Droid RAZR or iPhone 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by b24pgg, Oct 20, 2011.

1. b24pgg macrumors 65816

I've been pondering over this decision since Tuesday and I'm leaning towards the Droid RAZR over the iPhone 4S. The iPhone is obviously an excellent device and clearly has many advantages over Android, which is why this is such a tough decision.

Droid RAZR Advantages:
    1. 4G
    2. LED Notifications
    3. Gorilla glass
    4. Free Google Navigation
    5. Build quality/materials
    6. Ability to install non-market apps without rooting/jailbreaking
    7. Widgets/notification taskbar

Disadvantages:
    1. Battery life will likely be atrocious
    2. PenTile screen
    3. UI smoothness
    4. Poor syncing options

Thoughts?

2. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

3. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

In my opinion, those disadvantages (especially battery life) outweigh the advantages. Plus, it's not an iPhone. :p

Seriously, though, I think the reaction from these forums will be rather biased towards the iPhone. I think the 4S is the best phone on the market (and of those recently announced), in terms of an all-round package.

4. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Droid RAZR is butt ugly...

5. s.hasan546 macrumors 6502

i think your underestimating the battery. It is a much bigger battery than in some of the other 4g phones (esp. the thunderbolt). And some droids have gotten a lot better with battery life. My old incredible 2 lasted longer than my iPhone 4

6. Eager Beaver macrumors 6502a

Eager Beaver

But that was wild ass speculation on the OP's part, (don't know why he even postede that)?

7. thenerdal macrumors 65816

Since most people have iPhones on this forum, they'll tell you to get the iPhone.

But I am not one of those people.

Try out both.

Here's a comparison of the two:
    [​IMG]

8. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

I like the iphone more but the droid looks promising so try out both and see yourself.

9. aneftp macrumors 68040

This is the only answer you need to know.

Droid Razr will ship with gingerbread

Only with ice cream are you fully able to utilized both cores.

What's the date Motorola has promised for ice cream sandwich? "early 2012"

So it maybe March 2012 before you get ice cream sandwich.

You are better off getting Nexus Galaxy with officical Google support and the most timely updates.

10. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Not true.
    Gingerbread already has full support for dual core phones. ;)

11. linkgx1 macrumors 65816

It really depends. m......I just got the 4S. It's quite great so far (first Apple phone). RAZR looks awesome....put the price is too much. I got away from 'droid as it's just still not mature enough for me yet. Maybe in another year. I love the Citadel demo and have not yet experienced anything like it on my Android phone.

I also hate when people say if you want a great experience with Android, then get a Nexus. If I want a spefific phone, then I'll get an iPhone. I want choice with droid AND support. I've only used my 4S for a few hours, but so far it's been great.:)

12. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Droid Razr gets the ugly phone of the year award.

13. b24pgg thread starter macrumors 65816

True. But I was planning on waiting till January anyway. Droids always decrease in price eventually and by January there will be a whole lot of accessory options and Amazon Wireless/Wirefly/etc. will have it discounted

14. fastblack macrumors regular

Actually the iPhone does have HDMI out

15. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Try them both and see which suits you best. No one can make the right choice but you. Also, this isn't really the best place to come if you want an unbiased opinion.

16. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

im kind of really sick of these spec charts and saying that android is better. i know it has more specs like a better front camera and higher CPU speed. but when in reality is the iPhone 4S actually faster than a lot of these 1.2 ghz phones. apple optimizes the software. so yes specs might be better however, they might need higher specs to get the smoothness the iPhone has. yes it has LTE however, i haven't really seen a phone that delivers good battery using data on LTE. it looks nice and the specs are higher in some cases but in most regard that doesn't matter to me. i would rather have an optimized phone that i can rely on. I'm not saying its better than the droid; its what i prefer. i own a macbook pro and an iPad so i would want an iPhone to keep everything sync without having to do anything extra. plus i have spent a good amount of money in apps that i would not want to lose. you have to go to a store and play with them. i know many people who bought droids and they were calling out my iPhone all the time but now they don't say much and i think its lost its luster to them. there are a few who want an iPhone too. just my 2 cents

17. bobTX10 macrumors member

Why on gods green earth would you ask to choose between a razr or iPhone on an iPhone forum? :confused:

18. b24pgg thread starter macrumors 65816

Is that not allowed?

19. Prototypical macrumors 6502

Prototypical

I'm in the same boat, coming from an original Moto Droid. I've been waiting for the newest iPhone for the past few months but the RAZR really threw a wrench in my plans.

That said - I loved the heck out of the Droid for the first year or so when I had it rooted and overclocked. After that point, I had to revert to stock for company IT security purposes (government contracting and such). My feelings have gone 180* and I feel like I want to throw this thing out a window a few times a week.

If Moto managed to crank up the power enough to overcome the slow-downs, lag, freezing, and redraws (oh God, the redraws...) I'll take the RAZR without a doubt. Otherwise, I'll go with the tried-and-true iPhone. I'm to the point now where I don't really care to tinker; I just want to be able to pick up the phone when someone calls and answer it (instead of listen to the phone continue to vibrate 2-3 seconds into the call, or have the phone app crap out, etc).

20. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

I've had 4 Android phones, and let me tell you this...

Don't. Buy. Anything. But. A. Nexus. Device.

Seriously, most Android phones are like a trap. They don't care about you, your problems, or giving you software updates.

Custom ROMs get old fast, and when you fix problem A you cause problem B. 4S or Galaxy Nexus is the way to go. I'm telling you this because I don't want you to experience what I did

21. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Since you are buying based on specs, you should buy a desktop computer instead...much better specs than any crappy old phone.

22. iMaconApple macrumors 6502a

go play with them in person..im sure you will like the sexiness of the iphone 4/S and the ease of use :):apple:

^^^
    oh and your avi haha..i tried to flick that ant or bug whatever that is off my screen on my iphone stupid retina display got me:eek: haha i was like ew a bug flick flick wtf..i need some sleep i guess:eek:

23. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

If you do go for Android, this ^^^. I had a Samsung Galaxy S previously that was garbage (great specs, awful, awful software that slowed it to a crawl and killed battery life). Shortly after, I had a Nexus S. Much better, thanks to the lack of Samsung crapware. Battery life was better, but not great (due to the big AMOLED display sucking the battery dry).

24. thesiren macrumors 6502a

thesiren

for someone who drinks the apple koolaid and has absolutely no experience whatsoever with droid...it all sounds really fattening :confused: