Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brosenz

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
I have had the "Boot Option" screen problem come and go with my Sonnet Tempo Pro dual drive card ... it's working now, but I don't know what I did to enable that. Sonnet was able to reproduce the problem (I was on a MP 3,1 at the time, now on a 5,1).

The Solo x2 card does not achieve double throughput speeds if both SATA channels are operating at the same time (such as in RAID-0 with a single card) due to a single controller for both ports. This speed limitation "may" occur with virtual machines using the bootable Windows image (VMware or Parallels) since both OS X and Windows installations are being accessed through the 2 separate SSD interfaces. I haven't tried it... and don't know how you would measure it since it would only occur within the VM.

I have 2 of the Solo x2 cards and was never able to get them to work at the same time ... but I was also fighting controller conflicts with several different eSATA cards (including CalDigit eSATA/USB3.0). Once I removed the eSATA card and went totally USB 3.0 for external drives, I was able to get my current configuration working (MP 5,1):

-- OS X on Sonnet Tempo Pro with RAID-0 SSD
-- Windows 8.1 on Solo X2 SSD
-- Inatek 4-port USB 3.0 (new Mac version)

I am using the Orico PCI-E/USB 3.0 card and works really well

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GG5GMKK/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
My slots:

1. GTX-670 PC
2. DUO (now replaced by SOLO)
3. Nvidia 8800GT Mac
4. spare

Waiting for the feedback from Apricorn on the slots.

The Solo x2 requires a PCIe 2.0 slot, 2 lanes wide. You have yours mounted in a 16 lane slot. Does the Duo x2 require more than 4 lanes? Or, do you have a 3,1 Mac Pro?

Lou

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
Old SATA technology strapped on a slow x2 interface. I'd rather see a dual ngff/m.2 pcie or dual Apple flash pcie ssd 8x card. Ive seen cards like this one on aliexpress.com for 6+ months.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
The Solo x2 requires a PCIe 2.0 slot, 2 lanes wide. You have yours mounted in a 16 lane slot. Does the Duo x2 require more than 4 lanes? Or, do you have a 3,1 Mac Pro?

Lou

I'm still on the MP 3.1 Lou.

I'll be testing both cards:
- slot #2 SOLO -> OSX 10.9.2 & Windows 8
- slot #3 DUO -> single SSD's and Raid0 for data/scratch disks

Keep you posted.

----------

Old SATA technology strapped on a slow x2 interface. I'd rather see a dual ngff/m.2 pcie or dual Apple flash pcie ssd 8x card. Ive seen cards like this one on aliexpress.com for 6+ months.

I know the MP 3.1 is old-school-tech, but I want to get max performance for a few more years. Any links to some good info's on these cards?

Cheers

Last edited:

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA

Keep you posted.

----------

I know the MP 3.1 is old-school-tech, but I want to get max performance for a few more years. Any links to some good info's on these cards?

Cheers

I'm sure you know this, but just a reminder that on a 2008 Mac Pro 3,1 only the first 2 slots are PCI-2, the other 2 slots are PCI-1. Your video card is probably in one of the PCI-2 slots, only leaving the adjacent slot for PCI-2 performance with the Velocity x2 cards.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012

Keep you posted.

Hmm, I wonder it they have a Beta Tester for a 5,1?

Lou

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
I'm sure you know this, but just a reminder that on a 2008 Mac Pro 3,1 only the first 2 slots are PCI-2, the other 2 slots are PCI-1. Your video card is probably in one of the PCI-2 slots, only leaving the adjacent slot for PCI-2 performance with the Velocity x2 cards.

Yes, that's a real PITA now, so I'll have to wait for the MP 5.1 feedback from Apricorn. Untill then the DUO is a serious no-go for my MP 3.1. :rolleyes:

BTW, I had the exact same problems booting Windows 8 SSD in bay #1 with the Sonnet SSD Pro.
----------

Hmm, I wonder it they have a Beta Tester for a 5,1?

Lou

Asked Apricorn for some feedback on the MP 4.1/5.1. I can't imgaging they haven't.

Last edited:

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
For now I've put the DUO X2 aside, due to the serious boot issues and re-installed the SOLO X2 in PCIe slot #2 with OS X 10.9.2 & Windows 8 Pro x64. Both booting fine and running very stable. Holding the line for feedback from Apricorn of their test-system and above all how the DUO X2 performs in MP 4.1/5.1.

