Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackburn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
Where Judas lost it's boots.
So today I've got sick of Lion (Golden Master).

I hated versions, resume and mission control. But when I went back to Snow Leopard I immediately noticed it's much faster than Lion. And it fells more like an advanced OS to me.

Anybody downgraded yet? Or is planning to? Or is just me?:p

parrishr13

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2011
I have been trying to revert back to SL, but I cannot. When I use the DVD, I get a message that says I must download OS X 23.1.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
So today I've got sick of Lion (Golden Master).

I hated versions, resume and mission control. But when I went back to Snow Leopard I immediately noticed it's much faster than Lion. And it fells more like an advanced OS to me.

Anybody downgraded yet? Or is planning to? Or is just me?:p

I agree. Mission Control really screwed up how I used Expose in Snow Leopard. Many will find it an upgrade and a welcome addition, me I just can't do it doing all these gestures. It's a shame too, there are many things that to like about Lion such the new Mail.app, Safari but those are things that are still good in Snow Leopard. There's also Lion using more RAM but that's easily fixed with adding more RAM.

blackburn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
I agree. Mission Control really screwed up how I used Expose in Snow Leopard. Many will find it an upgrade and a welcome addition, me I just can't do it doing all these gestures. It's a shame too, there are many things that to like about Lion such the new Mail.app, Safari but those are things that are still good in Snow Leopard. There's also Lion using more RAM but that's easily fixed with adding more RAM.

Yeah real high memory usage, the worst of all was to be unable to hide all the windows with the 4 finger swipe. Mail was nice indeed. Let's hope they give an option to disable those features. No more choppy animations for me:D

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
In terms of the well-rounded OS, I think Snow Leopard is it for me. Like with older users with Tiger, I think this is as far as I'm willing to go for upgrades. To me Snow Leopard was that good. Will I be purchasing Lion? Probably since it only costs 30 dollars (would be a different story if it was priced the same as Leopard) but it will only be on a second HDD for me to go to if I ever wanted to play around with it but for a go-to computer to do work on, 10.6 is it for me.

It's a shame too, for the most part, I can say that Apple has generally always improved the old with the new but I have never had Apple update something to affect me in a negative way where I don't want to even adjust to it because it's inefficient to me. When Snow Leopard was released, they changed things from Leopard but to me it made sense and I was willing to adjust for the better but not this time.

I really applaud Apple for tying to integrate iOS into Mac but personally it really has no place on a Mac because without it, it's a slightly updated Snow Leopard and I'm sure many others feel the same.

blackburn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
In terms of the well-rounded OS, I think Snow Leopard is it for me. Like with older users with Tiger, I think this is as far as I'm willing to go for upgrades. To me Snow Leopard was that good. Will I be purchasing Lion? Probably since it only costs 30 dollars (would be a different story if it was priced the same as Leopard) but it will only be on a second HDD for me to go to if I ever wanted to play around with it but for a go-to computer to do work on, 10.6 is it for me.

It's a shame too, for the most part, I can say that Apple has generally always improved the old with the new but I have never had Apple update something to affect me in a negative way where I don't want to even adjust to it because it's inefficient to me. When Snow Leopard was released, they changed things from Leopard but to me it made sense and I was willing to adjust for the better but not this time.

I really applaud Apple for tying to integrate iOS into Mac but personally it really has no place on a Mac because without it, it's a slightly updated Snow Leopard and I'm sure many others feel the same.

I must say that I completely agree, unfortunately.
I've started using mac os x since tiger when the hackintosh scene appeared, the leopard update was great, and the snow leopard too. Before I only had contact with the classic environment, but since I've liked so much mac os x, I've bought an macbook due to mac os x, nothing less nothing more. But lion for me is a big step backwards:(

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
Trust me; its not worth it.

If some one does have issues with Rosetta being gone, then he might have to think again, but Lion is a beast. Ah, well that's common sense; but its the best .0 release I have ever seen in the history of any kind of professional grade software.

Hats off!

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
This happens to every OS update. Remember when Leopard -> Snow Leopard and people were complaining about some problem with the OS.

Reality is it's going to be split 50/50, half will have no problems upgrading to Lion while the other half won't do it for whatever reason. With the threads you linked to, the problems with those users were stability and driver problems that Apple could fix with updates. Some of the problems/annoyances that people are having in this forum with Lion are dropping PowerPC support, poor RAM management, Mission Control/Expose.

