Dozens of Popular Apps Still Don't Natively Support iPhone X, But Updates Are Coming Soon

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 9, 2018.

1. MacRumors, Mar 9, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2018

MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

One of the minor disadvantages of buying an iPhone X early is having to wait for developers to update their apps with support for the smartphone's taller display. Many popular apps were updated within a few weeks after the device launched, but over four months later, there are still some notable omissions.

[​IMG]

MacRumors recently asked our readers to share their favorite apps that have yet to be optimized for the iPhone X display. Then, we reached out to the developers of each app to ask them if and when they will release updates with iPhone X support. We've included comments from every company that responded below.

Apple

Apple did not respond to multiple requests for comment.
    iMovie
    iTunes Connect
    iTunes Remote
    Beats Pill+
    AirPort Utility
    Music MemosGoogle

Google said it does not have anything to share at this time.
    Google Authenticator
    Google Analytics
    Google Admin
    Google Street View
    Google Wifi
    Google Cloud Console
    Inbox by Gmail
    Chrome Remote Desktop
    SnapseedMicrosoft

Microsoft confirmed it is working on updating its remaining apps to be optimized for the iPhone X, but it did not provide a timeframe.Microsoft Remote Desktop
    Microsoft Solitaire Collection
    Office 365 AdminBanking and Finance
    Chase -- "We constantly evaluate changes in the market while listening to customer feedback and regularly update our mobile app based on that feedback. Watch for an update in the near future."
    TD Canada -- "The next release of the TD mobile app, expected later this month, will be optimized for the iPhone X display."
    National Bank of Canada -- "The app will be updated for iPhone X in the coming months."
    HSBC
    ANZ goMoney Australia
    Barclaycard -- "We've recently made changes to our app in support of the Face ID feature and we're planning further enhancements to the visual experience to amplify the iPhone X display capabilities."Fast Food
    Domino's -- "It will be updated in one of our upcoming app updates. I don't have an exact date."
    Pizza Hut -- "Pizza Hut is currently developing numerous app enhancements, including optimizing the iPhone X display and other capabilities offered by the phone."
    Taco BellSports and Gaming
    NBC Sports -- "It will happen soon."
    PGA TOUR -- "We are updating our app on March 20 to support the new iPhone X format."
    MLS
    Steam
    Hearthstone
    Candy Crush Soda SagaTV and Media
    NPR News -- "We will have an update for iPhone X for the NPR News app on April 2."
    NPR One -- "The update for NPR One will come later in the summer."
    The Economist
    IGN
    TiVo
    CineplexTechnology
    Amazon Alexa -- "The Alexa app will be updated and optimized for iPhone X display in the coming weeks."
    Linksys -- "The update for the Linksys app for iPhone X will be rolling out in the next few days."
    OpenVPN -- "We are currently developing a new iOS app that will support iPhone X. It will tentatively be released end of April."
    HipChat -- "HipChat will not be updated for the iPhone X but Stride will be soon."
    Harmony ControlAirlines and Travel
    Hotels.com -- "We will be releasing our update to better support iPhone X shortly."
    Virgin Airlines
    Emirates
    Air France
    myChevroletApple recently announced that, starting April 2018, all new iOS apps submitted to the App Store, including universal apps, must support the iPhone X display. The rule doesn't apply to existing apps.

Article Link: Dozens of Popular Apps Still Don't Natively Support iPhone X, But Updates Are Coming Soon

2. ButteryScrollin macrumors 6502a

3. scottcampbell macrumors member

Someone isn't good to their battery.

4. chriscrowlee macrumors 65816

chriscrowlee

This is an issue that Apple needs to address with developers. I have a secondary device that’s an android and the fragmentation from experience one device to another is a huge disadvantage of Android. Apple holding developers to the fire to comply with resolution and screen elements is what makes Apple a far better experience. Chase and other apps still not supporting the X display have been updated many times. Apple should require them to comple. Just my opinion.

5. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Isn’t Chase supposed to be the most technologically advanced bank?

6. chrisishere.oz macrumors newbie

Can confirm ANZ Australia banking app does use the full real estate on the iPhone X. Was updated a number of weeks ago. It doesn’t help they have two banking apps...

7. Delgibbons macrumors 6502

Delgibbons

Bit shocking Apple still not updating some of their own apps to work with the notch :p

8. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

Er...

They have to get their own house in order first before they can do that.

9. itsmilo macrumors 68000

itsmilo

10. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Well if they aren't complying themselves, how are they supposed to require compliance from devs.

11. Cankoda macrumors member

Cankoda

Baffles me that Apple can’t even make sure their own lineup of apps aren’t updated for the IPhone X. Really annoys me, some of them are app I use!

12. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Umm.. no? I'm not saying they are awful but I have never heard that before. In my experience it's USAA. But my BofA, Citi, and Capital One apps are all updated for the iPhone X.

13. apppen1 macrumors 6502a

apppen1

Why isn't Apple's own app iMovie supported when they are forcing the App developers to support the X screen?

14. nutmac macrumors 68040

First of all, great article.

As for the fate of most these 6 iOS apps by Apple, I think the short answer is: "they are dead, Jim."

iMovie probably is alive, but is given lower priority as the team focuses on Clips.

I think iTunes Connect is being reworked and will be renamed, perhaps unveiled during WWDC.

iTunes Remote... dead.

Beats Pill+... dead.

AirPort Utility... dead, along with AirPort hardware.

Music Memos... what?

15. kalafalas macrumors regular

iTunes remote isn’t just not updated for iPhone X, it’s fully broken. Doesn’t show Apple Music tracks, starting songs doesn’t properly set up the queue, and a very old interface. I wish they would ditch it and build the remote features into music.app like Spotify does

16. Krayzkat macrumors regular

Krayzkat

How hard can it be? Its ridiculous. I'd be pissed if i bothered to get a X and even some Apple apps didn't use the full screen.

17. DamoTheBrave macrumors regular

Apple often seem to be weirdly slow to update for their own tech. 3D Touch for eg could do very little for the first two years it was rolled out. It’s true they’ve got bigger fires to fight before updating Airport Utility but it really doesn’t take very long in XCode to achieve compatibility for the X.

18. Baymowe335 macrumors 65816

I contacted Chase directly and they flat out told me middle of this month, X would be supported.

19. mi7chy macrumors 601

mi7chy

That ugly notch adds nothing but fragmentation to apps and user experience.

20. JRobinsonJr macrumors 6502

Well said (!) though I would add that app should be required to either support taking full advantage of the screen across iPhone and iPads... or run only on one. One thing that really annoys me is running an app on my iPad only to have it run in portrait / zoom mode because it was only designed for the phone.

21. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

I could be wrong in saying this, but doesn't Android automatically resize apps and move their buttons around in order to fit any display? Like, it's an actual feature built into Android due to the myriad of devices out there. Why doesn't Apple implement the same approach? That way developers never have to worry about this?

Also if I'm wrong regarding Android I'd appreciate being corrected.

22. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

In my opinion, Apple should be setting the example.

23. mariusignorello macrumors 65816

Their corpo-babble response is too much.

Funny enough, they had an ad on TV for Quick Pay which showed the iPhone X version of the app. I was wondering when it would be released.

24. JamonBull macrumors regular

JamonBull

One of the main reasons I decided to wait for the 2018 iPhone X. By the time the new phone is out, mostly all developers will have updated their app UI’s.

25. ClaytonK macrumors member

It’s too bad this is necessary in the first place. Couldn’t the phone just kind of do this automagically? The fact that Apple hasn’t updated it’s own apps suggests the current process is a burden.

26. zhouxcy macrumors newbie

zhouxcy

so inbox by gmail will be update?