DropBox Gains Root Privilege of Your Mac Through Hack

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CrickettGrrrl, Sep 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrickettGrrrl, Sep 11, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  2. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

Must be a recent thing or requires actually running Dropbox. I ditched it for Mega and there's nothing in my Privacy tab about anything like this.

3. KALLT macrumors 601

It was posted a while back. I suspect that Dropbox uses this hack to re-enable the extension and add the Dropbox icon to the Finder toolbar and sidebar. In other words, pure convenience in exchange for security.

4. CrickettGrrrl thread starter macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

It's essentially a large back door into a Mac.

Deleting the /Library/DropboxHelperTools files and removing DB from the Security & Privacy/Accessibility apps list still allows Dropbox to function as one would expect. What's very troubling is DB's less than ethical sql hacks to gain root privilege & their spoofed password request box.

5. Cole Slaw macrumors 6502a

Cole Slaw

I don't like this, so I got rid of DropBox altogether.
    Sneaky. :mad:

6. WilliamG macrumors G3

To be fair, for some reason Smashtunes, MacID, Steam and Diablo 3 also had check marks enabled in my Accessibility settings. Wassup with that?

7. KALLT macrumors 601

If you don’t know, then you should ask the developers. These apps have effectively the same controls as you have using keyboard and mouse/trackpad, among other things. You should try revoking these permissions and see if these programs still work normally. I suspect that MacID legitimately needs this access.

8. CrickettGrrrl thread starter macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

Yes, I followed the steps to remove Dropbox from Accessibility, thought about it for a day or two & read several more articles, then removed Dropbox completely from 3 of my computers. Dropbox is very shady.

9. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.