Dr. Dre Addresses Abuse Accusations With Apology, Apple Releases Supporting Statement

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacRumors, Aug 21, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

With the recent release of the movie Straight Outta Compton detailing Dr. Dre's hip-hop group N.W.A, unsavory moments from Dre's past were unearthed as critics questioned why the movie didn't cover his abuse towards women. During the 1990s, Dr. Dre was accused of assaulting several women, including his girlfriend at the time Michel'le and television host Dee Barnes.

In response to the allegations, Dr. Dre has given a statement to The New York Times apologizing for his actions and saying he deeply regrets what he did in his youth.

[​IMG]
    Dr. Dre has been employed at Apple for the past year, following the company's acquisition of Beats Electronics and Beats Music, created by both Dre and Jimmy Iovine. Apple also gave a statement to The New York Times, supporting Dr. Dre.
    At Apple, Dr. Dre is working on Apple Music alongside Jimmy Iovine. Though he has no specific title, Dre has been involved with Beats 1 radio, hosting his own weekly show called "The Pharmacy" and has released two albums exclusively on Apple Music, including "Compton: A Soundtrack," the official soundtrack of the Straight Outta Compton movie, and "The Chronic," originally released in 1992.

Note: Due to the controversial nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Dr. Dre Addresses Abuse Accusations With Apology, Apple Releases Supporting Statement

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

I'll just get the obvious one out of the way:
    Beats by Dre.

3. rdlink macrumors 68040

rdlink

4. Dargoth macrumors regular

Dargoth

Most of us have done things we're not proud of, and apparently he's as human as the rest of us. Who would have guessed? It takes a strong man to work to overcome his problems like this. I support this guy. :)

5. bingeciren macrumors 6502a

bingeciren

Dr. of what? Phd? MD? or none of the above.

6. Mackinjosh macrumors 6502a

Yeah, he was so sorry about it that he allowed Eminem to make light of the Dee Barnes beatdown in one of his songs. Not buying your BS apology, Dre.

7. Mackinjosh macrumors 6502a

None of the things I'm not proud of approach attempted murder. But you go right ahead and support this idiot.

8. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

It's never too late to realize you were wrong, apologize and do your best to become a better person.

9. Saucesome2000 macrumors 6502

Saucesome2000

Abuse towards anyone is deplorable, but the bad thing about this is My Ruin front woman Tairrie B. is the one I heard who brought this back up, coincidentally at the same time she's starting to push her new memoir, her return to rap music, and after the release of Straight Outta Compton. Not that it shouldn't be addressed, but this seems like she's using it solely for her own publicity, which is spitting on the real issue. She also declined to press charges when the incident happened because she was more concerned with getting her album released. These are her own words.

10. TWSS37 macrumors 65816

I'm curious if the "payoff" of acquiring Iovine was worth the headache/backlash that hiring Dre as a result of the acquisition has caused.

11. nfl46 macrumors 603

This is such a sad world we live in. This man did this 25, yes, 25 years ago and people can't forgive him? Smh. He was in his mid 20s. I'm sure we all aren't proud of the foolish and dumb mistakes we made in our 20s.

12. Dargoth macrumors regular

Dargoth

So you're an ubermensch is what you're saying, right? So, because what he's done wrong is worse than what you've done wrong, he's a bastard. Is that it? If anyone has gone down a road as dark as this guy has, I think it's admirable that he's managed to come out of it and become the man he is today. I don't get the hostility.

13. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Yeah, Apple's statement on behalf of a rapper. Just something about this is so surreal – in a bad way.

14. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

That's a real apology. No excuses, admits fault, and shows that he's trying to be a better man.

I admire that he realizes that he made a mistake, and respect him for working to be a better man.

I don't know what he's done in the last 25 years, but I hope that it shows him progressively becoming better.

15. Mums Suspended

Mums

16. AngerDanger macrumors 68030

AngerDanger

It's hardly like he was going to admit to enjoying his abusive behavior and defend it as a necessary display of power or something insane like that. Regardless of sincerity, it seems like a good PR move; people who deplore him will continue to do so while people who were ambivalent might respect him.

17. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

Receiving forgiveness in America is easy as long as you are rich and blessed by a socially liberal megacorporation.

Josh Duggar also gave a very contrite apology. How's that working out for him?

18. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

19. acctman macrumors 6502a

acctman

I hate stories like this... it brings out the self righteous (i have done no wrong) hypocrites. Seriously some of the people posting act as if they live a perfect life with no wrong.

20. Dargoth macrumors regular

Dargoth

Or maybe the real issue is that people like you tend to judge people harshly when they reach a certain level of success? This guy is human, think of him as a human and suddenly you'll realize my point. In fact, I challenge you to do so.

21. samcraig macrumors P6

I think everyone is entitled to their opinion and whether or not they can or would forgive someone. I'm guessing not many people here were actually affected by this man.

That being said - there's no statute of limitations on forgiveness. Just because time has passed doesn't erase what someone has done. But it's a slippery slope. Look at Bill Cosby. He did a great amount of good. While at the same time, he was a very different person in private. Many people are conflicted, and for good reason on whether or not the good can or should outweigh transgressions. It's a personal choice.

22. Mums Suspended

Mums

You would give a real apology for a billion dollars as well. But the apology reads like a lawyer wrote it.

23. Mums Suspended

Mums

Spot on! I REALLY feel like saying "I told you so" to all of the numbskulls around here who have been defending this disturbing acquisition.

24. odditie macrumors 6502

As with any situation similar to this, I hope the public facing comments are true to how he feels and acts.

25. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

What backlash has it caused?