Downgraded from 5S to 5C - Couldn't be happier

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by burnout8488, Dec 20, 2013.

1. burnout8488, Dec 20, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2013

burnout8488 macrumors 6502a

Got my 5S at launch a few months ago. Liked that it was fully loaded, had every feature possible, and would hold me over for another two years. I had seen and touched the 5C and loved how it felt in my hand, but kept telling myself it was old-tech and not worth it.

I always felt that my 5S was just too light and fragile. It was such a thing of beauty that I couldn't use my phone like I wanted out in the wild.

TouchID was awesome the first day, until I realized that I needed to scan my finger EVERY single time I wanted to unlock the screen. Totally killed it for me, and it slowed down the process of using my phone so much I turned it off and was much happier. (I use passcode lock, with a 15 minute non-use timer so I don't have to enter it constantly. TouchID needs this.) Also, my mechanic's thumbs have a constantly changing fingerprint due to dry skin, turning bolts, cuts, grease, that TouchID rarely worked for me day after day. One day's thumb would work great, until I worked on a car. After that job, the thumb would no longer scan.

I've had my new 5C for a few days now, and I can say that I'm genuinely happier. Using NO case at all, it's just plain comfortable to hold and talk on the phone with. The 5S would hurt my ear.

With the Apple 5C case installed, it's even better than I expected. Feels so solid, and I can throw it in my toolbox and not worry about it.

Will I ever notice the drop in processor generation? No, I highly doubt it. I doubt anyone would unless comparing side by side, or until iOS8/9 comes out. I'll never notice the camera quality either. I'm glad that the front facing camera in the C is the same as the 5S though. That's an area that always needs improvement year after year.

Moral: Should have gotten the 5C to begin with and trusted my gut instinct. I'm usually one to buy the top of the line products, but at this point there's just no need to anymore. The 5C does everything 90% of the population will ever need in an iPhone.

Now if it only came in black…..:(

2. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

3. three macrumors 6502a

three

I'm guessing in terms of specs, loss of TouchID, etc.

4. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

Well you got one thing right, it most certainly is a down grade.

5. corvus32 macrumors 6502a

Sounds like all you needed for your 5S was a case.

6. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

Well, one things for sure you couldn't stay away from one thread that had the word iphone 5c in it...you are a true definition of TROLL

7. I7guy macrumors G5

I was wondering that also.

OP glad you got a phone you liked, you just single-handedly validated apples' strategy.

8. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

Some people only need cube steak instead of Filet mignon. OP is a cube steak type of guy. No shame in that.

9. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

Exactly, the question is how did he downgrade because the 5c is not infurior to the 5s in a cirtain perspective. They are both quality apple phones, they migt not have the same specs but he got a iPhone 5c because it had the right features that he would use from day to day. His preference was the durability of the 5c!!! So maybe he actuallt UPGRADED because the 5s didnt have everything he needed but the 5c did.

10. Idefix macrumors 6502

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

burnout8488 found the Apple of his eye--this is Apple's speciality, after all!

Congratulations!

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

5s or 5c, just go with what fits your needs. I don't know why 5c users feel the need to justify their purchase judging from the number of posts/threads on this.

12. I7guy macrumors G5

Using that logic one could see how an old 4wd jeep could be an upgrade from a new Porsche turbo carrera s, if the jeep is used more than the Porsche for whatever reason.

----------

Previously an iPhone was an iPhone. I'm thinking the diehards are in anguish about a budget iPhone. Like Rolex releasing a budget Rolex.

13. Kobayagi macrumors 6502a

Kobayagi

... There's this quote from the movie Fight Club, which fits here perfectly: ''the things you own, end up owning you''.

It's just a mass production phone, and in two years, you'll probably get a new one. It's okay to be careful with it, but people over exaggerate with this like they are using a museum piece.

14. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Perhaps from a naive perspective. We had no choice when they switched to plastic case on the 3G/3GS giving it a cheap plasticky feel (especially combined with the lighter weight), but the 5c isn't a budget iPhone given the price and its build quality is superior to the 3G/3GS.

15. RebornProphet Suspended

Probably because of the amount of elitist posts/threads that have appeared on various forums that look down upon and are condescending towards the 5c and owners.

16. I7guy macrumors G5

Well it's certainly a pay less get less device so I still call it a budget release. And there is nothing wrong with that, IMO Apple finally woke up and realized one size does not fit all.

17. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

I don't know why Apple missed the boat on offering the 5c in black? They'd sell more.

Enjoy your 5c. :D

18. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It's the same price as what the iPhone 5 would sell for if it wasn't discontinued and except for a slightly larger battery, the innards are the same. The plastic case can be a pro (as in the OP) or a con (as with most iPhone 5 users).

I think it's mostly aimed at cheap Android users who want the latest offering, as nearly half of 5c owners came from Androids (vs. 80% of 5s users who came from older iPhone models).

19. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I didn't understand this as well.

20. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Think of it as the black tax common to Apple (e.g., blackbook). $100 more gets you the 5s and yes, Space Gray is still considered a black iPhone (just as Silver is still considered a white iPhone).

21. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I enjoy these first hand experiences on iPhone use. I have yet to pick up a new iPhone- still using the iPhone 5, but would if the 5C came in black, or offered a white front.

It's a terrific phone and like the OP stated, offers what just about all of us desire in an iPhone.

The beef analogy stated above is weak.
    Both iPhones are filet mignon, the iPhone 5S is simply cooked medium rare.

22. Knockworstface macrumors regular

Knockworstface

I'd rather a Ribeye or a New York strip instead of filet mignon. I like cube steak too. Especially when it's fried. :D

23. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Hi,

I like both models.

As I was using the iPhone 5 my natural upgrade route was the iPhone 5s.

The only thing I don't like about the iPhone 5c is the original case that you can buy. When applied the iPhone name is broken up with the holes.

Bad design IMO.

24. I7guy macrumors G5

The innards are similar not sure if they are identical. Which clearly they aren't. Some components were probably updated

25. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I meant as in last year's technology, i.e., no faster/upgraded components other than the battery.