Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rajivvishwa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2010
Bellevue, WA, USA
I'm pretty new to mac and a pro windows user. It's not been a month since I bought my first mac and now I'm feeling so comfortable with it.

I have a basic question on how to select a few files, drag and drop it into a new folder in the same folder level

For example, In windows I do this
1. Select few files in C:\Temp
2. Cut those
3. Create a new folder and rename it C:\Temp\NewTemp
4. Right click the folder and Paste it.

This is what I do in Mac now
1. Choose the files to be moved into a new folder (When I'm about to drag it, I remember that I've not created the new folder! Grr..)
2. Create a new folder and all my selection is gone
3. Now reselect all the files again and drop it to the new folder (Phew!)

Am I missing the cut feature in finder??? I know that 'Cut' is not much required in mac since everything works on DragNDrop.

I'm not sure whether there is any workaround for people like me who are used to selecting the files before creating a target folder. I'm sure that there should be something which can help me create a folder onthefly while dragging the files and keeping the selection intact.

P.S. I apologize if the question sounds too stupid or irrelevant

catfish743

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
Kentucky
I'm pretty new to mac and a pro windows user. It's not been a month since I bought my first mac and now I'm feeling so comfortable with it.

I have a basic question on how to select a few files, drag and drop it into a new folder in the same folder level

For example, In windows I do this
1. Select few files in C:\Temp
2. Cut those
3. Create a new folder and rename it C:\Temp\NewTemp
4. Right click the folder and Paste it.

This is what I do in Mac now
1. Choose the files to be moved into a new folder (When I'm about to drag it, I remember that I've not created the new folder! Grr..)
2. Create a new folder and all my selection is gone
3. Now reselect all the files again and drop it to the new folder (Phew!)

Am I missing the cut feature in finder??? I know that 'Cut' is not much required in mac since everything works on DragNDrop.

I'm not sure whether there is any workaround for people like me who are used to selecting the files before creating a target folder. I'm sure that there should be something which can help me create a folder onthefly while dragging the files and keeping the selection intact.

P.S. I apologize if the question sounds too stupid or irrelevant

Apple+ Shift+ N creates new folder.
Apple + X/C/V = cut, copy paste respectively. Does this help?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Am I missing the cut feature in finder???

There are dozens of threads on this topic, as a search of the forum with
Long story short, create the folder before you select the files to drag. It doesn't work in Mac OS X the same way it does in Windows.
Apple + X/C/V = cut, copy paste respectively. Does this help?
It doesn't work that way in Finder. Copy and paste does, but not cut.

rajivvishwa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2010
Bellevue, WA, USA
Clarification

I think I was not clear in explaining what I wanted.

• I know how to create new folder, copy, paste etc with shortcuts within finder.

I was wondering whether there is any apple script or something which is invoked when I select multiple files and drag inside the same folder, its should create a new folder so that I can drop into it.

Scenario: I've selected some 100 good looking photos from a collection of 1000s. I've not created a new folder to which I've to place these pics.

Temporary Workaround : I've created a empty folder 'temp' in my sidebar. so after my selection I drag it there go back to the parent folder, create a new folder and then move back the files from 'temp'.

I've lot many images/documents and other files in my mac and I tend to keep it organized. So I end up selecting the files to be put inside various folders even before creating new folders into which it has to be put.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I was wondering whether there is any apple script or something which is invoked when I select multiple files and drag inside the same folder, its should create a new folder so that I can drop into it.

I don't know how that would be possible. I think you're just gonna have to get used to making the folder first.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
The majority of the functions used in that action have been deprecated. Why link to something that clearly doesn't work?

:confused: How would I would know that? I wasn't aware of that and there's nothing in the description to indicate that it's OS version specific. Excuse me, I'll go play in traffic...

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
:confused: How would I would know that? I wasn't aware of that and there's nothing in the description to indicate that it's OS version specific. Excuse me, I'll go play in traffic...

Oh you know, look into what you are recommending. Don't blindly copy and paste the first thing you find.

To append, the action also requires other functions from here: http://automator.us/downloads.html which are not included.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
Oh you know, look into what you are recommending. Don't blindly copy and paste the first thing you find.

To append, the action also requires other functions from here: http://automator.us/downloads.html which are not included.

I'm sorry, I shouldn't have posted to this topic. I've never used Automator, but knew of it. I also knew that Actions were available from other users, etc. I did a search and found the link I posted. I was just trying to be helpful... :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.