Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fruitycups

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
Hi. I usually laugh at these "help me get over my drop" threads but now that i dropped mine, there not so funny any more. ironic :p

anyways, i dropped my 2011 macbook air on the carpet yesterday :(

theres no dents but it slightly made the top lid crooked.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/33/photo2qhx.jpg/
this the normal side. the black hinge is perfectly flush with aluminum

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/641/photo1kdx.jpg/
this is the side i think got damaged. as you can see, theres a space between the hinge and the aluminum. not only is there a space and uneven, the black part juts out a tad bit so when you run your finger from the aluminum to the hinge, you can feel it poke out.

also, on the right side of the magnetic latch part, the lid area is crooked meaning the bottom half slightly comes out more than the top part. aka its not fully flush. the left side is flush but the right is kind of crooked when you feel it. no visible damage but knowing its there bothers me. :/

i know theres nothing i can do but to accept it but im just venting out my frustration.

thanks guy.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Damaging your electronic devices just sucks in a major way. Even if it still works OK, you can't help looking at the boo-boo all the time.:(

I commiserate with you.:(

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
The title of your thread made me smile in one of those "Awwwww poor thing." kind of ways. That really sucks dude.

Inplosion

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2011
Sell it @ 50% of the retail price and get a new one.

I dropped my Nano long time ago(1st gen) and everytime I look at it, it just bothered me. So I sold it and got a new one.

Of course, you should consider if it's worth it, but for me; It was.

johnhurley

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
Hi. I usually laugh at these "help me get over my drop" threads but now that i dropped mine, there not so funny any more.

How does one drop a laptop exactly?

Sorry I just don't understand this basic concept. Mine gets put into a case each time it comes off a useable surface and stays in case until it comes back out next time.

Your machine sounds like it is ok so just think about changing your habits around a little maybe?

fruitycups

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011

Sorry I just don't understand this basic concept. Mine gets put into a case each time it comes off a useable surface and stays in case until it comes back out next time.

Your machine sounds like it is ok so just think about changing your habits around a little maybe?

thanks for kind words guys!

@johnhurley
this is the first time i've ever had an accident with my air.
it actually happened within my house. I was moving one room to another. It was dark and I forgot the printer cable was attached.
i only use the case when i travel, its too much of a hassle if i have to slap on a case everytime i move from the bedroom to kitchen :p

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011

I'm not sure if you're aware of this thing called Gravity. objects of sufficient mass will attract other objects unless another apposing force resists that force.

I guess in this case, some form of resistant force to gravity failed to operate.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
I'm not sure if you're aware of this thing called Gravity. objects of sufficient mass will attract other objects unless another apposing force resists that force.

I guess in this case, some form of resistant force to gravity failed to operate.

Damn those defective antigravity gloves! They get me everytime. :mad:

jouster

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Connecticut
Apple designed my '06 MacBook to fall to pieces without needing to be dropped. It's so true that they simplify the user experience!

johnhurley

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
I'm not sure if you're aware of this thing called Gravity.

Ahhhh ... well we democrats are aware of that mysterious force ... thanks.

Seriously though or semi seriously I have been carting around laptops since the days of the 20 pound compaq units.

Back then you had to exercise caution all the time ... not only to not damage the unit but to not lose a toe.

----------

It's called an accident. The OP doesn't need to hear from you.

Ahhhh ... I thought I was providing a little lite humor ... please feel free to scroll on by ...

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Ahhhh ... well we democrats are aware of that mysterious force ... thanks.

Seriously though or semi seriously I have been carting around laptops since the days of the 20 pound compaq units.

Back then you had to exercise caution all the time ... not only to not damage the unit but to not lose a toe.

I think the "accidents" we encounter today are because we're not hauling around 20lbs monstrosities anymore. Back then we were super carefull cause those machines cost $5000, and you weren't precariously placing them cause of the weight and size.

