Drop Powerbook 3" = void AppleCare?!?

Aeolius

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2002
903
26
My wife has a friend who apparently dropped her Powerbook 3" and is now being told, from her local Apple Store, that although she has Apple Care, it will cost $1,100 to fix.

Opinions?
 

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
3,399
489
NorCal
Aeolius said:
My wife has a friend who apparently dropped her Powerbook 3" and is now being told, from her local Apple Store, that although she has Apple Care, it will cost $1,100 to fix.

Opinions?
What kind of damage did the fall cause? I don't think AppleCare covers accidents though :(
 

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
14,874
57
tech4all said:
What kind of damage did the fall cause? I don't think AppleCare covers accidents though :(
Nope it doesn't, any damage caused by the user isn't covered.

Getting it covered on homeowners for such a small amount can get your policy canceled (aka, non-renewal) and your name put on the wrong list.

It's in the policy, so there should be no surprise -- check the credit card for the possibility of buyer's insurance.
 

diamond geezer

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2004
156
0
If the damage was caused by the drop it shouldn't be covered.

Why would Apple have to fork out for your wife's friend's butterfingers?

Just because someone says it was a 3" drop, doesn't mean that was the reality of the situation.
 

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
3,399
489
NorCal
Sun Baked said:
Getting it covered on homeowners for such a small amount can get your policy canceled (aka, non-renewal) and your name put on the wrong list.
That's a small amount ($1,100)? What would be considered the "minimum" amount?

diamond geezer said:
Why would Apple have to fork out for your wife's friend's butterfingers?
I think I read on here that Dell covers accidents....not sure if that's true though.
 

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
6,943
3
Citizens Bank Park
Aeolius said:
My wife has a friend who apparently dropped her Powerbook 3" and is now being told, from her local Apple Store, that although she has Apple Care, it will cost $1,100 to fix.

Opinions?
How damaged is it? Does it work?
 

ericssonboi

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2005
342
0
It really depends..

People have dropped their PB and sent it into repair without a problem
repairing them...

While others have sent them in... and needed items replaced... And was refused to have them replaced by applecare due to the fact that Apple said the cause of the damage was due to an accidental drop.

Instead of being out $1100... try sending it in first... and see what happens.. But with $1100 worth of damage... i would only think that the drop caused it..
 

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
tech4all said:
That's a small amount ($1,100)? What would be considered the "minimum" amount?
I think I read on here that Dell covers accidents....not sure if that's true though.
Your household insurance policy probably has a deductible of $300 - $500, so you would pay the first amount.
Your 'risk' to the insurance company depends on the 'experience' of the plan; both your own claims, and the claims of everyone in your geographic and demographic vicinity.
If you make one claim in 10 years, no big impact. If you make continual claims, you're going to get a 'rating' that will eventually result in higher premiums or denial of insurance because you're a bad risk.

Dell has optional accident insurance that you can buy separately. They don't "cover" anything out of the goodness of they hearts. You pay for it...
 

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
14,874
57
tech4all said:
That's a small amount ($1,100)? What would be considered the "minimum" amount?
Yes that's a small amount, when you consider it could get your homeowner's insurance policy canceled.

They are out there doing their best to get people canceled and moved into high risk. And all they need is a single claim.

They been tripling renewal rates for people without claims...

There are many articles you can find that tell people to avoid making small claims on their homeowners policy.
 

ericssonboi

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2005
342
0
I would suggest staying away from making a claim from your home insurance company.

Who knows what will happen tommorow... if your house gets broken into.. and you already made a claim to fix your PB... your screwed. You make a claim for having your home entertainment system, tv, etc stolen... and they'll have to fork out some more big bucks... Then for sure .. your rates are going to increase.

Same goes with car insurance. If you get into a minor fender bender in the local supermarket.. your not going to make a claim to get something $1000 fixed when in the future.. if something does happen... they won't take your policy anymore..
 

Phatpat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2003
903
2
Cambridge, MA
I know this has been effectively said already, but I'll reiterate:

3" is be no different from 3 feet in terms of Applecare.
 

basinginuts

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2005
2
0
Wait who dropped it?

Unless Apple caused them to drop their computer, why would Apple be responsible to cover the cost to repair it?

I'd recommend getting your wife's friend this book:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0307440648

Then have them call a service provider that can repair the Powerbook for the actual cost of parts and labor instead of Apple's inflated level rates.
 

