Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Touch Bar is:

• Good

Votes: 43 55.1%
  • Bad

Votes: 35 44.9%

• Total voters

terminator-jq

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
Based on a lot of the comments here, it seems like the hate for the touchbar isn’t necessary about the touchbar itself but rather the implementation. It’s a cool concept that is just underused.

Removing the Touchbar doesn’t really take us forward anymore than adding it did back in 2016. In my opinion, Apple needs to drastically improve the Touch Bar both in hardware and in software. The touchbar should show quick actions and toggles that are not as easily accessible on the main screen. They need to improve it in a way that actually brings clear advantages. Hopefully they can.

Bacci

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2012
It looks cool and the spelling correction can be useful.
On the other hand I find the extra step to display volume and brightness control can be annoying.

MBAs have the same fingerprint button as MBPs, it's not part of the touch bar and I think worth mentioning.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I rest my case ?

Look man, all I am saying is that you can’t take a complex marketing decision and say aha, it’s all because of the Touch Bar! A lot of changed in 2016 mac laptop lineup. If it would be just the stupid bar itself, I would totally agree with you. But the internal changes were massive, and the bar was only a small part of it. My understanding of the entire story is that Apple wanted to further differentiate their Pro line of laptops and they were struggling with the entry level because of Intels poor performance in that segment. Not to mention that Apples vision for the USB-C laptop was very ambitious. Four symmetric universal ports - other manufacturers are still not doing anything like that. The internal circuitry to achieve that must have been something else.

At any rate I’m happy to agree to disagree. We don’t have to argue about something as silly as the Touch Bar.

P.S. I still don’t believe that Apple is going to can it. Replace it by something even newer maybe. We‘ll see.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I've used it. Hate it.
How is touch bar a time saver? Honest question, I can be wrong. Maybe I'm just not seeing the 'big picture' :)
A big one for me is Xcode simulator shortcuts, no need to memorize all the shortcuts when they're buttons right in the Touch Bar. Also many other apps have function keys in there that help as well. It's super useful when editing video.

I use a ton of different apps, memorizing 20 million short cut keys for each one is unrealistic. Touch Bar solves that.

Reactions: Never mind

ipponrg

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Based on a lot of the comments here, it seems like the hate for the touchbar isn’t necessary about the touchbar itself but rather the implementation. It’s a cool concept that is just underused.

Removing the Touchbar doesn’t really take us forward anymore than adding it did back in 2016. In my opinion, Apple needs to drastically improve the Touch Bar both in hardware and in software. The touchbar should show quick actions and toggles that are not as easily accessible on the main screen. They need to improve it in a way that actually brings clear advantages. Hopefully they can.

The Touch Bar was a solution to a problem that doesnt exist or was extremely niched. Not many had really asked for it, and if they did, they installed BTT which in itself is amusing because it’s a “solution” to the stock Touch Bar

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I can understand why some users prefer actual function keys. In my younger days most of my working day would have been spent hitting F7, F10 and F11 and their various combinations with modifier keys. It's certainly easier to hit physical keys than digital ones on a touch screen.

Jdhommert

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2016
I like it. I only really use it for the volume and brightness sliders, and occasionally a smiley face.

The 100% best part of it is the Touch ID. People keep rejoicing about the Touch Bar leaving in the next gen MBP....which ok fine I can live without it, but dont take the damn Touch ID away. Doesnt sound like FaceID is ready for laptops or desktops per a report that dropped today on the main page. (Im not sure why? Maybe that kind of camera wont physically fit, but idk maybe make that part thicker idk)

I'm ok with it leaving as long as they keep a spot for Touch ID. I cant tell you how great it is when I go to all the sites that dont keep me logged in for one reason or another, or a new site I just signed up for on my phone that I just touch one spot and it fills in a keychain password. I know worst case Id just have to type my master password each time but I dont want to and thats taking a step backwards to/for me

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I like it. I only really use it for the volume and brightness sliders, and occasionally a smiley face.

The 100% best part of it is the Touch ID. People keep rejoicing about the Touch Bar leaving in the next gen MBP....which ok fine I can live without it, but dont take the damn Touch ID away. Doesnt sound like FaceID is ready for laptops or desktops per a report that dropped today on the main page. (Im not sure why? Maybe that kind of camera wont physically fit, but idk maybe make that part thicker idk)

I'm ok with it leaving as long as they keep a spot for Touch ID. I cant tell you how great it is when I go to all the sites that dont keep me logged in for one reason or another, or a new site I just signed up for on my phone that I just touch one spot and it fills in a keychain password. I know worst case Id just have to type my master password each time but I dont want to and thats taking a step backwards to/for me

The MacBook Air does not have a touchbar, but the power button has touch ID and physical dedicated buttons. So touch ID is independent of individual buttons or the touchbar.

m2m2k

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2020
Its kind of a gimmick. Have a mbp with a touchbar, but I never really used it other then adjusting volume or brightness, which works on normal keyboards just as well. I do not have one application where it is used in a "wow" or "thats superuseful" way. Downside of it: it hangs, when the computer hangs. So lets say a game hangs (had that with aan Unreal Engine based game), you can't press the esc button as the touchbar hangs as well.

