dropped iphone4 in toilet

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xalex, Aug 3, 2010.

1. xalex macrumors newbie

picked it up in less than a second :(, i wasnt able to turn it off, the screen was on but it was just black, now its off. but im freaking out cause it just started doing a ticking sound!? exactly like a watch, does anyone have an idea what that is, the water sensors on the outside werent tripped, no idea on the inside. advice?

2. redbotsoftware macrumors regular

Do not turn it on. Turn it completely off, wipe if off with a cloth and let it dry in the sun, or use a hair dryer. Wait a few days so it's completely dry. I've had a phone work after this, although it was a long time ago, Motorola Nextel phone. Good Luck.

3. hoogen macrumors regular

hoogen

i wouldnt use a hair dryer, it could damage the phone more than it is, put it in a bag or rice

4. richard371 macrumors 68000

Did you wipe the data before you flushed it?

Anyway I hear you can put it in in a sealed bag with uncooked rice for a couple days to dry it out then try it again.

5. xalex thread starter macrumors newbie

any idea what the ticking sound is? lasted for like 20 seconds, just like a watch ticking

6. orange42 macrumors 6502a

Haha...

I read turning it off and putting it in rice for a few days gives it a chance.

7. OGDaniel macrumors 6502a

OGDaniel

Pray, friend. Pray to your god. Hope everything works out :(

8. xalex thread starter macrumors newbie

i tried to turn it off, failed cause it wouldnt slide, then the screen just turned black, i left it like that, thought it was off, i put it in a bag of rice, 40 mins later the screen was on but all black, no idea wth that is, it lasted like that for about an hour and a half (the phone got really hot on the top right corner while this happened) then the screen just turned off. havent touched it since.

9. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Don't know what the sound is, but I recommend that you turn it completely off, get a zip lock bag, fill it with dry rice, and pack your iPhone in there for at least 2 or 3 days. This will allow the rice enough time to absorb most of the moisture, and hopefully cut down on the amount of damage that the water will cause.... Good luck. :)

Edit: I see from your post before mine that you did the rice thing.

10. jayo123456 macrumors regular

was there sh1it in the toilet?

:eek:

screw the iPhone, u touchd sh1it bro.

11. xalex thread starter macrumors newbie

no but im pretty sure i still would have picked it up

12. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

The clicking sound sounds like autofocus part of main camera. If you press down the home button and hold button down at the same time for 10 to 15 seconds and the phone will turn off completely.

13. timmy2 macrumors member

washed a cell phone once--

We had a cell phone go through a full washing cycle.

I opened the case and let it dry, it worked after that.

There are sensors inside that show that it has been wet, so you can't return it.

14. organsoup macrumors member

make that a couple of weeks. it varies im sure, but i had an old lg phone that i tried after a couple of days and it didnt work. i assumed it was fried but left it in the rice for another week and a half and when i tried it again it actually worked.

15. chim9999 macrumors regular

chim9999

you only left it in the rice for 40 minutes? i would definitely leave it off and in the bag for at least 2 or 3 days before trying it again.

off and in the bag.

16. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

You might try and drop it and crack the glass.

Maybe apple will replace it for $199.

17. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Rinse it in the highest grade rubbing alcohol you can quickly get your hands on. Then let it sit in a rubbing alcohol bath for a night. Then let it dry in rice for a few days.

^From experience.

18. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Not if the water sensors are triggered. :rolleyes:

19. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

Okay, as a slight aside, does anyone mind explaining how this problem is so common? I don't get how it happens so often; it seems like half the iPhone water damage cases are from toilets? Does everyone else just have really shallow pants pockets? Perhaps someone can tactfully explain the logistics of the situation.

20. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Texting while using the restroom. Checking a message or answering a call while in the restroom. There are many ways.

21. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

oops, my bad!

22. xalex thread starter macrumors newbie

well i was standing up and i was listening to music, set the iphone down on the counter next to the toilet, someone knocked on the door went to get it, forgot i had the earphones in, and the phone flew straight into the toilet. an actually uncommon way of it happening im sure.

23. nhlducks35 macrumors regular

TMI but I've had my phone slide out of my back pocket when bending to sit. Caught it before it fell in. Now I keep my phone on top of the toilet paper holder but once it slipped and almost went into the toilet. IMO if you've got your phone in the bathroom, there is a chance it will end up in the toilet.

24. parker770 macrumors member

+1 on the rice in the bag thing. 40 minutes is not gonna help at all.

Back when I first got a 3G, I fell into a lake with the phone in my pocket. It would not turn off, was calling all kinds of random people.... I thought it was toast. A friend suggested the rice method, so I gave it a shot. I left it in there for 5 or 6 days.

It worked perfectly for over a year afterward. It was as if it never even happened.

25. Oversoul macrumors member

I'm going to guess the iPhone has replaced the newspaper, magazine, or book as a time killer while, you know, people do their business.