Smartass macrumors 6502a

They probably just made those numbers up so they could justidy why suddenly touchID "isnt safe" anymore. Like all those "letters to Tim Cook" how some people's lives were saved by Apple and all that bullcrap.

21. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Came in to say the same thing. Never had to reactivate Touch ID in the morning.

22. Boatboy24 macrumors 6502a

I didn't know about that. But I have a hard time believing that they didn't do a 'final check' on that prior to the presentation. I guess it could've been 5 hours earlier, but that would put it around 6am.

23. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

RUSSIANS!

24. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

For all we know. The first device could've been linked to someone else's face or something else we'll never know the answer to.

I'm not sold on face id but I don't have info to dismiss it yet either.

25. simply258 macrumors regular

I can't believe there are theories! It clearly says on the screen "Your passcode is required to enable Face ID" as we also see with current iPhone, except it's Touch ID rather than Face ID. Either it was just turned on, or someone else tried to unlock it many times, as would happen if someone else whose fingerprint isn't registered tried to use Touch ID.