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
For me, the Touch Bar is not only the single most useless piece of technology ever invented but also the single greatest annoyance to ever find its way onto a keyboard. A laptop with Touch Bar is a dealbreaker for me. Things I would enjoy more than using a Touch Bar keyboard ever again:

1) Getting impaled by Vlad Drăculea
2) Listening to Vogon poetry
3) Having my testicles removed without anesthesia

Yes, I really hate it that much. It's an abomination.

Last edited:

planteater

Cancelled
Feb 11, 2020
For me, the Touch Bar is not only the single most useless piece of technology ever invented but also the single greatest annoyance to ever find its way onto a keyboard. A laptop with Touch Bar is a dealbreaker for me. Things I would enjoy more than using a Touch Bar keyboard ever again:

1) Getting impaled by Vlad Drăculea
2) Listening to Vogon poetry
3) Having my testicles removed without anesthesia

Yes, I really hate it that much. Its an abomination.
As an opinionated, nonconformist, you have just guaranteed yourself to never have a job at Apple in their user acceptance department. The shrieks from the head nodders would be terrifying.

• Haha
Reactions: Never mind and mj_

R3k

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2011
Sep 7, 2011
Downside: no tactile feedback
Upside: easy access to autocomplete suggestions and mail folder suggestions.

The poll should have a 3rd option; I’m on the fence.

That said I’m sure many people will miss it if it’s removed, even some naysayers.

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
Aren’t there any tweaks for programming apps to show language shortcuts in the Touch Bar? I can imagine shortcuts for ( ) {} [] <> etc. in there, but guess that won’t save much time.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I've never owned a MBP with a Touch Bar, but have repeatedly read user comments about much they disliked it. Is there a reason for this? Having never used it, I think it's a cool feature, but maybe it isn't?
It’s an excellent feature I’d buy a MacBook with it before Apple removes it.

Reactions: hatchettjack

slicktromboner

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2018
I bought a new MacBook Air before getting a MacBook Pro from my employer and I have to say that I miss the function keys on the Air when using the Pro. You can lock the touchbar into a static configuration with the traditional brightness and volume buttons (System Prefs -> Keyboard -> "Touch Bar Shows: Expanded Control Strip"), but it's a chore to use if you aren't looking directly at it.

I do like that Big Sur put these controls into the control center in the menu bar, might just start using that instead.

Jdhommert

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2016
The MacBook Air does not have a touchbar, but the power button has touch ID and physical dedicated buttons. So touch ID is independent of individual buttons or the touchbar.
Great to know then! I wont cry if the Touch Bar leaves then....I wonder if with the ARM processor and getting rid of the TouchBar if a new 16" will be make it cheaper than $2400......

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Great to know then! I wont cry if the Touch Bar leaves then....I wonder if with the ARM processor and getting rid of the TouchBar if a new 16" will be make it cheaper than $2400......
I doubt Apple will drop the price of the 16". If the rumors hold true it will have a new chassis, much better screen, wifi 6 and other improvements.

bobt

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2006
Bozeman, Montana
Apple killed the potential with the TouchBar by not offering it on an external keyboard. When using my MBP with an external monitor and keyboard, I'm not typically using the TouchBar. If this was on an available external keyboard, people that are using iMac's, Mini's, and docked portables would have the option. It would increase the number of TouchBar users and probably a lot more support for it with other programs. Instead, it has been another Apple hobby with limited support. I use a wide range of applications and do not miss physical function keys at all. Most of the keyboard shortcuts are control, option or command variations on regular keys. So disappointed to think my next MBP will probably not have the TouchBar.

Conutz

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2014
Joburg
Yeah, it's quite funny that Xcode uses Fn-keys for debugging, even though this violates macOS human interface guidelines. Well, I am a developer to and I have absolutely no use for function keys. They simply do not belong on a Mac.

How do you debug? I mainly develop in a Windows VM using MPLABX, Keil uVision and Delphi, all using f-keys. My 2018 Touch Bar is not ideal for this due to no tactile feedback and touch sensitivity, as outlined elsewhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.