Today, they're so light, small and easy to put just about everywhere, that we DO put them just about everywhere, even if it's not the best place. and accidents happen

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Is there any chance it can be tapped back into shape? Perhaps it can be snapped back a little bit. I dropped my 2009 MacBook Air once, and while it still had a little crease, the Genius Bar was able to re-tighten the hinge so that it otherwise operated normally.

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2009
Russellville AR
I have never dropped a laptop ... something of a miracle considering how clumsy I am.

I well remember when a friend's child (now happily deceased) decided to drop a Matchbox toy on my aluminum PowerBook. The impact left a dent about the size of a dime.

I saw the damage, grabbed a digital camera, took photos and put the PowerBook on eBay ... just like that. I knew that I'd focus so much attention on the dent that keeping the machine seemed futile.

I know there are plenty of folks who can spend vast amounts of money on Apple art, then throw it into a backpack and care not at all when it suffers the arrows (and Matchbox toys) of outrageous fortune. I am not one of them ... my stuff has to look like it's new.

All that to say this: I feel your pain!

OliverOSX93

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Accrington
I have never dropped a laptop ... something of a miracle considering how clumsy I am.

I well remember when a friend's child (now happily deceased) decided to drop a Matchbox toy on my aluminum PowerBook. The impact left a dent about the size of a dime.

wasthe child suffering from a painful terminal illness or something?

fruitycups

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
Is there any chance it can be tapped back into shape? Perhaps it can be snapped back a little bit. I dropped my 2009 MacBook Air once, and while it still had a little crease, the Genius Bar was able to re-tighten the hinge so that it otherwise operated normally.

o.0 could you elaborate on that please?

i think the lid went crooked from the drop. luckily there isn't any dents or visible damage. just the crookedness that can be felt when looking for it. i was thinking that it would be a easy fix by just pounding it downwards (to even it) but i didn't want to risk a dent.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
I for one am quite surprised. I saw the title topic and was expecting to see a cracked/screwed up screen, broken components, or something similar. I'm surprised how well your Air held up! I under-estimated the toughness of the Air. I hope it works well and maybe you'll learn how to fix it?

johnhurley

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
i think the lid went crooked from the drop. luckily there isn't any dents or visible damage. just the crookedness that can be felt when looking for it. i was thinking that it would be a easy fix by just pounding it downwards (to even it) but i didn't want to risk a dent.

Seriously unless you know someone who is experienced in repairing/working with high tech aluminum that also contains a highly sensitive display panel contained inside it ... I would just leave it alone.

Almost anything tried hastily is probably going to make a minor and almost un-noticeable situation go south and perhaps go south in a major way.

Robyr

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2010
My couple week old, pristine, brand new MBA looks like this, in fact, you can slide the black plastic around. I don't think its damaged, dude.

Robyr

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2010
Also, you can tell it isn't a bent body or hinge because the screen is level and closed properly. I think you are imagining the damage and psyching yourself up.

doktordoris

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2009
Hi. I usually laugh at these "help me get over my drop" threads but now that i dropped mine, there not so funny any more. ironic :p

anyways, i dropped my 2011 macbook air on the carpet yesterday :(

theres no dents but it slightly made the top lid crooked.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/33/photo2qhx.jpg/
this the normal side. the black hinge is perfectly flush with aluminum

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/641/photo1kdx.jpg/
this is the side i think got damaged. as you can see, theres a space between the hinge and the aluminum. not only is there a space and uneven, the black part juts out a tad bit so when you run your finger from the aluminum to the hinge, you can feel it poke out.

also, on the right side of the magnetic latch part, the lid area is crooked meaning the bottom half slightly comes out more than the top part. aka its not fully flush. the left side is flush but the right is kind of crooked when you feel it. no visible damage but knowing its there bothers me. :/

i know theres nothing i can do but to accept it but im just venting out my frustration.

thanks guy.

If the damage really is as slight as it looks just sell the machine second hand and buy a nice new one, caveat emptor after all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.