Dropped in water.. still working fine though?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mclide, Mar 21, 2011.

1. mclide macrumors newbie

I dropped my phone in running water for about 2 seconds (if that).

Texting works fine. Data works fine. Phone calls work fine. Volume works fine.

The only problem I am getting is "Accessory Cannot be Optimized on this device" (or something to that effect). Before, it was happening once every few minutes.. then went to every few seconds... now back to every few minutes.

I submerged the phone in rice now.

I'm pretty sure 99% of the phone is fine.. but what can I do about that last part? I've turned the phone on and off a few times.. Still alive and kicking.

(I realize I could have looked at other threads, but my situation is a lot less severe than what else is posted.)

2. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Make sure it is switched off and leave it in the rice for a week.

3. mltaylor macrumors regular

That accessory problem you are referring to more than likely won't go away.

I'll make a long story short here. My older 3gs was in my hands as I threw up one night. After that night I had that accessory problem. I called apple and then brought it in to them where they gave me a new phone. I was lucky because the water sensors didn't show they had been wet but yet I did get liquid in the dock port. I had that problem for a few months until I got a new one.

Also because my phone though it was connected to something most of the time it failed to ring or at least the text tones didnt work.

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Returning a device you vomited on has sets a new standard for the most dick move you could pull.

5. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

why? i would do exactly the same thing.....but then again, i would make sure the phone wasnt in my hands if i was being sick lol.

OP, check if the water sensors are tripped. If not, take it into an Apple store.

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

So explain to me how Apple in any way should be responsible for replacing your phone in that situation.

7. hssky97 macrumors regular

You may be safe, the same thing happened to me, but, after the first day my digitizer wasn't working, then a week later my device's display wouldn't turn on. So, I plugged the device into iTunes...nada. I put it in DFU mode and then recognized it just fine...but the display still didn't work. All I had to to do was buy a new digitizer and a new battery. Works fine now...just keep a close watch on it.

8. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Because Big Steve can afford it.

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I'm with Interstella5555 on this one. That's just nasty. It's not Apple's fault that your phone broke because you vomited on it.

10. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

If your phone is jailbroken, go to Cydia and purchase "popup blocker" for $0.99. You can block this from popping up and you will not see it again.

11. mltaylor macrumors regular

I don't feel bad for exchanging my phone at all. It was still under warranty (that I paid for) and Apple isn't just going to put it back on the shelf. Warranties are bought for a reason and that is one of them like it or not.

12. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I should definitely come to your house and steal your phone, tv, and car then. Clearly you can afford it. Ignoring the fact that deceptive and [/b]fraudulent[/b] behavior like this is why prices continue to rise and legitimate users have a harder time getting help with real problems. But hey, why should you care, the earth clearly revolves around you.

13. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Hmmm, so if I break my ankle when I'm drunk jumping off your roof, I clearly ave grounds to sue you, right? That's what insurance is for, right? Or how about having a friend steal your car and destroy it so you can collect the insurance money? That's what insurance is for. What your describing is in no way different from these examples, what losers and low-lifes like you don't take into acount is your personal responsibility for your possessions. Why should I have to pay more for my next phone because you're a clumsily criminal who can't handle their liquor? Also show me exactly where in the iPhone warranty where liquid damage or sheer stupidity is covered. Hint- you can't, because it's not there. Spend the 200 to get a replacement.

14. mltaylor macrumors regular

You are clearly stated things that are fraudulent. Insurance isn't for taking someone to court. They checked all the sensors and they were fine so clearly they felt I deserved a new phone and seeing as I paid for the warranty which covered the problem they found, I do not feel bad at all.

Get off your high ground and realize there are legitimate reasons people have insurance. Next time you get in a car accident just tell the insurance company to keep there check because this was clearly at your own fault and the insurance company has no reason to owe you for your mistake.

15. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Funny, you mentioned "warranty" initially, which Apple wouldn't cover. If you actually have 3rd party insurance, go for it, but that was never mentioned or discussed in any of your posts.

16. shelbymayer macrumors regular

OP I sent mine through the washing machine in a pair of pants (i know very stupid on my part) and it wouldn't do anything. I figured it was toast and went and got a 3GS (it was time for my upgrade). Well like 6 months later I was going to sell it on ebay for parts and I figured lets see what happens when I plug it in. Sure enough the battery had completely drained. Once it charged up I used it for about 3 months to make sure but everything worked great and my wife is still using it almost 2 years later! :p (I didn't put it in rice or anything...just put it in my desk drawer where it sat for like 6 months)

I guess I was just lucky haha

17. mltaylor macrumors regular

I mentioned the insurance because you did. My phone was covered under the AppleCare warranty. They checked it like they always do. Ran some tests and checked the water sensors and then handed me a new one (or refurb, whatever they give you in times like those)

18. infidel69 macrumors regular

You'd do the same thing in his situation I know I would. Apple's sitting on billions of dollars they can afford it.

19. Frankydan100 macrumors regular

Frankydan100

I dropped my 3gs twice from a 3 storey building and it once got half submerged in water too. Still works absolutely fine.

20. mltaylor macrumors regular

Curious if you did this on purpose lol. I also had a phone that I dropped in a storm that white screen for a few days then started working fine. Sometimes I guess we just get lucky

21. Frankydan100 macrumors regular

Frankydan100

No all accidental, but I was pretty intoxicated at the time, which might explain things.

22. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

That's not the freaking point.

23. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

For those that are advocating that the "got an replacement on a vomit-on iPhone" is a dick move, I totally agree with you. But, ultimately, there's no way to have him or her and the rest of the people like him/her see this point of view. People like them will always be like that and that's just how the world is sadly. And if we try to play the moral/that's just not right card, we get the "get off of your high-horse" statement. Let them do what they want and let them keep justifying their means.

These threads always end up like this.

As for the OP, liquid damage doesn't necessarily present issues initially. It may take a while, especially for corrosion to set in. Have the Applestore check if there is internal damage. From here, do what you will.

24. cubedge macrumors newbie

iPhone

Apple's iPhone 3G arrived on Friday with a bevy of new enterprise-ready features, including Exchange support, business-grade security, and third-party applications powered by an SDK. As with the first iPhone, we waited in line, bought our phone, signed an AT&T contract, and promptly began to crack open the case.

iPhone system

25. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

Not everyone is you though... And not everyone is like the vomit-replacement guy either...

There is no doubt Apple has billions of dollars and can absorb this, but if everyone is doing it, then it may be a cost issue. To me, it's just like the piracy issue. I don't want to buy Windows OS so I'm just going to download it. Microsoft's sitting on billions of dollars they can afford it. I don't want to buy Photoshop so I'm going to dl it. Adobe's sitting on billions dollars they can afford it. ^_^

If you counter this, remember piracy is not theft. =) http://tinyurl.com/4zvc28h