With dropping PowerPC support, as a user, there's nothing you can do. Apple has moved on, you either stick to what you have or move on and purchase supported software/hardware.

RAM management, this is something Apple can improve on in the future with OS updates.

Mission Control/Expose. This is an added feature that Apple probably won't change, so to the user if you want to upgrade, you'll have to deal with it and learn to adapt to it and it's shortcomings.

I get your point though, there's always going to be a group of people who complain but with those complaints you posted, it's not stuff that Apple added it was just early drivers that can be addressed. From the people complaining, it's due to things that Apple has changed and added and depending the user, it might or might not be for the best which is why you're upgrading or staying with Snow Leopard.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
Yep, I switched back (or rather just gave up on using Lion on my other partition)

Makes me kind of sad because I was really looking forward to it :(

Mission Control is ok, but Apple really messed up the way I use gestures. BetterTouchTools can only get you so far in fixing what Apple broke :(

Also the versions feature was driving me crazy. For some situations I absolutely need control over when and whether or not I am saving something. And no unlocking, locking and duplicating do not make up for this (believe me I tried).

My only hope is that apple listens to feed back and provides some more options for Lion. Otherwise luckily my MBP is still going strong and SL is a great OS.

PS To any developers reading this I would happily pay money for an app that returned Snow leopard gesture functionality to Lion. I don't think I am alone in this. And don't forget the four finger swipe for application switcher. I'm missing that one even more than show desktop.

SinisterPower

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2011
Michigan
I got the developer preview and didn't like it that much. I didn't really notice a difference in speeds but I will probably upgrade to 10.7 when I read some reviews on it.

I also downgraded to Snow Leopard but it wasn't easy. I inserted the disc and it gave me a yellow triangle saying it cannot install. All I did was go to disk utility and drag the partition option sizer thing in the bottom right corner up and down and back to normal. And sure enough after i did that It let me install Snow Leopard. It didn't delete any of my files either! I was very happy. Like I said I plan on getting Lion but after a few reviews I will.

:apple::apple:

seong

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
Man, this happens EVERY FREAKING YEAR. No offense to anyone, but when new Apple Software/Hardware releases, people go crazy about criticizing it. Examples? (in addition to post#14)
New Macbook Pro unibody design. Many people complained the edges are too sharp and hated the glossy panel. Do we still complain and rage? I doubt all of us do.
New iPod Touch 4th generation. Still the same chrome backing and horrible camera. I think people got over it, and thought for themselves that there isn't a MP3 like the iPod Touch 4g.
iPhone 4? Antenna gate. I doubt people still rage about it. Get a case, and that's it.
I still remember when people were complaining that Leopard was not worth $299. Few months later, people liked it.

I tell you now, that by September when new iDevices will be released, there won't be any major complaint about Lion. Give Apple some time, for god's sake. I don't think anyone here expects 'perfect' OS, right? It's still 10.7.0.

Last edited:

Sh8per

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2011
France
Lion is not ready yet, it still takes too much memory. My 2011 Macbook is moreover so hotter, that I cannot put it on my knees .... I was about 78 / 80°C (176°F) all the time.

Now with snow leopard i'm reaching this kind of temperature working. I'm 59°C (138°F), and it's better. Additionally, I've noticed a better battery managing.

Clearly, Snow leopard is better, but like many said here it was the same before for Leopard and Snow Leopard. Wait a bit, let those guys feed the baby lion to let it grow one day, to a beautiful and strong big Lion !

hamis92

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2007
Finland
I'm not worrying about downgrading, I just upgraded my Early 2008 MacBook Pro with a large internal hard drive - I guess I'll add a second partition for Lion, play with it over there and see how I like it.

I did test DP1 and while there were obvious bugs, it did give me a pretty good idea of what the new OS will be like. Mission Control felt like a huge step backwards and may turn out to be a dealbreaker (other features are less "forced" on the user). I currently use the 10.5-style Exposé in Snow Leopard and it's great.

blackburn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
Almost all issues were driver issues or app incompatibility, I've experienced none of those problems with lion.
The only problem is that for me lion is counter productive, it is annoying, whatever steve says but I want to manage my file system without having to fight the os. Unfortunately the only feature that I like is the full disk encryption.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.