Thanks a lot for all your feedback and input, keep you updated!
Cheers

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
AD4SAHMSA_main.png

This is a bit more exciting. Many more products available like this. 4x interface. 2x msata, 2x sata. Only $55 from addonics. Description sounds like a Marvell chipset.

Missed this one with 4x msata.
AD4MSPX2%20with%20card.jpg

Even better!

Last edited:

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands

This is a bit more exciting. Many more products available like this. 4x interface. 2x msata, 2x sata. Only $55 from addonics. Description sounds like a Marvell chipset.

Missed this one with 4x msata.
Even better!

Could you please provide some links here when presenting all those 'alternative' goodies? I hate google :D

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
voila:

http://www.addonics.com/products/ad4mspx2.php
http://www.addonics.com/products/ad4sahmsa.php

and even more interesting there's an adapter for real PCIe SSDs (NOT S-ATA):

http://www.addonics.com/products/adm2px4.php

big question: are any of these cards able to boot in a Mac Pro???

You could TRY before you BUY? :D

Oke guys, done some reading about mSATA / M2. But what's the technical advantage over a SSD PCIe card running at SATA-III too? The same man a smaller suit :confused:

For now I'll be testing the Apricorn (alike) products.

Cheers

mikeboss

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2009
switzerland
an SSD attached via S-ATA can go as high as approx. 500 MB/Sec whereas a real PCIe (4 lanes) SSD typically tops out at more than 1 GB/Sec

Last edited:

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
The cards appear to be based on Marvell chipsets based on their description. The same vendor supplying current Apricorn cards, although running on the 4x interface makes them more exciting!

voila:

http://www.addonics.com/products/ad4mspx2.php

DPUser

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2012
Rancho Bohemia, California
The cards appear to be based on Marvell chipsets based on their description. The same vendor supplying current Apricorn cards, although running on the 4x interface makes them more exciting!
One very cool product at a very modest $55 price if I remember correctly. Paired with four Samsung EVO 1TB mSATA drives... whoa!

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
voila:

Forgive my ignorance, but what specifically makes this one more interesting? I'd like to know the answer to the boot question too. Perhaps a email to addonics could answer the question.

Never mind, I should have read a couple more posts before asking. My apologies...

With all the additional information, for me, the Apricorn Velocity DUO X2 still seems more interesting if you are performance minded. JMHO

Last edited:

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Apricorn has suspended their tests (and at least their feedback) of the Velocity DUO X2 in MP's 3.1 - 5.1. Keep you posted later on...

Loa

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2003
Québec
Even better!

handheldgames,

Do you have an idea of what the maximum, real-world throughput of that device would be (in a 2009 MP)? What if we use 4 mSATA M550 SSDs in a RAID0 set-up?

Thanks

P.S. I sent Addonics the Mac boot question. Hope they respond.

Loa

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2003
Québec
Here's Addonics' reply regarding Mac boot:

"The AD4MSPx2 has an OPTION ROM compatible with BIOS-based motherboards. I don't know if you can boot a Mac using that card, since I don't know if a Mac can be made to initialize a card using an OPTION ROM that's traditionally used for Windows PC machines to boot up. The card is AHCI compliant so UEFI might be able to talk to it that way."

Loa

ShawnF

macrumors regular
May 10, 2014
Here's Addonics' reply regarding Mac boot:

"The AD4MSPx2 has an OPTION ROM compatible with BIOS-based motherboards. I don't know if you can boot a Mac using that card, since I don't know if a Mac can be made to initialize a card using an OPTION ROM that's traditionally used for Windows PC machines to boot up. The card is AHCI compliant so UEFI might be able to talk to it that way."

Loa

I have bought the Dual Hybrid HDD model:

I am using a 2009 Mac Pro with firmware 5.1. I have 2 bootable drives - OSX Mavericks and Windows 7 in my Bootcamp drive. After installing on slots 2 and 3, I find that you can install and boot OSX. But the drive appears as an orange icon on desktop instead of the internal drive icon.

It doesn't support bootcamp - meaning if you clone a Bootcamp partition/drive onto an Msata and install it on the PCI-E card, it won't work. However, if you have a Bootcamp drive in the Mac Pro (using the internal SATA II), on boot up the card will detect the drive in the BIOS and you can then enter into Windows as per normal.

Now I am thinking of getting the Quad because the marketing copy says it can be "used as an OS drive". I really would like to get Windows 8 to boot off PCI-E instead of the internal SATA II.

Hope that helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.