Dropped my MBPr not even 2 ft, all hell broke loose.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FatGuy007, Sep 4, 2013.

1. FatGuy007 macrumors 6502

So I came back from work, la la la la, editing videos with my earpods, la la la, just remembered I had some good swiss chocolate in the fridge, put my 15" aside and boom, remember i still had my earpods on my ear and it pulled the laptop probably dropped around 2ft. Why do these damn earpods stick into my ear so well. So anyway, I thought everything was fine since it landed on the back, no contact with screen or on the front, so I went to get my swiss choco. So I came back with my choco and start editing again, something felt very wrong with the left part of my trackpad, it doesn't click at all, no sound heard, but it still registers the clicks with taps or hard clicks. Right side works normally. So anyway (again), the next day (today) the fan up to 5000rpm since I was encoding using handbrake, and it has this really strange sound, very very silent but very very annoying. It goes like derrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr (and the r's don't stop) but with a higher noise. Very discrete but so damn annoying. Even when the fan went back to 2500rpm, the noise is even louder, I'm typing on it and I'm going slowly insane with my half-broken trackpad and the messed up noise. Applecare expired August :( Can't get into this damn laptop because I have no fitting screws. Can't buy repair on this laptop because I'm saving up on something special for someone special ;)

Edit (1 minute after post): Wow this noise is extremely annoying, extremely subtle but making my ears feel num. I want bang my head on the wall.

2. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

I don't have any advice for you (Not like you could do anything anyway since you don't have the tools), I just find it interesting that you think a laptop dropping "not even 2ft" should be no big deal.

That's like saying you crashed your car "not even going 10mph" and then complaining about damage. ;) AppleCare doesn't cover physical damage anyway, so that wouldn't have helped.

Sounds like maybe one of the fans is making contact with something...hard to tell from your description.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

It's physically damaged. Of course there will be consequences. Especially the trackpad which is made of glass...

4. ehfz macrumors member

5. FatGuy007 thread starter macrumors 6502

It was because my whole floor is carpet, it's not hard marble or concrete. And the hard clicking came back for about 3 clicks and goes back to the soft clicking. And yes, I think you're right, it is the fan, if it goes over 3000rpm you can easily hear the noise. I think something in my laptop is angled incorrectly.

6. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Not sure about the gist of your post. You don't ask any questions. If your message is to illustrate the inherent dangers of gravity combined with carelessness then point taken I guess.

7. raptor402 macrumors 6502

Hi,

@EHFZ is right. You should buy the cheap screw driver set. Just open the bottom case and see if the fan can be repaired. If not, a new fan (maybe single, maybe a set) will cost you around $30. Try eBay.

As for the trackpad, I'm extremely sorry to say so, but you're screwed. The rMBP has the battery glued (tightly) on to the case above the trackpad. There's no way to access it without tearing the whole thing apart. You'll just have to live with it.

Also, don't attempt repairs unless you're sure what you're doing; trust me, you'll regret it.

Again, I'm sorry to hear about your laptop.

Regards
    Raptor

8. FatGuy007 thread starter macrumors 6502

Update: So wow, this is wierd, I had an idea, I brought the computer to my bedroom and I noticed how I dropped it yesterday, it dropped to the left. So I dropped it to the right on my soft carpet and bed no more than 6 inches-1ft away. No more noises and track pad is doing better (still pretty uneven though) :D. Almost good as new!

9. FlatlinerG macrumors 6502a

FlatlinerG

Who even comes up with an idea like that? I mean, I'm glad that it worked and all, but that's like saying, "I fell and broke my right arm, and it was really painful, so I fell on the other side and broke my other arm. Now my right arm doesn't hurt as much".

10. raptor402 macrumors 6502

Well, a unique solution, but that congratulations on your successful fix.

Regards
    Raptor

11. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

You do realize that instead of potentially causing even more damage that you could've just tried gently tweaking the case by hand. You could've easily caused more damage, such as a cracked screen or logic board, by doing what you did.

I must ask, do you partake in the smoking of herbs? Or...what exactly causes such a though process? :confused:

12. ggoerl macrumors regular

I declare this the funniest thread that I've read today!

13. jetlitheone macrumors 6502a

Lol wow as if the rMBP isn't 1400 or anything...

14. collinmac macrumors member

my nose hurts now, i think it was from face palming so hard.

thanks a lot!

15. iPhonesandMacs macrumors regular

If there is no physical dents or dings or damage on the outside of the laptop, I would just take it to apple. They will look at it and inspect for a drop, if they don't suspect anything, they will repair as necessary if it is still under warranty.

16. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

I guess you have ADD and didn't read far enough into his post...

17. iPhonesandMacs, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2013

iPhonesandMacs macrumors regular

I think you didn't read enough. Not one place does he say there is dents or damage. All he said was half of the trackpad doesn't click. There's an adjustment on the trackpad, and people often bring their MacBooks in for adjustment when it doesn't click fully. As far as warranty being up in august, apple often goes above and beyond especially if it only expired less than a month ago. But it looks like he fixed it so doesn't matter anyway.

18. Laco macrumors 6502

Wow. Ive been on this message board for a very long time and yours is the most amusing post I have ever read.

19. Ann P macrumors 68020

He is out of warranty.

Congrats to the OP to his solution, lol.

20. iPhonesandMacs macrumors regular

Yeah apple often goes above and beyond especially if it only expired less than a month ago. But it looks like he fixed it so doesn't matter anyway.

21. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

I think what we all want to know though, is, how was the choco?

22. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

Just because they sometimes do doesn't mean they always do nor does it mean anyone should have the expectation that any company, including Apple, should cover anything under warranty once the contract has expired. Companies often do good-will repairs outside of warranty but that's if they want to be nice, not because they have to.

I suspect if the OP took it in to an Apple store he would let it slip that he dropped his MBP and now it doesn't work right since, clearly, he's not operating on all his brain cells.

The fan making noise due to making contact with something inside along with the broken trackpad would clearly indicate physical damage. Doesn't take a genius to figure that out (No pun intended). :)

Hopefully the OP is a little more careful next time and thinks things through before becoming another one of Darwin's examples.

23. iPhonesandMacs macrumors regular

Lol never said they would do it, sometimes they will. If an apple store is close, might as well try.

24. iStiggy macrumors member

Finally someone is brave enough to fix things my way! If it falls and breaks, hit it again and problem is usually solved. I would take it to the Apple Store and ask them to open it to ensure everything looks okay.

25. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Lol at this, personally I usually would agree with the group on this one (and I somewhat do), but hitting it the opposite way has worked for me in the past. Tried and true since CRT monitors! :p

But again, try taking it to apple and asking them to check it out. Seriously.