Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lellis2k

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2007
Leeds, UK
Welll, this is a new record for me, I dropped my 6 Plus from waist-height to a gravel path,
it hit the floor on the corner of the official Apple leather case and transformed into this:

e6eIteP.jpg

Can't find anyone selling replacements screens to fix it myself so looks like an expensive trip to the Apple store, anyone know how much it costs in £?

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
Welll, this is a new record for me, I dropped my 6 Plus from waist-height to a gravel path,
it hit the floor on the corner of the official Apple leather case and transformed into this:

Can't find anyone selling replacements screens to fix it myself so looks like an expensive trip to the Apple store, anyone know how much it costs in £?

Ouch, that sucks!

I've seen some threads and it seems like glass replacement is about ~$109 or ~$129, I forget which one, via Apple. So, I imagine just do the currency conversion to GBP for that? There was one person that got an entire replacement unit for the glass replacement fee.

bob24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
Last edited:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Wow, sorry to hear you've dropped it :confused:

It'll have to be an Apple repair or the warranty will be void. I hope the screens are not as expensive as they were on the iPhone 5 when it first came out! My iPhone 6 is in a £2 silicone case off ebay at the moment. The Apple staff may take pity on you as long as you lay on the sob story. Good luck and let us know what they say :)

jon3543

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2010

Nope.

bakron1

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2010
AppleCare plus for 99.00 is the best money you will ever spend.

That would only cost you a 79.00 fee and you get a new phone.

bob24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
AppleCare plus for 99.00 is the best money you will ever spend.

That would only cost you a 79.00 fee and you get a new phone.

Not sure it is in this particular case. If Apple are indeed fixing it for 106 GBP as advertised on their website, it will end up being cheaper than the Apple Care subscription and the excess fee for the replacement.

Still good to have for peace of mind and more expensive repairs, but not cheaper in the case of a single incident like this one.

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
No need for Apple care here in this instance as it would actually have cost him more. 99$+ 79$ is more than the screen replacement fee. Also, as the phone just came out, the Apple Store will not have replacement glass at this time to repair. He will just get a new unit anyways. And what is more, often times early on, Apple stores will replace without even charging as a one time courtesy thing. They are well known for doing this after a new product release, usually because Apple looks at and studies these devices in particular to see how they broke and try to make things better in the future.

Now if you do it again....well that one will be on you. :p

nilart

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2010
London, UK
Not sure it is in this particular case. If Apple are indeed fixing it for 106 GBP as advertised on their website, it will end up being cheaper than the Apple Care subscription and the excess fee for the replacement.

Still good to have for peace of mind and more expensive repairs, but not cheaper in the case of a single incident like this one.

Cheaper without Applecare unless he plans on dropping it every 48h :p (sorry, j/k). Anyway, Apple used to let you get Applecare within the first year no matter what, so he can always get it now and repair for a reduced price.

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
No need for Apple care here in this instance as it would actually have cost him more. 99$+ 79$ is more than the screen replacement fee. Also, as the phone just came out, the Apple Store will not have replacement glass at this time to repair. He will just get a new unit anyways. And what is more, often times early on, Apple stores will replace without even charging as a one time courtesy thing. They are well known for doing this after a new product release, usually because Apple looks at and studies these devices in particular to see how they broke and try to make things better in the future.

Now if you do it again....well that one will be on you. :p

You're assuming the body, especially the corner he dropped the phone on, is able to have a screen sealed to it.

These new curved edges of glass meeting the aluminum look like they may be a little less tolerant of any damage allowing them to have a screen replaced.

OP. Maybe, just maybe, if you show them the phone was killed with one of their cases on it, they will help you out with the pricing.

Good luck.

TwistedPain

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2011
Blue Springs, MO

Hopefully you bought your phone using a credit card that offers accidental damage protection for the first few months. If you're not sure if your credit card offers it, hop on their website and check it out. Many American Express cards give you that benefit. In which case you'll be out just shipping.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.