Dream: Apple Makes Amends with 17in Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PoetCSW, Nov 8, 2016.

1. PoetCSW macrumors newbie

In an alternate reality, Apple listens to creative pros and introduces a 17in MacBook Pro.

What would the machine (realistically) be? My wishlist.
    • Five hour battery is fine. Power cord is normal.
    • Real, killer PRO GPU.
    • User memory slots to 64GB.
    • Return of ports (for now).
    • Real, PowerBook era keyboard.
    • Retina ISP Matte screen option.
    • Desktop class CPU.
    I still need Ethernet, USB A, and a digital audio. But, I know port needs change. MagSafe was a lifesaver more than once.

Would such a gesture matter? Too late?

2. Altis macrumors 68020

That would be glorious.

More of a mobile workstation type of computer rather than ultrabook.

3. CodeSpyder macrumors 6502a

CodeSpyder

Dream on.

4. dyn macrumors 68030

Then why the battery at all? I can understand that a notebook makes it easier to lug around so you can work somewhere else but having a battery when using the power cord is normal doesn't make much sense (if you want to use it as a UPS: you could buy one or it can have a smaller battery life of 20 minutes (which is the average time on battery power on the average UPS anyway)).

5. Yaemon macrumors regular

Yaemon

6. Marshall73 macrumors 65816

Marshall73

I'm sure they will get right on that, powered by unicorns and rainbows no doubt. :)

7. Capt T macrumors 6502a

Petition with enough people/promises to buy to make it worth their time and resources....that means a small minority will be paying for the R&D on something like that. Meaning not cheap.

8. gpat macrumors 6502a

How much R&D is needed for a minor tweak of the MBP design? They could do it, no sweat.

9. Capt T macrumors 6502a

Not sure...someone with more engineering background could answer that. But would imagine at the least hinge, test the body design, as if you are all asking for more desktop class laptop it will most likely be a different design. Software tweaks for yet another CPU and GPU. Which screen is best and keeps their 'retina' level of pixels...to name just a few things.

10. Seed101 macrumors 6502

Seed101

...but it wouldn't fit in your handbag?

11. Rian Gray, Nov 8, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2016

Rian Gray macrumors regular

Rian Gray

From what I understand, digital audio is still in, via 3.5mm. As for the ethernet, I only use it time to time, so I'd rather have another thunderbolt port rather then a dedicated ethernet port.

What I really don't understand is Apple's decision to make it all USB-C, thunderbolt 3 ports. While 10 hr battery does make it less needed feature (a long with can charge with anywhere of those 4 ports, which makes it less likely to trip over the cord), it still is a damn good feature in good demand.

If Jobs was still here, he'd laugh at audience and say, "if you need ethernet, USB-A, magsafe ports, and SD card slots, we are also selling an attachable hub (just like this one) for $99" and moved on. And it would've made sense. Now Apple is missing out major accessory, not covering all their bases.

edit: apparently digital audio is not in! bummer.

12. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

13. bigpoppamac31 macrumors 68000

Well considering Apple used to actually make a 17" MBP (my dad still has his) then it shouldn't be that big of an issue for them. I mean they are supposedly tech geniuses right? ;)

14. Altis macrumors 68020

It'd be nothing for them to do it.

I was hoping it would come back once 17" Retina displays were available, but it looks like that isn't going to happen as they push more towards iPads.

15. bigpoppamac31 macrumors 68000

True. A 17" would be sweet. I wouldn't need to have an external monitor when at a desk and it can still be light enough to take on the go.

16. J D A macrumors member

J D A

This. No one would buy this garbage. This is essentially what the OP is asking for.

I mean people may but there's no way in hell apple would make a profit on it. I guarantee it would encroach on the Mac Pro line.

17. Altis macrumors 68020

I use the 2010 17" now as my mobile device. It's a bit bulky and heavy... but if they had one at around 5 pounds and slimmed up the body and bezels, it'd be more than portable enough.

Having the screen real estate on the go is outstanding... especially with side-by-side documents.

18. bigpoppamac31 macrumors 68000

True that. And they could make the display 4K.

19. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

I would love them to bring back the 17". Doubtful though. :(

20. thats all folks macrumors 6502a

thats all folks

what Mac Pro line? the ghost of 2013?

21. Seed101 macrumors 6502

Seed101

See above...beaten to it :)

22. leman macrumors 604

Well, now that the world is officially crazy, I can't totally dismiss the possibility of this happening

23. agaskew macrumors 6502

It shall be named the MacBook Ultra. And it shall cost the GDP of a small country to buy.

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its a pipe dream, Apple killed it off for a reason and they don't think that reason has changed, otherwise they would have brought it back, if they thought it would make them money.