Resolved Dual boot CONFIRMED for new Apricorn Velocity DUO X2!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by m4v3r1ck, Mar 31, 2014.

1. DJGK macrumors newbie

Hey mate. Yes, I've already done that with no success. I have been in dialogue with Eric from Apricorn who do his own system tests for days with Mac Pro 3,1 and Duo with Win 7 and Win 10 and could not get a consistent successful result. However he had no issues with the Mac Pro 5,1 booting correctly. He also said that other are still having issues booting from this card on 3,1's.

I don't know what you guys are doing on your Mac Pro 3,1's to get it to boot. I'd love to know.

My intention is to have 2 x SSD's on the DUO. One with OSX Mavericks or Sierra, and the other with Windows 10 or 7...whatever will boot and work reliably every time. On a 3,1 system. Any takers who have done this successfully on this exact system model ??

2. Auggie macrumors regular

Auggie

This may not be timely for you, but I be will getting Duo in a month or so. I can test it in my 3,1 with El Cap (supported Apple OS on 3,1) or High Sierra (unsupported) and Win 7 if you haven't been able to get such a setup functioning.

3. m4v3r1ck thread starter macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

Yes, the Apricorn service is great.

Just right before typing this post I swapped the SOLO x2 (MAC OS X 10.10.5) SSD in my cMP 3.1 on my cMP 5.1 DUO x2. Removed the SOLO and installed the DUO (cMP 5.1) in my cMP 3.1. Booted just fine!

Booting Mac OS X 10.10 and Windows 8/10 has always been my setup on the DUO, both in my cMP 3.1 and cMP 5.1 without any issues. I do hope Apricorn will be able to tackle your boot issues.

Cheers

4. Auggie, Sep 17, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2017

Auggie macrumors regular

Auggie

I finally got all the necessary components for a Duo x2 with a pair of 850 EVO 2TBs for a RAID 0 dual-booting H.S. and Win10. I needed this route to expand my existing 2TB capacity without having to completely replace the 2TB SSD with a $1,600 4TB SSD (EVO), while I only needed a max of 1TB for a Windows install.

A couple findings and notes:
    1. Software RAID via Apple is not recognized under Windows so I had to enable hardware RAID through BIOS. This requires first mounting both SSDs (without which prevents access to the card's BIOS), installing into a "real" BIOS PC (I used my unRAID NAS box with a SuperMicro mobo) and holding Control-C during POST.
    2. After installing it into the MP, I partitioned the drive into two: because of the Windows addressing limits of the hybrid GPT/MBR system which dictates keeping a Windows install within the first 2.2TB of hard drive, I set the first partition to 1TB NTFS and the second to 3TB GPT. Bootcamp does not recognize nor list the RAID so I had to use Disk Utility for partitioning.
    3. After powering down and removing all other drives, I booted off a Win10 DVD installer and installed x64 into the first partition. Reinstalled all the drives and cloned a copy of my original boot SSD to the second partition.
    4. All works perfectly; I am able to boot either into OS X or Win10, through System Preferences or through the Option key method during startup, and under Windows the SATA interface runs in AHCI mode which is noticeably more responsive than ATA/IDE mode.
    5. As I stated, I installed a fresh copy of Win10 so there was no need to pre-install the card while booting a source Windows install in order to download drivers.
    6. I used Carbon Copy Cloner but it failed attempting to copy over the H.S. Recovery partition (it did appear to create the actual recovery partition on the RAID but I haven't confirmed it's presence). Perhaps if I did a clean install a recovery system would have been successfully installed. Since all my testing took all day, I'm not inclined to test this hypothesis as everything else is working to my satisfaction. I will get a proper recovery partition install performed on one of the regular drives.

5. m4v3r1ck thread starter macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

Hi Auggie,

Thanks a bunch for this very valuable additional information and sharing your workflow! I have to admit that due to the fact I lack a PC I never had the chance to test this for myself.

Please keep us posted in case any issue arises with your net Apricorn set-up. Enjoy!

Cheers

6. Auggie macrumors regular

Auggie

I wanted to add one more finding in this setup:

Neither VMWare Fusion nor Parallels Desktop recognize this partition as a Boot Camp eligible Windows for a virtual machine.

Not a big deal as performance is severely lacking when using Windows 10 (and 7 and 8 for that matter) under virtualization. I have a separate 2TB drive that has been partitioned with Windows 7 and Windows XP, which the former is recognized both both Fusion and Parallels.

7. jdryyz macrumors regular

jdryyz

Anyone brave enough to install High Sierra on this setup?

8. Auggie macrumors regular

Auggie

I installed High Sierra first thing after RAIDing and partitioning into two partitions (NTFS + HFS); no problems specific to High Sierra so far, and now I'm on 10.13.1 beta...

9. m4v3r1ck thread starter macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

Thanks for your feedback on macOS High Sierra!

Cheers

10. jdryyz macrumors regular

jdryyz

Good to hear. My concern, of course, was the conversion of my RAID to APFS.

I may wait until the whole Bootcamp partition problem has been solved....that is, if Apple intends to. Maybe they just want us to use the Option key on boot from now on??