Dropped iPad. What can I do?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by pchipchip, Oct 22, 2011.

1. pchipchip macrumors regular

I recently tripped with my iPad in my bag and it dented the corner of my iPad. I got my iPad less than a month ago so is there a warranty that covers that or anything? Let me know.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

3. WillWill macrumors newbie

4. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

why would you expect that cosmetic damage caused by the owner would be covered by the standard warranty? it doesn't happen for electronics.

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

If you run your new car into a tree do you expect Ford to replace or repair it under warranty?

6. iPhone 7 macrumors member

You dented it and now you're hoping someone's going to say "take it to the genius bar. They might fix it for free since you've had it for such a short period time." The you take that as your cue to prance into the apple store to hold them responsible for your butterfingers and expect a free replacement.

7. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Go easy guys. He isn't 'expecting,' he's asking. The original poster just wants to know: is it covered.

The correct response is: Sorry, Apple does not cover accidental damage of an iPad 2.

That's all we need to say.

8. Annerz macrumors regular

aw..sorry to hear that. maybe you could try to sell it and get money toward buying a new one

9. blesio macrumors regular

If you jammed a hammer in your Tv's screen do you think they would repair it under warranty? I don't get people like you, do you think that warranty covers clumsiness? Do you know what mechanical damage is? You've got a dent on your iPad? Be happy that it's only a dent, it could have been a broken display...

10. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Actually, you could always buy a case to cover the damage and prevent further issues...hopefully.

11. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Get a case for it that covers the dent. Eventually you'll forget it's there.

12. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Accidents happen and if your iPad 2 still works, that's all that counts. The dent is superficial. If it bothers you, maybe look for a case that will cover it.

13. Annerz macrumors regular

that's a good idea then you don't have to look at the dent all the time.

14. pchipchip thread starter macrumors regular

I didn't expect it to be in the warranty an I don't expect apple to fix it. I am just wondering what I can do about it. Please don't criticize me. I was just asking a question.

15. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

Many people have posted here that if you make an appointment with a genius in the Apple store, they might help you. Tell them what happened, ask if it can be repaired, they sometimes surprise you and replace it at no charge.

I have a friend that got her iPad replaced at no charge. The screen was shattered, she told them she dropped it and would like to know if it could be repaired. They told her it was her lucky day and gave her a new one.

Just be polite, friendly and honest.

16. JerZyT28 macrumors regular

The dude was just asking a question...but as others stated, best bet is to find a cover for it...I must say though, to have your iPad unprotected for this long, you sir, are bold :D

17. iPhone 7 macrumors member

What could you do about it? What did you think you could do? Learn machining to undent it?

18. neild1 macrumors newbie

These type of accidents are usually covered by his credit card insurance if the iPad was purchased with a credit card.

19. blesio macrumors regular

Maybe read your first post again. You just negated what you said in the first post....

20. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

sure, there have been posts where shattered displays/damaged to the point of non-functional tablets were replaced by Apple's largesse by a sympathetic genius's discretion, but a small cosmetic thing like this would be a much less likely candidate for them to feel utterly sorry for him.

but yeah, it might happen. i'd say save those freebies for those people who really need it. the guy's tablet is still working and get a cover to better protect it and hide the dent.

21. stev3n macrumors 6502

I've heard about people using Square Trade for warranties but I've never dealt with them.

22. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Yes, but you should have bought it (extended warranty) when you bought the iPad. Often they include a no-questions-asked replacement clause for user damage.

As for the dent your best option is to sell the iPad on ebay. Admit the dent in the ad. Then take whatever you get and make it a downpayment on a new iPad. You'll have a new iPad, and also know exactly how much that dent cost you.

23. thesiren macrumors 6502a

thesiren

it's a dent.

I don't make a thread on the hummer H3 forums asking random internet strangers who have zero affiliation with GM what they think I should do about the stain I made from spilled coffee on my carpets.

it's a cosmetic issue that is entirely your fault. live with it.

24. Bleeptone macrumors newbie

I got here through a google search because I have the same problem. I can't believe how patronising if not aggressive some of the replies have been, considering the op just asked a simple and polite question. Angry geeks fail. :rolleyes:

25. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

Nerd rage.