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
5,215
2
grapes911 said:
Physical damage is not covered. They can call apple and not tell them it was dropped. Just play dumb.
They can take it in, inspect it, and if it appears to be dropped can charge up to $90 for looking at it. I guess that is to cover the cost of shipping, etc. If they accept it, its free.


tech4all said:
I think I read on here that Dell covers accidents....not sure if that's true though.
Dell covers anything because their stuff is so faulty... you never know!

(Cue Timelessblur's comment on Mac fanatics.... now. ;))
 

budugu

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2004
433
0
Boston, MA
CanadaRAM said:
Your household insurance policy probably has a deductible of $300 - $500, so you would pay the first amount.
Your 'risk' to the insurance company depends on the 'experience' of the plan; both your own claims, and the claims of everyone in your geographic and demographic vicinity.
If you make one claim in 10 years, no big impact. If you make continual claims, you're going to get a 'rating' that will eventually result in higher premiums or denial of insurance because you're a bad risk.

Dell has optional accident insurance that you can buy separately. They don't "cover" anything out of the goodness of they hearts. You pay for it...
but neither DELL nor HP charge 350$ for a insurance either! so even if you get the accidental drop stuff you are still with in limits! If it is a 3" drop i cannot for see any thing else other than the HD getting smacked! and i am sure apple charges $1100 (300 basic+ 70$/hr labor +3*parts cost). I think they are better off just getting a diagnostic DVD/CD boot the machine using that and then check that it is the hard drive that has failed. Get a new 2.5" HD -70-150$ ..download the manual and install it themselves. It is good to tape the whole process as you might miss place stuff (which is rare)

BTW intalling your own HD will not void apple warranty(according to an apple rep) -just that the HD will not be covered!

The best thing to do always is act dumb ;-) and use phone support than those ego inflated apple store "Genius" who think too much of themselves. Moreover have a single stupid answer "apple products are made out of exceptional quality and ...not like your HP (he just saw the other laptop) and they cannot fail!."

basinginuts said:
Unless Apple caused them to drop their computer, why would Apple be responsible to cover the cost to repair it?

I'd recommend getting your wife's friend this book:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0307440648

Then have them call a service provider that can repair the Powerbook for the actual cost of parts and labor instead of Apple's inflated level rates.
Common there needs to be a certain tolerance built into them .... they are laptops and they will be taken arround.... you just cannot make a such a delicate one that gets F***ed once some one touches it. That being said reality is that apple has a extremely restricted policies and they can get away with it!

PS: i donot care whether DELL takes my laptop because they think that their products generally fail or not ... as long as i get my stuff repaired or replaced i donot care.
 

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
1,086
0
Mechcozmo said:
They can take it in, inspect it, and if it appears to be dropped can charge up to $90 for looking at it. I guess that is to cover the cost of shipping, etc. If they accept it, its free.




Dell covers anything because their stuff is so faulty... you never know!

(Cue Timelessblur's comment on Mac fanatics.... now. ;))

I find that insulting. What the hell does this have to do with Mac fanatics who dont know what they are talking about.
Why the hell do I give a rats ass about the ripoff known as apple care. Warrenty have never mented to cover accedental damage. Dell just happens to be more forgiving and more willing to give their costumers a befeit of the dought
 

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
1,509
0
people skills

From stories from all my mac using friends:

Always deny that you did anything wrong:
Apple support is never going to outright call you a liar, that would be bad for business.

Say, "My powerbook is acting weird or not working." If the powerbook is damaged on the outside, tell them that those marks/dents have been there for awhile and the cpu still worked fine for several months.

I had a friend who was using his Tibook late one nite after drinking alot, and somehow he managed to close a lit cigarette in his Tibook. He totally melted 2 inches of the lcd. He went to the Apple Store, talked to a tech guy, said the screen melted. They knew that story was not true but they wouldn't accuse him of lying. He had bought Applecare with the Tibook, so they just fixed it rather than argue with him and lose a customer (it was his first mac.)

Now for you guys saying that I am encouraging scamming Apple:

Apple has the most basic 1 year warranty allowed by law. All other reputable tech companies supply a 3 year warranty as standard.

Compare Applecare to car insurance:
If I crash my car into a tree, my car insurance company will pay the bill even if it is $15,000, even if it is my fault . That is why I have care insurance, and why I purchase Applecare.

I understand that Apple has some limitations just in case Michael Dell and Bill Gates want to buy 1 million Powerbooks, break all the LCDs and have a disco dance party on Powerbooks.

But $350 for an addition 2 years warranty that the other companies supply standard is too much if they are going to be so picky about repairs.

If my PB breaks, while under Applecare, and it honestly isn't my fault...well
Then I have 5.6 pounds of AI to smack on someones head.
 

Nermal

Moderator
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
18,677
1,183
New Zealand
Interesting that such a small drop caused a problem. I once had my iBook on my car's front seat, and when I quickly stopped it flew forwards, hit the dashboard, then dropped onto the floor. It still worked perfectly afterwards.
 

Bigheadache

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2004
271
0
before I get flamed by any Apple apologists, this is just my opinion. I think it should be covered by the AppleCare. People lose perspective that laptops and notebooks are supposed to be portable. Anything portable, is bound to get bumped when its moved around. So when they design these things you'd think that some sort of physical tolerance would be built in so the machine can take a 3inch drop. After all, why else would IBM go to the lengths to design a laptop that knows to park the hard drive heads when its falling. If a powerbook can't take a 3inch drop, thats a product defect in my view. User accident is dropping it in water or spilling coffee on it.
 

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
1,242
0
One Endless Loop
Kind of related but... So I'm in the apples store today pondering if I should give in to urge and buy the new 15in powerbook. I see this girl in there playing with her powerbook at the genius bar (she's cute) and I ask her, "SO how do you like your powerbook" she says its WONDERFUL. She loves it sooo much and never had a problem with it. I say you have you ever had the aluminum warp on you from heat or a drop and she says nooo never. Its been perfect. So I am like alright.... then she comes over to discuss it more right after she puts it in her bag. BUT when she is putting it in her bag I notice the COMPLETE DISTORTION AND WARPING SMASHED UP CORNER AND SIDE of the powerbook. Looked like sh$t. When she came over to talk I was like what a damn liar and walked away. I'm married folks, would have walked away anyways. :)
 

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
5,215
2
Timelessblur said:
I find that insulting. What the hell does this have to do with Mac fanatics who dont know what they are talking about.
Why the hell do I give a rats ass about the ripoff known as apple care. Warrenty have never mented to cover accedental damage. Dell just happens to be more forgiving and more willing to give their costumers a befeit of the dought
Sorry, I didn't mean to insult you. It was because you often point out that we are too loving of our Macs that I said what I said about Dells falling apart so much they warranted a looser warranty. I didn't mean to insult you. Again, I am very sorry.

Mechcozmo
 

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
5,215
2
MacTruck said:
So I am like alright.... then she comes over to discuss it more right after she puts it in her bag. BUT when she is putting it in her bag I notice the COMPLETE DISTORTION AND WARPING SMASHED UP CORNER AND SIDE of the powerbook. Looked like sh$t.
My 12" hasn't ever melted. Hopefully it will stay that way... :rolleyes: ... but it seems to do pretty well with the day to day and the heat it generates.
 

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
1,242
0
One Endless Loop
By the way. Florida law prohibits apple computer to sell applecare warranties. Florida sees it as an illegal scam and won't allow it. Sooo you can't buy applecare in florida. Just an fyi. So florida sees it as a scam, maybe it is. I think so. IBM and many other give a 3 year warranty (on most units) as standard. On top of that. Apple gives a 1 year warranty but after 90 days if you have a problem and call apple they charge you $50 just to talk to them about your broken computer. So its really only a 90 day warranty. I have never heard of that in my life. You can't call them about a warranty problem on your 1yr warranty item after 90 days without paying? Anybody who defends the apple warranty should be beaten. Its the worst in the business. For $350 they should fix it if you smashed it with a hammer. Scam scam scam.

Sony does a similar warranty, 90 days phone, 1 yr but only if you don't register your product. If you register its full 1yr phone and warranty, but if you put a different operating system on the computer than what it came with the warranty is VOID. I'm talking about putting XP pro on a system that came with XP home. Trust me. Bought a vaio, the dvd drive went bad in 1st week. I had put xp pro on it and they blamed that for the failure. I returned the computer needless to say.
 

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
1,242
0
One Endless Loop
Mechcozmo said:
My 12" hasn't ever melted. Hopefully it will stay that way... :rolleyes: ... but it seems to do pretty well with the day to day and the heat it generates.
Yeah, it wasn't from heat. She had dropped it. You could tell. Freaked me out though how bad it looked. The aluminum is just very soft, no way around it. Not to say any computer wouldn't sustain major damage from dropping it but it was like seeing a super model with a knife slash across her face you know.

I was going to buy the powerbook but I for the life of me can't get over how much I hate the lcd hinge. YUCK! June 6th, new dual core G4 at 1.8ghz and new design. I'm holdin out baby.

I'm stickin with my Tibook 1ghz with superdrive until then. Love it.