Dropbox Shutting Down Mailbox and Carousel in Early 2016

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 7, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Dropbox has announced that it will be shutting down popular email and photo sharing apps Mailbox and Carousel on February 26, 2016 and March 31, 2016 respectively.

Dropbox originally acquired Mailbox in March 2013, and launched Carousel in April 2014. The company says it will be communicating directly with users of both apps in the coming days.

Mailbox users will no longer be able to sign in starting February 26, and Dropbox will disable and delete "Auto-swipe" patterns, return "Snoozed" emails to inboxes and delete all email drafts on that day. Mailbox has posted a FAQ to assist users with the transition.

Carousel timeline photos will remain available in Dropbox, and an export tool will be released early next year to save conversations or shared albums. In the meantime, photos within shared albums can be saved to Dropbox directly from the Carousel app. Carousel has posted a FAQ to help users with the transition.

Dropbox:
    Mailbox:
    Carousel:
    Dropbox users who earned bonus space for using Mailbox or Carousel will retain that storage.

Article Link: Dropbox Shutting Down Mailbox and Carousel in Early 2016

2. rfahey79 macrumors member

This really sucks. I use the Mailbox app daily. I'll really miss how easily i could clean up my inbox its a wonderful app

3. Mascots macrumors 68000

Mascots

Bummer.

I've used Mailbox since the day my beta invite was accepted. I'll be sad to have to migrate back to Apple Mail.

4. TMRJIJ macrumors 68040

TMRJIJ

5. nolankvn macrumors member

nolankvn

uhhh... and I just started using Mailbox.

I really just want a simple mail app like mail.app to work with gmail. Why? Why! Blah.

6. iphone7166 macrumors newbie

7. jgallant1990 macrumors newbie

Agreed with above posters - really annoying that Mailbox is shutting down, fundamentally changed the way I use email.

Since the Mac beta, it's been my default app, although there's been a lot of grief on the forums in recent weeks as the app has got more buggy with each release - so really, this closure doesn't come as a surprise.

FWIW - Spark app on iPhone is a good replacement - more powerful, less minimal. Coming to Mac soon and iPad sooner, have joined their beta program.

8. agsystems macrumors 6502a

same here...it is extremely difficult to move people from the default option. Even when I had it installed by instinct I would always open mail.app. Besides I don't know how they were expected to make money on this.

9. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Mass exodus to CloudMagic in 3, 2, 1...

10. mivara macrumors regular

mivara

Sad news! I can't say that it comes a surprise though. The beta version for Mac has been a joke all along and the communication has been non-existent for the last couple of months.

Now I'm on the lookout for an alternative on both iOS and OS X. Darrrrrn.

11. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Inbox is pretty dang close.

I migrated to it when it came out, to eliminate security issue of giving yet another middleman access. Google is bad enough :(

12. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

Love Dropbox and use it everyday. I tried Mailbox briefly any never really cared for it. I never tried Carousel as it wasn't anything of interest to me.

Glad the core of Dropbox is sticking around though.

13. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

Brutal. Mailbox is my go-to for my gmail account. It's been nice to make sure all my emails are dealt with and has made email much more efficient.

I think this is the first time I've been directly affected by a takeover/shutdown scenario. That and Songza being discontinued in January.

14. nolankvn macrumors member

nolankvn

Their service is unrivaled though. They should have listened to Jobs when he said they're a feature and not a product.

15. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

Why is that?

16. HackerJL macrumors regular

I used mailbox and loved it, really did, until we moved to exchange, which was forever listed as 'coming soon'. So this isn't a shock to me, it wasn't moving.

17. retrocool macrumors newbie

retrocool

18. magiic macrumors regular

magiic

This is super disappointing. Mailbox is fantastic on iPhone.

19. iphone7166 macrumors newbie

Very true. Now they are betting on Dropbox Paper, but it's really hard to stand out among established names like Trello, Evernote, Asana, Slack and many others.

20. desmond2046 macrumors regular

desmond2046

I have been using the mailbox app since the beta version and loved it.
    I see this happening... The mailbox app has not been updated at all for months and is not coming to the Apple Watch. In the mean while, the Outlook for iOS is getting better with exchange support, and an awesome Watch app. So I switched to outlook two months ago and got used to it immediately.

Still very sad to see mailbox gone...

21. sza Suspended

Their target market is individual users not the enterprise. Most of people don't pay for the extra storage.

22. AlekNovkovski macrumors newbie

Whilte this is bad news, there is some good news as well!

Google recently plagiarized and pretty much copied mailbox, creating their own clone called "inbox"... It's very similar.

23. theshoehorn macrumors 6502

And Dropbox account has been deleted. Thanks a lot for nothing Dropbox!

24. MacLC macrumors 6502

That sentence could make a chapter in an MBA-level textbook. A lot of CEOs don't get the difference when it applies to their own features.

25. 0970373 Suspended

If only they would add email alias support :( It's a beautiful app though.

Their refusal to add tiers between free 2GB and $10/month of 1TB has always been a bad decision IMO. I would have paid for something in the middle.