Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dragonmount

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Dropbox is a service company, providing cloud solutions. They are not as good at Apps as they are at services.

This seems like a product of the fall of Applications on phones.

hemanwomanhater

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
The timing on this is incredible. I literally was on the Mailbox blog about an hour ago wondering what the hell progress had been made for the Mac version (which is basically unusable in El Capitan). Downloaded Postbox as a possible replacement and found it still wasn't as good as Mailbox :(

Super bummed about this. I've been Mailbox since day one and it really did change the way I work with email. CloudMagic is pretty good but not the same.

I used Carousel for a while but wound up ditching it due to storage space limitations. Not willing to pay $10/mo for the small amount of storage I actually need.

Not sure if Dropbox is in trouble or if they just want to refocus. They should really reconsider their pricing strategy, probably too late to join any larger company now.

EDIT: In conclusion: RIP my inbox.

Last edited:
Reactions: smizzle

timmi20

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2010
Arizona
This is not good, I love the mailbox app and have been through at least 5 other apps that do not even come close.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
This is hilarious.

I never got Mailbox to work. Why? It requires access to "All Mail" in Gmail/IMAP. I keep that turned off. I can use Outlook, Windows Mail, Thunderbird, iOS and Android Mail without it, so why would I enable it for one client?

There was so much hype for Mailbox, even a waiting list. I got it, couldn't use it, and now they are shutting it down. Ha! I guess I didn't miss anything special.

Reactions: ron7624

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
Didn't they just wish now that Apple will try to buy them again? I guess it's too late now. I still used them but not the paid version, I do like it on occasional use. But since then I move all my sync app to iCloud. I only use Dropbox if somebody request copy of the photos I took for certain events. Other than that that's pretty much it and it's convenient to have the free version. I really don't understand when they refused Apple's offer. I was thinking they might be into something bigger but it's never been clear to me. I still really do hope they can do something more about it. I don't know how they do it but I wish them luck.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Their service is unrivaled though. They should have listened to Jobs when he said they're a feature and not a product.

That sentence could make a chapter in an MBA-level textbook. A lot of CEOs don't get the difference when it applies to their own features.

In other news - not every company wants to be bought and instead, go their own way. Personally, I couldn't be happier that Dropbox didn't get acquired.

Reactions: Toltepeceno

hemanwomanhater

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
This is hilarious.

I never got Mailbox to work. Why? It requires access to "All Mail" in Gmail/IMAP. I keep that turned off. I can use Outlook, Windows Mail, Thunderbird, iOS and Android Mail without it, so why would I enable it for one client?

There was so much hype for Mailbox, even a waiting list. I got it, couldn't use it, and now they are shutting it down. Ha! I guess I didn't miss anything special.
omg super hilarious.

ignatius345

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2015
I dropped Mailbox a bit ago because it was a bit buggy and hadn't been updated in forever -- now I know why.

Messed with Spark a bit, but weirdly have been using the iOS Outlook app, which is surprisingly good.

Revearti

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2011
Why is that?

I question their future as well. They are definitely just a feature to me, and I've never needed to pay for it. This can't be good news for them because I'm sure the majority of their users are using their free storage for everything they need.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
No loss, at least for me. I didn't know Dropbox even had email or photo sharing. I only use it for online file storage. Their other products are probably in the minority in terms of the amount of people that use them. Makes sense.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
I dropped Mailbox a bit ago because it was a bit buggy and hadn't been updated in forever -- now I know why.

Messed with Spark a bit, but weirdly have been using the iOS Outlook app, which is surprisingly good.

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprized at how well Outlook works on my iPhone too. Started to use it months back, and it hasn't ticked me off enough to stop using it, so that's good.

Reactions: yatyisam

khaosuser

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2015
Works perfectly fine here. The only thing missing is sharing support like Dropbox has. But I'm not "hip" in that I bash Apple's online services - I think they are great and work well.

I'm not saying it because it's "hip". Apple two biggest weaknesses are cloud services (including photo management) and Siri. iCloud Drive was a step in the right direction but Dropbox is still far ahead when it comes to integration with other services.

kironin

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2004
Texas
This is awful news! This really, really SUCKS!!! I've using Mailbox to deal with gmail on my iphone for a long time now. Mailbox, just admit you don't want to support the app than putting out the complete B.S. !!!!

ozxmin

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2015
The Mailbox app for Mac had been unusable some months ago, no fix was issued, no activity on twitter. Thats when I saw the writing on the wall.

Now we have to move on, does anybody know an email client alternative for OS X and iOS?

Reactions: mivara

RogerWilco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
As this latest version of the web economy falls into the hole, companies like Dropbox (there are dozens more) find that cash flow and profits actually do matter. Watch as all the "free" stuff is eliminated, their user base shrinks, and desperation sets in. The coming Sillycon Valley collapse will be epic.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
So predictable. How often has a takeover of a promising startup ever resulted in a continuous and satisfying experience for existing customers? To me, every app takeover will inevitably result in a bad product. It was the case with Sparrow and Mailbox and will be the case with Sunrise and Wunderlist too.

That's how they all work on iOS. Mailbox, Boxer, Outlook, Inbox, CloudMagic. Apple makes it impossible for third-party email clients to run on the background, which is why they use their own servers as relays to send push notifications.

itguy06

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2006
I'm not saying it because it's "hip". Apple two biggest weaknesses are cloud services (including photo management) and Siri. iCloud Drive was a step in the right direction but Dropbox is still far ahead when it comes to integration with other services.

I just don't see it. My photos go from my phone to my 2 Macs flawlessly. Even to a Windows PC. I put files in iCloud and they are available anywhere I can get a web browser. They get sync'ed to the same computers. Conflicts get resolved manually. The only things it is missing is local sync over LAN like Dropbox and sharing. Other than that it works fine. Apps are slowly working with iCloud Drive too.

Siri works better for me than Google Now ever did on my Galaxy S5. The integration with Siri is amazing.

Reactions: linuslh1996
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.