Downtime not blocking some apps

Discussion in 'iOS 12' started by rexone, Jan 24, 2019.

1. rexone macrumors regular

Lake Weyba on the sub-tropical Sunshine Coast :)
    Okay, so I have Downtime set on out daughter's phone so nothing bar the essentials should be available after 7pm & before 7am.
    I have added the required apps to the access at all times list.
    Out of hours the restricted apps show the little hourglass beside them. All but Instagram.
    It is not in the allowed list yet it keeps showing up.
    This has to be a bug of some sort.
    I've tried adding it to the list & removing it. Rebooting the phone etc yet still it shows up when it is not supposed to.
    Any suggestions? Of all apps it's the one I really do want blocked!!!

2. rexone thread starter macrumors regular

Gets weirder.
    I totally turned off settings in Do Not Disturb & Screen Time.
    I then went through & set everything up again.
    Instagram was then restricted, as it should be, as it was not on the 'Allowed' List.
    Now, 24-hours later, it is back as accessible despite still not being in the allowed list!!!
    Seriously... w... t... f...

3. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

Do “All apps and categories” and make sure “Block at End of Limit” is on under the App Limits section. Works flawlessly for me. Could it be that you don’t have this checked? If so, the child is presented with a message saying the limit has been reached, and do they want to ignore the limit? If they click ignore, it lets them right back in.

My only gripe with Screen Time is when my child requests more time, she has to do it one app at a time, as I can’t find a way to grants her additional time for All Apps with one approval.

05CD87A4-FCD8-4CF8-BBE5-012214F5CF28.jpeg

4. rexone thread starter macrumors regular

Thank kmichalec, I have all that set yet Instagram just keeps ignoring the settings.
    I have just reset the whole of Downtime etc [yet] again & it is now blocked but what has typically happened is that on the next Downtime cycle (i.e. - tomorrow night) Instagram will not respect the setting & will be available again.
    I'll see if it does this [yet] again.

5. rexone thread starter macrumors regular

Okay. A few hours after my last reset & post and Instagram is again not respecting settings and is available to use despite being on the blocked list.

6. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

Hmmm. That's interesting. To clarify, are you setting it up using the All Apps & Categories setting, or are you setting it up using the Social Media category? Obviously, using the All Apps & Categories setting should block everything, but wondering if you get any different result is you use Social Media specifically? (Just thinking out loud)

7. rexone thread starter macrumors regular

This is where the whole thing gets very confusing as you have to set so many things in different places...
    - DownTime is set for 7pm to 7am.
    - Only Apps in the 'Always Allowed' list are Phone & Messages.
    - 'Block at end of limit' is set in both all apps & social (but this has to do with daily limits NOT DownTime)

I have;
    - Totally reset ScreenTime, DownTime, App Limits & Always Allowed multiple times.
    - Everytime I do this I reboot the phone.
    - I have deleted & reinstalled Instagram.

I give up.
    There must be something in Instagram that is causing it to ignore the DownTime command because as you can see from the attached screen shot everything else is behaving as it should!

Attached Files:

8. Emaweb macrumors newbie

Did you work this out? I have the exact same problem with insta and Tik tok?